03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Roto Grip Berserk
PAP – 5 over and ˝ up
Ball Speed: 15-17 mph
Rev Rate 300-350
Right Handed
Layout 45x4.5x45 (pin up)
Surface Preparation: Polished

What I wanted from this Ball: To be much stronger than the Bandit and more hook than the outlaw.
Result: Less backend flip than the bandit and more stronger arc than the outlaw.

I tested this ball on our at home house condition on our wood lanes. The house pattern is heavy oil 16-18 ft. and buffed down to 32 ft. Our typical house pattern is not an easy pattern and usually creates carry down on the outsides of the lane and a massive snap in the middle. An out of bounds typically forms quickly and the mid-lane becomes very dry.

I found this ball to not be as skid flip as I expected. On our house pattern, the Berserk gave me a good skid through the front part of the lanes and a hard roll to the pocket. Once I moved right on the approach and allowed the ball to do its thing, it started hitting awesome. I found that the more arcing effect and heavy roll allowed me to tame down my normal line I play and give me a slightly smaller swing to my shot and still carry the pins well. When I got the ball out to the out of bounds, it didn’t react as well as I expected. I took it into my pro shop and put some surface on it and it started to recover well. I decided to polish it back up with a surface of 1500 on it to try an get a happy medium. I found out this combination worked well for me with this ball. I used 800 grit polish for a little more tack on the ball.

Compared to my bandit and outlaw, this ball rolls much sooner and creates much more of an arc. I will utilize this ball when the back ends of the lanes are flying and I want a bit more gradual break and a heavy roll to carry out the corner pins.

I have Drilled up berserks for various customers and have only positive feedback. One customer with a higher speed likes the earlier roll a lot and the other customer has a lower speed and we polished his Berserk to the max. It gives him an awesome backend reaction with no defelction.

I highly recommend to anyone purchasing the Berserk to not over expect this ball to skid and flip at the backend, but to use this ball for an earlier roll condition with a large arcing entry angle.

Sean Baker
Roto Grip/Storm
Pro Shop Staff