dewbowler2
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Storm Reign of Power

Layout:

4” x 4” with 2” pin buffer from VAL
PAP:
4-1/2” -> ½” ^

Conditions:

A. Center A- 38’ house pattern*, USBC Nationals patterns both (team and singles and doubles) also Abbey Road, Middle Road and Sunset Strip patterns from Kegel. Kegel Kustodian Lane Walker, AMF HPL lane surface and used the new Kegel Ice lane conditioner.

B. Center B- both 36’ and 39’ house patterns, newest generation Brunswick Anvil Lane surface (less than 1 year on install) Kegel ION machine, type of oil unknown.

C. Center C- 8 lane wood house with typical wood pattern, large volume in heads and middle, but showed a distinct out of bounds if sent right too early. Characteristics of liking to be play up the boards’ aroung 12-13 board or major move to 25 on approach and launching out to 13-15 area at arrows. Silver Bullet lane machine, oil unknown.

Surfaces preps: Factory finish

For reference I throw high track, 15.75 mph, 350+ rpms, using Turbo Lifts and a Switch Grip thumb insert and I am right handed. My span is 4-1/8” middle finger, 1/4” ring finger with laterals being ¼ left, 5/8” right with ¼” reverse on both fingers, Switch Grip thumb at 0 pitch in any direct on thumb. I use a 45 degree oval at a width of .090.

Results: Factory finish;

First I want you to know that I have only 15-20 games on this ball and have not had a chance to change the coverstock finish yet. I can say that if you liked the motion of the Reign of Fire then you can truly appreciate the new Reign of Power! Not the strongest ball on the market, but it will cover some boards with lots of energy at impact!

When I first threw this ball I recorded a low 600 set. Keep in mind I have been throwing both the Lucid and the Sync so my lane play was a little wide open! The next set out was on the Kegel pattern Sunset Strip and I will say this ball played that quite well. I was comfortable throwing it standing 23 out to 12 and knew it would recover with vengeance!

The Reign of Power loves house shots, on any of the 3 surfaces I frequent. It have ample recovery power in factory finish, and only as the lanes started to transition did it appear to struggle clearing the heads.

On both the USBC singles and team patterns this ball was in play! Avoiding a poor release enhanced its reaction, but grabbing or twirling this symmetrical core with this cover combination will definitely let you know of your mistakes.

Overview;

With minimal games and no additional surface modifications the Reign of Power is a keeper. It can become the ‘bench-mark’ ball of the many, liking this balls reaction on multiple lane surfaces and patterns.

I would not be surprised to see a few honor scores come out of nationals this year from people throwing this ball. Tweeners and strokers, get this ball and enjoy instant success!

Please remember, no matter what ball you purchase next, seek an IBPSIA certified professional to help you make your choice and evolve your game to the next level!