PDA

View Full Version : Shell/Cover Thickness

The German Shepherd
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
I have been throwing mostly Storm and Roto Grip equipment since the end of 2011 (when I began my "comeback"). Recently, I was given a used DV8 Too Reckless - a ball I became pretty impressed with. This brought me to purchase a used DV8 Brutal Nightmare that I began throwing this week.

When I first looked the Brutal over, i was a little surprised by the thickness of it's cover. Most of the Storm/Roto balls I have owned have a shell/cover that is nearly an inch in thickness. The Brutal's cover may be 1/2 inch.

Why the differing thicknesses and what effect will this have on the ball???

Jay

bowl1820
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Why the differing thicknesses and what effect will this have on the ball???

Jay

As for any technical aspect on how cover thickness affects the ball, I can't really say.

The main thing is it will be more prone to cracking, like around the holes and such. (My slant HD had a thinner cover than that and started cracking after just a few games.)

While I don't quite subscribe to the glue theory on cracking.

When putting in inserts etc. make sure to place the glue below the level of the coverstock and bevel the finger holes. To help lower the chances of cracks forming. (especially if you have a high track!)

billf
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
From what I've been told but have not been able to verify, the "thinner" cover allows for a more core heavy ball rather than a cover heavy ball. Supposedly DV8 does something different with their covers to allow for it to be thinner while maintaining structural integrity down to 1/4" in thickness.
There was a batch of Revenges that ran where the covers were just under 1/4" and they did crack. It was some sort of communication error between DV8 and the plant making the balls.

All of this was told to me by Brunswick's VP of quality control when I complained about BOTH of my Revenge's cracking.