PDA

View Full Version : What is bowling oil doing to my hands???

Bendial
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a totally weird topic but I had to ask someone to see if I'm not alone. Since I've started bowling (about 4 months now), my fingertips and inner hand have become prunes, especially my bowling hand (right). It's even more noticeable after a game on fresh oil, but it basically looks like I was sitting in the bath tub for an hour and just got out. The problem is its not really going away either, even after washing/scrubbing to make sure I get the oil off my hands. Am I just having a weird reaction with the oil or is this sort of thing common? I'm wondering if I should start wearing a glove? The wrinkles persist for days, I haven't seen them go away, but it does get better with time (until I bowl again)

GeoLes
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
All I can think of is to ask "Are you wiping you ball before each rol?l", especially if you ae using a reactive resin ball (dull colored ball, as opposed to shiny ball). That is normal procedure for many bowlers. It keeps oil accumulation down and ensures better back end reaction. Any piece of terrycloth will do. make it part of your pre-shot ritual.

Bendial
03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't always wipe my ball but yeah I really should start, good advice thank you. Does anyone know what the oil is actually made of?

mxjosh
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Found this:

The oil contains a mixture of mineral oil, a leveling agent, and an antistatic agent. The mineral oil is a combination of paraffin and petroleum based mineral oils, and in some embodiments, the mixture also includes isopropyl alcohol, a fluorescent whitening agent, and a lubricity agent.

CeKnauss
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
They also make and sell Rosin pouches and grip sacks if you are experiencing excessive moisture on your hands. I know for some people, they sweat a ton while bowling, and those products help minimize slippage and pruning of the fingers. May not be the best solution for you, but it is an idea.

bowl1820
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Not to say it can't happen, but I don't think it's the lane oil.

Do you use a dry bag a lot? your possibly over drying your hands.

Or are you one of the those bowlers that uses their bare hand to rub ball cleaner over their ball?

or You could be getting dehydrated, might try consuming more water.

got_a_300
03-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Hmmmm.......... I've never heard of anyone having problems
with their hand(s) from getting the lane oil on them could be
as bowl1820 said if your using a rosin bag you could be over
drying your hand(s) maybe. :confused:

steven408
03-26-2013, 02:30 AM
try this u can buy it at some auto parts store

http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Working-Hands-Cream-3-4/dp/B00121UVU0

americantrotter
03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I have a callous on my middle finger from my release. It has now gotten a little brown almost like a smoker of many years. I just assume it's the oil coming through the grips. I wipe after every shot and clean with a towel or see saw. Never really concerned me though.

panbanger
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
It doesnt sound like a typical allergic reaction to something, but it also isn't common. After you finish bowling and get home, you could try a cortizone cream (like Cortaid) on your hands. If that clears up the problem...then I would guess you have an uncommon allergic reaction to the oil.

If you use a rosin bag, you may actually be allergic to the rosin. Stop using the rosin bag and see if that corrects the problem.

Basically try to narrow down the choices of what could be causing the reaction in your hands.

Bendial
03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Just an update on this one, I stopped using my dry bag and I'm wiping my ball before every shot now and the problem has gotten a lot better. I think it was just a combination of my skin being WAY too dry and then the oil just accentuating the wrinkles because its, well, oil. Thanks everyone for the tips :)

panbanger
03-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Glad it's getting better! One thing I do in these dry months (when I remember) is use Lubriderm on my hands. They get really dry especially on the knuckles and it helps quite a bit. I'm a typical guy in that I'm not that big in to skin care, and Lubriderm is unscented and works well. When I remember to use it, that is.