PDA

View Full Version : Blisters and downright blood loss

Texasguppie
04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I'll repeat; haven't bowled in 40 years and now I am addicted again.

My right hand after 10-15 games looks like it just spent 10 minutes as a Mike Tyson teething ring.

Right Thumb: Heavy callous on side between first joint and web as well as at the base just above the palm.

Ring Finger: Looking at the fingernail just to the right of it the side tip of that finger has lost a few layers of skin.

Middle Finger: Same view, blister at right side of fingernail.

Now I completely understand that you cannot see my hand. I bowl with a fingertip grip and the ball was drilled by the in-house Pro-Shop that sold them to me. We have messed around with various insert sizes but to no avail. Measurements were taken but they didn't seem to be too extensive with each ball taking less than 5 minutes to determine the measurements.

Please keep in mind that a lot of the bowling terminology regarding proper fitment is foreign to me so...

One other thing; I DO appreciate the time that each of you have taken to help reacquaint me with this wonderful sport.

Sincerely and with great respect,

Ken (sitting at a 172 average after 37 days back in.)

bowl1820
04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Those all sound like fitting problems. Look at the examples on this page

Pros Corner Fitting Tips
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html

Example The fingers sound like:
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fig2.jpg
Excessive Left or Right Pitch, Holes or Inserts Too Tight

Greenday
04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
As far as the fingers go, it sounds like they aren't facing the right way. Clearly too much pressure on the sides of your fingers.

billf
04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Have another pro shop check the fit if the original shop balks at doble checking.

swingset
04-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Fit issue, or horrendous release/over-gripping. Gotta be one or the other...probably the former.

got_a_300
04-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Sounds to me like the span and pitch(s) are maybe off just
a little bit.

I used to have the same kind of things happen to my thumb
and fingers that is until I had my span shortened up just a
tad and used more bevel on the front side of the thumb hole.

I'd also say maybe a little more bevel on the front side of the
thumb hole would help somewhat with the callous you're getting
at the base of your thumb.

Texasguppie
04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Fit issue, or horrendous release/over-gripping. Gotta be one or the other...probably the former.
I believe it's a little of both. Not much time was taken on measurements and after a 40 year layoff I'm certain my release isn't perfect.
What's the downside to going to another ProShop to have the balls plugged, more detailed measurements taken and having the balls redrilled?
I've never owned or rolled a plugged and redrilled ball.

bowl1820
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
I believe it's a little of both. Not much time was taken on measurements and after a 40 year layoff I'm certain my release isn't perfect.
What's the downside to going to another ProShop to have the balls plugged, more detailed measurements taken and having the balls redrilled?
I've never owned or rolled a plugged and redrilled ball.

None really, plugging the holes to change pitch's etc. or to move the thumb a little to adjust the span doesn't really affect the ball at all. your not changing the layout any.

Depending on just what is done, you might not even see the plug. Because they would drill right on the same spot.

got_a_300
04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
The only downside to a plugged ball is if they do not do a good
job on the plugging it may crack/chip on you if they try to get the
plug too harden to fast but other than that there is no issues.

We let our plugging harden overnight I know there are some shops
that try to do the 45 minute to 1 hour plugging and sometimes they
will crack when drilled into or when the ball gets to hot or to cold
the plug will just crack.