PDA

View Full Version : I'm Addicted To Buying New Bowling Balls

RoccoRock
03-23-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't know why but I am constantly wanting to buy a new ball. In the last two months or so I've bought 3 new balls and I keep looking for even more. I just bought a Marauder a Frantic and a Misfit. The Frantic didn't work out, so it went to eBay. The Marauder is nice, but I really can't use it without re drilling it. The Misfit is good, but so far it has left a few to many 10 pins. So here I am with 2 new balls, and what do I end up using? My year old 508a that I never liked until a few weeks ago, and probably 150 games on it, and it's plugged. So here I am looking for a new 503t. Then I start thinking how odd it is to have two Track balls in a dv8 bag, so I start looking at Track bags. What's wrong with me? ;-)

e-tank
03-23-2013, 04:52 PM
i have the same problem but with used balls. For example i just bought a barely used aura for $65. Hard to pass up a bargain like that

RoccoRock
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah I was looking at used 503t's for around $50. Since I don't use my thumb, span doesn't matter, so a used ball is a bargain for me.

SouthpawTRK
03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with buying new bowling balls; at least that's what I keep telling my wife :)

Not to sound morbid, but life is too short to only own one bowling ball. As long as you taking care of all of your financial responsibilities, why not splurge on a new ball from time to time?

striker12
03-23-2013, 08:42 PM
rocco i also buy too many bowling balls im buying 3 new ones from the proshop the meanstreak brawler,arua paranormal,bullet train(maby), then a track 714c(maby) cant pick between the bullet train and 714C

but my buddy also jsut gave me 5 of his bowling balls to use untill his sholder is better the balls he gave me are. black widow, black widow pearl, black widow sting, jigsaw, blue hammer(urathane) now i got over 20 balls in my house.

Bendial
03-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Hahaha, don't be a slave to marketing man :-). There is nothing wrong with having two track balls in a DV8 bag. Pick a ball you like and roll with it (pun fully intended) and give it time for you to really adjust to it.

Bendial
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
There's nothing wrong with buying new bowling balls; at least that's what I keep telling my wife :)

Not to sound morbid, but life is too short to only own one bowling ball. As long as you taking care of all of your financial responsibilities, why not splurge on a new ball from time to time?

I like your thinking :) bowling is like any hobby, if you love it, invest in it.

Greenday
03-27-2013, 03:39 PM
What exactly is wrong with the balls? Are you throwing the same line with them every time? Are you bowling the same pattern every time?

I mean, I have my favorite line, but on some patterns, no matter what ball I use, that line isn't the right one and is going to leave a lot of ten pins. I have a list of balls that I want (IQ Tour Pearl, Virtual Gravity Nano, Hy-Road, maybe a Lucid...), but if I'm going to play the same line no matter what the pattern is, it won't matter what ball I use.

Well, seeing as you've bowled a 300 before and have shot over 700, I feel like I can safely assume that you can play different lines. I just feel like that's what I jump to (I need a new ball!) instead of looking at what I have and adapting it to the pattern instead.

AZBowla
03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
I would be in the same boat if I had the money to spend on new balls. I really like the new DV8's out there and also have my eye on the Storm IQ Tour Pearl (a.k.a the butterscotch beast). It doesn't help that the guy over at the pro shop I've been going to lately is really chatty and knowledgeable, darn him, he keeps showing me new stuff that I would LOVE to get if I had the cash. Plus my GF wants the new Diva AND the Karma Pearl, so she's getting hooked as well. Then of course there's the money I would spend at the bowling alley playing with all these fun new toys. I guess it's a good thing I'm broke or else.... well, I'd still be broke plus have a bunch of bowling balls with no place to put them lol...

-AZ

RoccoRock
03-27-2013, 08:34 PM
What exactly is wrong with the balls? Are you throwing the same line with them every time? Are you bowling the same pattern every time?

I mean, I have my favorite line, but on some patterns, no matter what ball I use, that line isn't the right one and is going to leave a lot of ten pins. I have a list of balls that I want (IQ Tour Pearl, Virtual Gravity Nano, Hy-Road, maybe a Lucid...), but if I'm going to play the same line no matter what the pattern is, it won't matter what ball I use.

Well, seeing as you've bowled a 300 before and have shot over 700, I feel like I can safely assume that you can play different lines. I just feel like that's what I jump to (I need a new ball!) instead of looking at what I have and adapting it to the pattern instead.

I've been throwing it very consistent lately. The Misfit has been leaving the 10 pin a lot so far, and even the 9 pin a few times. Not all shots are perfect, but the same shots with my 508A are strikes. I've used the Misfit on a few different lane conditions so far, all similar results. I'm sure it will come around soon, hopefully when I bowl my league tomorrow night. I have a tourney Sunday night and would love to rock the Misfit all night. I'll start the first game with it, then see what happens from there.

CeKnauss
03-28-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm up to nearly 40 bowling balls... Bowling is a hobby I enjoy. Buying a few different balls and learning what layouts work for me, what grip changes can do for me, and what surface changes I can make present me with a wide variety and a great arsenal. I love some of my older balls, but some of the new designs are working well for me. It is all about dedication and interest. Bowling makes me feel good, so I spend money on it. Too bad ladies haven't realized I spend money on things I enjoy. Lol

RoccoRock
03-28-2013, 11:39 PM
I've been throwing it very consistent lately. The Misfit has been leaving the 10 pin a lot so far, and even the 9 pin a few times. Not all shots are perfect, but the same shots with my 508A are strikes. I've used the Misfit on a few different lane conditions so far, all similar results. I'm sure it will come around soon, hopefully when I bowl my league tomorrow night. I have a tourney Sunday night and would love to rock the Misfit all night. I'll start the first game with it, then see what happens from there.

So the night started with same old problems, actually worse. My first practice game the Misfit left 4 straight 9 pins. Tried moving, making some adjustments, and just got worse. League started, and the 10 pins came. I decided I couldn't take it and pulled out the 508A. I couldn't get going with that either, and even left the 10 pin twice in 4 frames with that ball. I figure if I'm gonna leave 10 pins, may as well do it with the band new ball I just spent $110 on.

After switching back, the Misfit worked like I had hoped. No bad leaves, and the only non strikes where when I did not throw it well. I swear I was really close to going into the pro shop and buying a 503T. So for now, no new ball, I'll keep working with the Misfit.

GoodGravy
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Nothing wrong with buying different equipment....Nothing at all. Just put it in prospective and think about all the other sports out there and the differnt brand names that go along with them. Personally I went through a dozen differnt types of hockey sticks and about 4 differnt types of skates, 4 or 5 different brands of base ball gloves, different football cleats, etc. ect. ect..... No different than going through bowling balls until you find the kind/type that works best for you.

I have 3 main balls I throw right now and I just ordered another one and should be here by the end of next week. I have my eye on at least 2 more that I am going to get during the summer to see if I want to add them to the bag for next fall league.

Embrace the sport and try the different gear...you will find what works for you and then you will stick with it.

e-tank
04-07-2013, 11:41 AM
i just got a used taboo spare a couple days ago. This is prob a false hope, but hopefully i can feel good about my arsenal now. Only area i could see that needs some filling is a pearl ball