PDA

View Full Version : How high is your backswing?

ghoul31
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
How high do you take your backswing?

I don't see how guys like Pete Weber get it so high.

swingset
03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Start with your ball lower, and drop your left shoulder as your swing goes up. You can go vertical if you do this. The left shoulder is the key....watch the pro's and you'll see.

The danger is, of course, that this adds in another gross motor movement and thus complicates the swing plane and amount of coordination to stay on target....higher you go, the harder (in general) it is to be consistent.

Mine is only slightly higher than parallel to the lane surface, because any higher and my accuracy goes to crap.

e-tank
03-20-2013, 10:45 AM
pretty low right now. Im working on getting it to parallel. I have tried the pba style high back swing but the speed easily overpowers my revs and i end up throwing a straight ball

sprocket
03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
What backswing? I bowl thumbless and have very little backswing, yet my speed is decent.

J Anderson
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I think mine is just about shoulder high.

Judy clemons
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I am not sure but I( would like to know the anser to that question too.

mxjosh
03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Sorry stupid phone.

Anyways, pete weber opens up quite a bit. I personally cant be consistent doing that but some people can. Its not a style most coaches will teach to a new bowler. The only pro bowler i see that defies the body is Mike Fagan. He doesnt appear to open up like Weber but his shoulder really lets that arm go high. Must have gumby joints or something.

billf
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I use to think my backswing was about parallel. Then I saw a coach who asked why my backswing was so high. Turns out it was well above my head. It's taken a lot of work to get it lower (bottom of head). Yes, the more I open up the higher the backswing gets.

panbanger
03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Mine is pretty much parallel to my head.