PDA

View Full Version : A nice cut on my bowling thumb...

sprocket
04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Position round is this coming Monday and we're bowling for the second half championship. Today at work I sliced across the end of my thumb above the nail. It's kind of a pinched ragged cut where I could probably pull a chunk off. I pushed it back together and bandaged it tight.

I heal pretty fast so hopefully it will be healed enough to bowl on Monday. I don't use my thumb except for a few spares anyway, but I always use my thumb for the ten pin.

It gets me thinking though. We have a 22 point lead over second place with a 40 point system. There are seven guys on my team. I have been bowling well for the last six weeks; about 20 pins over my average. I'm probably overdue for a week off. There's no reason they can't win without me this Monday. Even if they went 10 and 30 we would still win the half. Then I would be well rested and healed for sure to bowl for the championship the next week.

What would you do in this situation?

EboniteKid299
04-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Probably not bowl.. sounds like a pretty serious injury no need to make it any worse either

bowl1820
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
You can super glue it shut (google it).

Also A old school trick for the tore up thumb/finger is the potato trick. Cut a hole in a potato and shove your thumb/finger in the hole. (See the bowling movie "Dreamer" he does it in it.). It works good on blisters too.

billf
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I do the potato trick on a regular basis. Yes, I cut my thumb and fingers often at work.

sprocket
04-04-2013, 11:20 PM
You work with your hands like I do. Here's a tip for me: I need to deburr my dang parts right away!
You know how you can tell I'm a good machinist? I still have all my fingers and they are all shaped normally. I've never really gotten a bad injury. This thumb thing is really nothing. Once I cut a knuckle on a surface grinding wheel and cut into the tendon. I needed stitches and didn't bowl for a few weeks. That tendon took forever to heal but I have 100% motion now.

I might have to hit you up for some mechanic advice some time. A friend and I do most of our own car stuff but he knows more than me. Tomorrow or Saturday it's inner and outer tie rods and upper control arms on my Mark VIII.

sprocket
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Well my thumbs all better and I decided to just bowl. But now there's a new problem: I strained my back working on my car yesterday. My lower back is petty sore. Don't ask me to pick anything up off the ground. I do generally heal fast though, so I'm hoping it will loosen up for tonight. I've bowled with a sore back before and usually it doesn't affect me adversely. Sometimes I think it actually helps.

RoccoRock
04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I have been using super glue for years. I use lock tight CA glue. I get cuts from boxes and razor blades all the time. I just super glue them, and get back to work. When I do use my thumb to bowl and I have a blister, a little super glue and I'm good to go.

J Anderson
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Well my thumbs all better and I decided to just bowl. But now there's a new problem: I strained my back working on my car yesterday. My lower back is petty sore. Don't ask me to pick anything up off the ground. I do generally heal fast though, so I'm hoping it will loosen up for tonight. I've bowled with a sore back before and usually it doesn't affect me adversely. Sometimes I think it actually helps.

From my experience bowling against people complaining of bad backs, I'm tempted to concede before we even start bowling. I think its a combination of having to slow down a bit and not trying to put a little extra on the ball in the clutch.

sprocket
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I bowled terrible and my back affected me in a negative way this time. It made no difference because we did well enough as a team to win the half. My average will drop a pin so that's three extra pins handicap for the team next week in the roll off. You never know; that might make a difference. One of the problems was that I misplaced my scotch brite pad and I intended to use it prior to leagues to get a little more hook. I rummaged up another one but it was VERY fine. I still expected it to dull up the ball some, but it appeared to have the opposite effect. I had no reaction at all. The ball was DEAD and the other one I brought hooked even less. I moved as far right as possible but still had a very poor reaction. It's OK though. What if I hadn't bowled tonight and made that mistake NEXT week for the championship? I will practice and BE SURE I have a good reaction before next week.

Tampabaybob
04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Sprocket. Having a bad back myself, I sympathize with you. I always joke with the guys I bowl with, that there is only one solid reason for missing a night of bowling...... DEATH !!! They always laugh about it, but seriously, some of the nights that I have bowled being sick as a dog (wife my wife being pissed at me for going) has been some of my higher scoring nights. It slows you down, your mind can be a little clearer, because you feel like crap, and you're more relaxed, because you just want to get home and into bed !!