PDA

View Full Version : need help with backswing

striker12
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
ok for the past month i have had a video on my bowling and i have been seeing that my backswing keeps getting higher and higher and its throwing me off with my speed and i have moved my feet back at the start of approach and when i do that my ball speed seems to go up higher so im thinking of maby changing my backswing abit my body comes down sideways abit and you can go and see my video and see what i do just my backswing is higher.

i want to straighten my body up to the lane more so instead of my body leaning forward as much and turning i need to work on getting just the backswing to move but with my shoulder it will go back straight to a certine limit then my shoulder to turn outwards from my body witch on the down swing the arm has to come back in and sometimes it dose not come back in and makes me pull the ball.

dose anyone know anyway i can fix my backswing so i can keep the ball in the swing plain and not keep having a problem with the speed every week.

Greenday
03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Change how high you start with the ball. Whether you start it as high as your chest or as low as your hips will change how fast your swing is.

SouthpawTRK
03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I agree with Greenday on how high you start with the ball; starting with the ball in a lower position should help bring down the speed a bit. While it may lower your ball speed, it may lower your rev rate (hopefully, a senior member can chime in on this).

striker12
03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
guys heres a link to the recent video i took about 3 weeks ago my arms are as low as i can go my right shoulder even hangs down abit because that's the only way i can stop my self from moving left to much, i hold the ball at my waste and always have but now my backswing is going way above my head with my 14lb and 15lb balls.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/13759-new-bowling-video-and-abit-different-style

SouthpawTRK
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
while you have lowered the starting position of your ball to help lower your ball speed; it looks like you are using more muscle on the down swing. perhaps trying to have a more pendulum type of swing would help; just let the momentum of the ball do the work.

striker12
03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
while you have lowered the starting position of your ball to help lower your ball speed; it looks like you are using more muscle on the down swing. perhaps trying to have a more pendulum type of swing would help; just let the momentum of the ball do the work.

i have done that and its making the ball go higher and making it go down the lane faster but i seem to have lost revs since my swing went higher but on thursday when my taxes come in i will go to the bowling allie and try to keep my body up higher but also get a few shots of me bowling and see if i should back up on the approach because im at the closes dots to the lanes.

Tampabaybob
03-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Striker, just watched the video again, stopping and starting it several times. I may have a cure for you, but you're going to have to change a few things. First of all you lean quite a bit (right shoulder down) on your approach. While this is not bad, it enables you to muscle the ball more. I would try bringing your shoulder up just a bit and getting your shoulder down on the last step. Also, your feet are very fast. If you could control your steps it should be slow, slow, quick quick. Remember, you want to try to use gravity only in your swing plane, until you hit the explosion pointe which is as your thumb starts to exit the ball. As far as raising or lowering the ball, we used to teach if you wanted to speed up the ball you'd raise the ball in your stance and lower it to slow it down. With the advent of digital cameras and computers, they have proven that it's really just the opposite. By lowering the ball you actually allow your arm to go higher, so raise the ball in your stance and try that as well.

I know that's a lot to swallow, but give these things a try and let me know if they help. If not we'll go to plan B...tieing an anchor to your feet.....LOL

Let me know.

striker12
03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Striker, just watched the video again, stopping and starting it several times. I may have a cure for you, but you're going to have to change a few things. First of all you lean quite a bit (right shoulder down) on your approach. While this is not bad, it enables you to muscle the ball more. I would try bringing your shoulder up just a bit and getting your shoulder down on the last step. Also, your feet are very fast. If you could control your steps it should be slow, slow, quick quick. Remember, you want to try to use gravity only in your swing plane, until you hit the explosion pointe which is as your thumb starts to exit the ball. As far as raising or lowering the ball, we used to teach if you wanted to speed up the ball you'd raise the ball in your stance and lower it to slow it down. With the advent of digital cameras and computers, they have proven that it's really just the opposite. By lowering the ball you actually allow your arm to go higher, so raise the ball in your stance and try that as well.

