03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Roto Grip Defiant Soul
PAP – 5 over and ½ up
Ball Speed: 15-17 mph
Rev Rate 300-350
Right Handed
Layout 4x4x2
Surface Preparation: Polished

What I wanted from this Ball: Clean throughout the front portion of the lanes creating hold when the heads dried up a bit and recovery when the oil carried down to the outside portion of the lanes.

Result: Exactly what I expected. Good length and some recovery with a consistent arc.

I tested this ball on our at home house condition on our wood lanes. The house pattern is heavy oil 16-18 ft. and buffed down to 32 ft. Our typical house pattern is not an easy pattern and usually creates carry down on the outsides of the lane and a massive snap in the middle. An out of bounds typically forms quickly and the mid-lane becomes very dry.

The Defiant Soul is a hybrid cover-stock and I tested this ball on a fresh oil pattern immediately after the lanes were oiled. I started at my typical area which is 30-35 with my feet and my target around 15 board sending the ball out to the 5 board. The Defiant Soul was clean through the front part of the lane and picked up about the 30ft area down lane and gave me a great arc to the pocket. I tested this ball for 6 games. After each game I moved one board left with my stance and kept the same target area until the 4th-6th game required moving my target to 20 and sending the ball out to the 8 board due to the carry-down. This ball continued to roll clean through the front part of the lanes and kept its arcing motion on the backend. I am very impressed with this ball on our house pattern. I was able to get the ball through our dryer mid-lane conditions and even get some recovery when I sent it wide.

Compared to my Defiant and my Defiant Edge, this ball isn’t as angular as my defiant but much cleaner through the front portion of the lanes. Compared to the Defiant Edge, my Defiant Soul did tend to pick up a little sooner and not flip as hard on the backend as expected on our lane condition. This is a great addition to the Defiant series and is perfect addition for my in-between ball with my Defiant and Defiant Edge.

I have Drilled up 6 Defiant Souls for various customers and have only positive feedback. This is an awesome ball!

I highly recommend to anyone purchasing the Defiant Soul first and deciding which direction to go from there when drilling up Defiant series.

Sean Baker
Roto Grip/Storm
Pro Shop Staff