PDA

View Full Version : Standard Ball Polish vs Storm Reacta products

GeoLes
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I was browsing the Storm website and noticed that Storm manufactures a line of "Reacta" ball care products. One claims to "clean, shine and maintain tacky feel." There are separarte products just to add tackiness to the cover stock too.

I thought all I needed was a general product to clean the ball and a standard ball polish for pearlized finished balls. Am I missing something here with the tacky finish agents? are they just for the serious crankers and pros? are they hype?

Should this change my concept of ball care at all? I roll a Storm Lucid, and Raw Hammer Jacked ( both balls with reactive coverstock-no polish or tacky agent required.), But I also roll a Brunswick Zone C-System Ultimax with pearl finish as well as a vintaged Columbia 300 TI Messenger Pearl. I clean all balls with denatured alcohol and apply a ball polish that was purchased from the LPS (Local Pro shop). I don't own a ball spinner. Just rub it on pretty evenly, let it dry and buff to a shine.

Is there an advantage to using these Reacta products over my current routine? Do I need a ball spinner, or is standard manual application sufficient. I bowl local lane league one night a week and practice about twice a week on my own.

Old lefty
03-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I use "simple green" to remove the oil from my equipment,it's bio-degradable and ALOT cheaper than manufactures products,I do own a ball spinner ,bought it years ago..it does help when polishing my pearlized balls...BUT 1st clean them good.
good luck and keep Bowling.

swingset
03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm skeptical and hesitant to use anything that purports to change the tackiness or surface of the ball, in regards to cleaning.

Here's why - I want predictability from throw to throw, game to game, week to week. If a fluid has that kind of effect on the ball, then it follows that it will allow more grip until the cover dirties or wears, and that's going to change the properties of the cover mid-game...or between one week and another.

Even if it doesn't have a drastic effect that I could perceive, I've been cleaning with simple green/alcohol mixed 50/50 for a long time and it works great so I don't feel like experimenting with a specialized product that cannot possibly offer me more consistency.

YMMV.

SouthpawTRK
03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I am currently using Storm's Reacta Foam for the past couple of months. It seems like it cleans the ball better than the other cleaner that I was using that was similar to Windex. The foam will bubble/fizzle when it comes in contact with any oil on your ball. After using it, the ball has a tackier feel probably due to the alcohol in the product. However, the ball is not tacky (as in sticky) to the touch. I also recently bought the Power House Energizer for bowling balls with shiny surfaces and the Power House Clean N' Dull for bowling balls with matte finishes. I like the Power House product out of all the cleaners that I've tried.

GeoLes
03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the very useful info.