I know that's a lot to swallow, but give these things a try and let me know if they help. If not we'll go to plan B...tieing an anchor to your feet.....LOL

Let me know.

thanks bob i will defiantly give these things a try but on thursday that's when my taxes should be in the bank and i will go up and give these things a try i'm also watching the video and taking notes soo i can take the notes with me for when i go and bowl i will get 3 games and everygame try something different untill i find the right one that works for me.

i like the plan b but i dont think it will work i think i would still be fast we might have to tie a truck to my feet lol

mxjosh
03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
It appears u are a cranker by the looks of your fwd swing. A lot of muscle being used. Also the twisting of your forearm and wrist in your backswing also suggests a muscle swing rather than a free swing. Too much going on back there. My back swing is higher than yours. but I don't use much muscle.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/885479_10151560012441197_2038066160_o.jpg

You can practice a free swing just by standing in place. Push the ball out and let it swing your arm on its own. When gravity is in control, your arm/wrist shouldn't be twisting behind your back. Very hard to repeat that same twist in your backswing every single time. Gravity never changes...so it eliminates a variable.

striker12
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
It appears u are a cranker by the looks of your fwd swing. A lot of muscle being used. Also the twisting of your forearm and wrist in your backswing also suggests a muscle swing rather than a free swing. Too much going on back there. My back swing is higher than yours. but I don't use much muscle.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/885479_10151560012441197_2038066160_o.jpg

You can practice a free swing just by standing in place. Push the ball out and let it swing your arm on its own. When gravity is in control, your arm/wrist shouldn't be twisting behind your back. Very hard to repeat that same twist in your backswing every single time. Gravity never changes...so it eliminates a variable.

yeah i have stopped that kinda i was holding my hand in the but on the backswing my hand is on the inside of the ball from the drop at the stance to the top of the swing but the video i have is 3 weeks old but add maby 2 feet my best guess higher up my backswing gose's

aussiedave
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
guys heres a link to the recent video i took about 3 weeks ago my arms are as low as i can go my right shoulder even hangs down abit because that's the only way i can stop my self from moving left to much, i hold the ball at my waste and always have but now my backswing is going way above my head with my 14lb and 15lb balls.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/13759-new-bowling-video-and-abit-different-style
From what I can see in the video, your action seems fine for what you are doing. One way to keep the backswing lower is to keep your shoulders more square on to the pins throughout your delivery. You will sacrifice some speed doing this but that is part of getting your timing under control.
What makes you say your timing is out - seemed okay to me.
ad.

striker12
03-19-2013, 06:11 PM
From what I can see in the video, your action seems fine for what you are doing. One way to keep the backswing lower is to keep your shoulders more square on to the pins throughout your delivery. You will sacrifice some speed doing this but that is part of getting your timing under control.
What makes you say your timing is out - seemed okay to me.
ad.

thanks but thing is my backswing is higher but if i square up more with the pins my arm will go to the right i will see if i can find the video of my old bowling on here and you will see what i mean.

but as i timing my feet go fast sometimes but when i stay the same with the feet my arm will go higher witch means i have to slow my feet down more.

mxjosh
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
So its sounds like u are opening up more with your shoulder to compensate for your arm moving right when squared up. when u open up to correct an arm problem, your backswing is free to move higher. the more u open the higher it goes.

Try sending video of you squared up like u said. perhaps the problem is not your backswing at all.

striker12
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
So its sounds like u are opening up more with your shoulder to compensate for your arm moving right when squared up. when u open up to correct an arm problem, your backswing is free to move higher. the more u open the higher it goes.

Try sending video of you squared up like u said. perhaps the problem is not your backswing at all.

i'm trying to find my video here on the boards of my old bowling style witch is alot different then the style im doing know but only problem with the old way i use to move my hands alot untill i started the approach so just give me abit to find it.

striker12
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
heres my old bowling style when i was more sq with the pins but my normal strike shot is not how high my backswing is know but in this video some of the backswings on my spare shots is like when i was shooting down at the 3 pin abit in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7hDX_TVKX8

mxjosh
03-20-2013, 12:22 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/mxjosh18/needhelpwithbackswing-WindowsInternetExplorerprovidedbyYahoo_2013-03-19_21-25-37.jpg

See your shoulders? completely open as far as they gonna go. This is definitely not more squared up. Is this the video u meant to post?

striker12
03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/mxjosh18/needhelpwithbackswing-WindowsInternetExplorerprovidedbyYahoo_2013-03-19_21-25-37.jpg

See your shoulders? completely open as far as they gonna go. This is definitely not more squared up. Is this the video u meant to post?

no this is not the video it loaded the wrong one i tryed to fix it by loading the other video but i cant get it to load up on here at all.