PDA

View Full Version : Sean Rash Fingers

mxjosh
03-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Idk if any one has noticed or read how Rash has is grip. It appears as those he is in between finger tip and conventional. What u think? Is it perception? Anybody read why he does this?

http://www.pba.com/Content/images/gallery/Rash_Sean_480X380_2_Scorpion.jpg

Keithalw
03-27-2013, 04:12 AM
I dunno looking at it it does look like a mix of conventional and figertip... I am trying to find out more about it now

bowl1820
03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
The grip that uses a fingertip middle finger and a conventional grip ring finger called a Sarge Easter grip. There are some other threads about it.

I believe Sean is using a semi-fingertip here, which is a old style grip not really used anymore.

sprocket
03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
I think Sean just uses a basic semi-fingertip grip with both his fingers inserted between the first and second knuckle. I can't think of another pro I've seen who uses that grip. With the speed of his release, I am at loss as to how he gets his fingers out so cleanly. How do they not hang up??

75lockwood
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Picture of Seans grip on a brawler (posted march 19th)

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/5287_525788030806486_176317183_n.jpg

scottymoney
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
It looks like he uses grips because of the crazy amount of tape he uses.

I suck at bowling
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Sean Rash uses conventional.

The colors you see are the tape he uses.

bowl1820
03-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Sean Rash uses conventional.

Not according to him.
Here's from his facebook page:

Question: "Sup Sean! I noticed that it looks like you don't use fingertip grips? Do you use a semi/conventional? I'm thinking about switching and was curious about a conventional grip's benefits?

P.S. congrats on your last win"

Reply: "I don't use grips. It cuts my fingers. So I use semi-finger tip but use a lot of bevel."

I suck at bowling
03-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Not according to him.
Here's from his facebook page:

Question: "Sup Sean! I noticed that it looks like you don't use fingertip grips? Do you use a semi/conventional? I'm thinking about switching and was curious about a conventional grip's benefits?

P.S. congrats on your last win"

Reply: "I don't use grips. It cuts my fingers. So I use semi-finger tip but use a lot of bevel."

Thats news to me!

I always thought that he used conventional, lol. I'm always interested to see what grips pros use.

What is the exact definition of Semi fingertip?

Ming
03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
What's the purpose for tucking in the pinky?

bowl1820
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Thats news to me!

I always thought that he used conventional, lol. I'm always interested to see what grips pros use.

What is the exact definition of Semi fingertip?

The semi-fingertip grip is very similar to the fingertip grip with one slight difference. The fingers are inserted into the ball so that the edge of the finger hole is halfway between the first and second knuckle.

It's a old style and isn't really used anymore.

I suck at bowling
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

I think it causes the ball to come off cleaner.

I really don't know exactly what it affects, though someone on here will.

bowl1820
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

To Help get a more powerful release, increased rev's.

See this link :
http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/tucking-your-bowling-pinky-finger

mxjosh
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Interesting. Idk how he throws the way he does with that style.

sprocket
03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure I agree with what the link says about what tucking the pinky does. I believe it just pushes the ball up slightly, shifting weight towards the index finger. This helps prevent early turn and makes it easier to keep the hand on the inside of the ball.

edpup316
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Belmo inserts his fingers in the same way sean does(except for his thumb obviously) and im guessing its probably for the same reason since he throws it faster and with more revs then Sean.

RoccoRock
03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Belmo inserts his fingers in the same way sean does(except for his thumb obviously) and im guessing its probably for the same reason since he throws it faster and with more revs then Sean.

You beat me to it, Belmo does indeed use a semi fingertip grip. The difference, aside from the obvious lack of a thumb on Belmos part, Belmo does use finger inserts. He just uses bigger inserts, and pushes further in. I was using a similar grip last summer, but got away from it when I was going back and forth between one and two handed. I just switched back to semi fingertip this week, and I love the feel. I'm going to shorten the span on one of my older balls to try semi fingertip one handed.

HughScot
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
It's called whatever works best. No such thing as out of date, etc. If it allows you to score better you're going to do it. The advantage a pro has is the number of different combinations he can try at no cost.