PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a ball suggestion for heavy oil

Washout
03-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi all, back in the fall I returned to bowling after probably a 16+ year hiatus, and I am loving it. I jumped in without really doing any research on which ball is for me. I ended up getting a Brunswick C-System 3.5, which has worked well for me, however I would like a ball that I can flirt with the gutter a little more and will take a sharper line towards the pocket, the C-System takes a more gradual approach. I am pretty good at hitting my mark so I think I can handle taking that kind of line. The lanes I play on are heavily oiled, so I cant do that with my current ball. My C-System is fantastic at picking up the 10pin so I plan to always keep it in my bag.

Here is some info about my game

185 Average
258 High Game
652 High Series
Right Handed
High Rev Rate(not sure on the exact #, but probably around 20-22)
I throw from board 30 towards the 3rd arrow at a medium speed.

I've been looking at the DV8 Brutal Nightmare and the Storm Sync, kind of leaning towards the Brutal Nightmater however.

Any reccomendations are welcome, and appreciated. Thanks for your input!

J Anderson
03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi all, back in the fall I returned to bowling after probably a 16+ year hiatus, and I am loving it. I jumped in without really doing any research on which ball is for me. I ended up getting a Brunswick C-System 3.5, which has worked well for me, however I would like a ball that I can flirt with the gutter a little more and will take a sharper line towards the pocket, the C-System takes a more gradual approach. I am pretty good at hitting my mark so I think I can handle taking that kind of line. The lanes I play on are heavily oiled, so I cant do that with my current ball. My C-System is fantastic at picking up the 10pin so I plan to always keep it in my bag.

Here is some info about my game

185 Average
258 High Game
652 High Series
Right Handed
High Rev Rate(not sure on the exact #, but probably around 20-22)
I throw from board 30 towards the 3rd arrow at a medium speed.

I've been looking at the DV8 Brutal Nightmare and the Storm Sync, kind of leaning towards the Brutal Nightmater however.

Any reccomendations are welcome, and appreciated. Thanks for your input!

Rev rate is usually expressed in revolutions per minute. I assume the 20-22 figure you quote is how many times the revolves form foul line to pin deck. Using a rough guess at the number of feet in a mile and assuming that medium speed is 15 mph I estimate your rev rate at 440 to 490 rpm, which does mean you have a high rev rate.

We don't really need your average, high scores or the fact you're right handed for a recommendation, but its nice to see how well you're doing after such a long layoff and that you're enjoying it. By we i really mean the other people who will post, because I don't have a clue as to what you should buy.

Washout
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I just thought I'd include as much info as possible hehe. I am still in the dark when it comes to selecting a ball and drilling patterns, but I am doing my best to research it before I buy a new ball. I am a big guy and I do tend to crank the ball a lot. I am looking for that type of approach where the ball appears to unload all its energy as soon as it hits the dry.

billf
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Layout will affect the ball reaction more than the ball itself especially for a rev dominant player such as yourself. Being a self-proclaimed cranker I will assume a 90° axis rotation also. Either ball will fit your needs. The Brutal Nighmare comes with a longer warranty (two year compared to one year) and is $20 cheaper.

Greenday
03-21-2013, 01:52 PM
The Brutal Nighmare comes with a longer warranty (two year compared to one year) and is $20 cheaper.

But it doesn't smell like iced cranberry.

Washout
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I ordered a Brutal Nightmare, unfortunately the proshop where I am is closed until the owner comes back from vacation, so one more week with the C-System. There is actually a woman in my league who also uses the Brutal Nightmare and I told my team I can't get it now because its "a girls ball". She actually throws it straight with a forward spin on the ball, funny to watch it pick up speed when it hits the dry. I am very excited to start throwing this ball.