PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? Semi weak ball?

sukeetoshyoo88
03-19-2013, 06:30 PM
hey guys,

Im looking into buying a new ball, maybe next month some time. and would like some suggestions, please.
rev-rate: somewhere in the 300s (maybe around 330-360)
ball speed: 15-16mph. takes about 2.6-2.8s to reach the pins hooking the ball.
lane conditions: broken down second shift league

current arsenal
nexxus pin up pin up above middle finger.
versa-max pin up between bridge
-just went to a sarge easter, and my pap changed, never found the new one, so i can't give you distances or angles.

Im looking for a ball that'll go longer and not read the mid-lane as much as either ball.
the nexxus is too strong for bowling second shift, and the versa-max (polished) starts up too early in the 3rd game.
by the end of second/ start of third game in, im sliding just to the right of the gutter, and throwing at 5th arrow. and by the end of the 3rd im lofting a wee bit.

i was thinking maybe a pearl ball drilled similar to the nexxus?

what do you guys think?

Josch
03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
I would look into an entry level reactive. Most of them shouldn't have too much mid lane movement and are great on broken down lanes. I personally have an Ebonite Cyclone which I use when the lanes are dry.

Stormed1
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Since you seem yo like Brunswick stuff i would think originsl DV8 Msrsuder ot Misfit, Storm Frantic or Tropical Heat, Roto Wetcker or Shatter.

billf
03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Cyclone.

sukeetoshyoo88
03-20-2013, 02:17 AM
should mention that the proshop mostly or carries dv8, brunswick, track, hammer, storm, rotogrip. dont think i've seen any ebonite.
i shy away from storm stuffs, due to the scents.

when to the companies generally come out with their new stuff?

Greenday
03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I love my Tropical Breeze for the light oil. The smooth polished surface gives it plenty of length, but the core inside it still allows it to hit the pocket pretty hard.

Zothen
03-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Slingshot is my pick!

Zothen

ecub
03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
If you like Brunswick, maybe go with the slingshot. Or if can always pick a strong ball and have it drilled weak.

when to the companies generally come out with their new stuff?

Usually around February and I believe around August.

v33dubfox
03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Why not the Mainstreak?

billf
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Why not the Mainstreak?

Because nobaody makes that. I'm sure you mean't either the Meanstreak or mainstreet tho lol

v33dubfox
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Because nobaody makes that. I'm sure you mean't either the Meanstreak or mainstreet tho lol
Meanstreak sorry... ahah

sukeetoshyoo88
03-23-2013, 04:42 AM
darn...august is too far away.
interesting, never thought of the slingshot, i had always thought it was a plastic ball.
im confused by the meanstreak, on brunswick's site it says it's weaker then the versa-max, but the perfect scale is higher?
what's normally better? a weaker ball drilled strong, or a stronger ball drilled weak?

anyone have experience with the hammer arson pearl?

J Anderson
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
darn...august is too far away.
interesting, never thought of the slingshot, i had always thought it was a plastic ball.

what's normally better? a weaker ball drilled strong, or a stronger ball drilled weak?

Why waste money on a high end ball and then drill it so it won't work on the condition its designed for?

sukeetoshyoo88
03-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Why waste money on a high end ball and then drill it so it won't work on the condition its designed for?

good point

ecub
03-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Some people like the colors and/or cover stock of a strong ball. And if it doesn't go well, you can always plug & drill it for a stronger layout.

Rdmonster
03-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't consider the Marauder that was suggested to be a weak ball by any stretch...the misfit might fit the bill though.

Hammer
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
How about a urethane ball like the Hammer Blue Hammer with the pin up above the ring finger? I bowl on THS pattern that is sometimes on the dry side. I have no trouble standing with the arch of my slide foot on board 26 and belly it out to anywhere from board 5 to 10 and have a controlled arcing hook to the pocket. It is easy to make it do different things with different hand positions.

sukeetoshyoo88
04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
thanks the for suggestions guys,
but after talking with my pro-shop, i ended up going with a 300a since they have it in stock.
i told him to hold off on drilling it until this sunday, when i go to pick it up.
im guessing i should drill it pin up (maybe a little lower then the versa), and farther pin to pap than my versa max?
or would you guys say that, since it's a weaker ball, i should keep the pin around where the versa max is?
im sure the pro-shop will most likely decide, but i would like to see what you guys think.

GoodGorilla
04-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Meanstreak sorry... ahah

I just had a meanstreak drilled yesterday. The first 6 games I bowled was on a lane that was completly dry, the ball would hook from gutter to gutter. I ended up hooking my spare ball and urathane. Today I played 7 games on a condition which was half way burnt up, however the ball ended up having more hook than any of my other balls and I had to play the far outside. What I like about the ball is that has good length before it turns really hard, but on dry oil the turn is huge and overshoots the target even deep outside. I don't think the ball is good for dry conditions at all, and bowling magazine said the same thing.

sukeetoshyoo88
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I just had a meanstreak drilled yesterday. The first 6 games I bowled was on a lane that was completly dry, the ball would hook from gutter to gutter. I ended up hooking my spare ball and urathane. Today I played 7 games on a condition which was half way burnt up, however the ball ended up having more hook than any of my other balls and I had to play the far outside. What I like about the ball is that has good length before it turns really hard, but on dry oil the turn is huge and overshoots the target even deep outside. I don't think the ball is good for dry conditions at all, and bowling magazine said the same thing.

the versa max i have, which isn't supposed to be that much stronger then the meanstreak, does not do well on dry conditions either.
it's got about a 4 3/4" pin up. and it just arcs to the brooklyn side or hits the pocket with nothing on it, i really gotta try and find enough oil where it'll hold the line, and then start hooking in the back midlane.

the 300a i just drilled last night, has a 5" pin down, and on the same dry conditions, standing and aiming at the same spot, it goes longer, turns harder, and hits harder.
haven't used it on a medium condition yet, so we'll see how it compares in more oil.