PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Back Swing

Dv8Pig
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
For a few years now my back swing has gotten unintentionally progressively higher. Its well above my head at this point. I am hoping someone could give me some tips on how i can lower it. I've tried moving closer to the foul line to shorten my steps but that hasn't seemed to change much. I have a 5 step approach. I try to keep the ball stationary until my first timing step is complete. I know the push away can dictate the hight of the back swing. I do push the ball forward and out and let the weigh of the ball guide the swing. Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

scottymoney
03-22-2013, 01:52 PM
The question I have for you, is why do you want to lower your back swing? Backswing height should not be a problem unless you are having speed issues and or the back swing is not straight. Don't really worry about height, just make sure you are using a striaght arm and you are using the desired speed you want.

In the book The game Changer, Mark Baker talks about that it is all about timing and backswing is not an issue as long as timing is correct. The timing spot is when your slide foot contacts the floor to start sliding, your arm should be parallel with the floor at that moment.

Dv8Pig
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I want to lower it because it is so hight that my hand is forced rotate to where my thumb points towards the ceiling. I want to lower it just a bit so I can keep my thumb pointing towards the floor/right wall. I just feel that this big back swing gives me more room for error and causes me to be inaccurate from time to time. Thanks!

mxjosh
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
During practice, focus on not turning your hand. Keep it flat and palm facing down. Should stop the arm from moving any further. When practicing be aware of your hand/wrist only. Feel it stay flat. Purposefully keep the palm facing down.

Dv8Pig
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
This sounds great. Im usually doing that but also trying to change my steps to compensate. Next practice I will focus on the hand and wrist only. Thanks!

Hammer
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
On league nights and practice I always focus on my hand staying on top of the ball on the backswing and my hand staying behind the ball on my forward swing and a straight wrist at release. Doing this is good for putting power to the ball and getting good revs. If you turn your hand too early before the release you will lose getting power into the ball. When you think about it how much power can you put into your ball at release if your hand is on the side of the ball. If you are pushing a car would you want to push from the side of the car or from behind the car to get more forward pushing power? Works the same with a bowling ball. Keep pushing from behind the ball at the release to get good forward power on the ball and revs to get it to do good things going down the alley.

Dv8Pig
03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Great tips. However, my release is ok. I stay behind the ball and produce plenty of revs. I am just looking to lower the swing.

swingset
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Great tips. However, my release is ok. I stay behind the ball and produce plenty of revs. I am just looking to lower the swing.

Your left shoulder controls the height of the swing...it's the "stop limit"...all the other stuff like where you start your swing, speed, timing, it all can change the height but if your left shoulder is up parallel to your right shoulder, the backswing can only go parallel to the lane (unless you're made of rubber).

If your shoulder opens up (left shoulder drops as the backswing goes up), the backswing can go higher.

Moderate the swing with your shoulder, as a limit to how high it can go. It's mentally easier too.

billf
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
The backswing isn't the cause of the inaccuracy. Thumb is pointing up, so you're inside the ball? You want the hand inside the ball. What is your spine tilt?