PDA

View Full Version : Another new NJian

JTesta1966
04-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Morning people. My name is Jim, from North Jersey. Found this site searching for 10 pin carry help, joined up, and after a couple wrinkles, am finally introducing myself. I bowl in a Friday league in Rockaway, and currently average 216. Started bowling ~18 years ago in Boonton, with my wifes company league after going out and bashing pins in a drunken stupor. Averaged 120 for the first few years, taught myself to hook the ball. Hooked up with an ex PBA friend who honed my game a bit, and have averaged over 200 for the last 15 or so years. Joined the PBA around 2000 (regional), had a kid and couldnt devote enough time to practice and be competitive, so I let it go. At the time I was practicing 30+ games a week and bowling in 3 leagues. Now I bowl 3 games a week in a casual league. I have multiple 300's, multiple 299's, a high series of 804, and a bunch of 11 in a rows. My longest string is 18 in a row, neither game being 300 lol.

Looking forward to chatting with fellow bowlers, maybe some of whom are in the area.

The German Shepherd
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the Boards! Are you bowling in the NJ States or any tournaments? I will be bowling in a tournament in Madison this weekend and also in NJ States in a few weeks...

Jay

BigErn32
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Hey JTesta. Those look like good numbers to me. Did you have success shooting in your PBA tournament days? I keep thinking about trying to take it to that step but want to get a little more confidence going. I have a 205 average right now and would like to pick it up a bit before taking the leap.

Judy clemons
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Howdy there Jtesta, a big Texas welcome to the boards, your welcome here as the flowers in May!
Us pin pals all hope you'll enjoy your stay. nice series 804, may be you can tell us some stuff while
your doing your own research as well.

billf
04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

JTesta1966
04-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Nah, no states this year :-(

JTesta1966
04-06-2013, 05:38 AM
BigErn: I suggest if you are unsure of how you'd do in a PBA condition, is join a PBA experience league, or find a center who puts out a PBA shot. Typical house conditions are SIMPLE compared to a pro shot. House shots are designed that if you miss wide, they come back, if you miss tight, they hold. Not sport or PBA shots. You miss, you miss, its a matter of how you miss that will dictate how bad it'll be. Expect to drop 10 pins minimum in average. I did a couple regional tourneys, did a PBA league, my house put out a different shot (back then it was A-E, not chameleon, scorpoin etc) each week to practice on. Key for me was learning to leave makeable spares. For me, depending which pattern, you could play the oil line ala Walter ray, or if you have the revs, play in/out. I dont have those kind of revs. Key for me was if I couldnt find a comfortable line to the pocket, was making sure I left makable spares. PBA membership is cheap, but entry to tourneys arent (to me anyway), so if you dont expect to make top 25, I suggest working on your game until you can, or it will be an expensive lesson. Most of all, dont get discouraged. Keep practicing. It comes. By the time I have the time and money to compete again, I'll be joining the senior tour lol.

Bonebrake
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the boards

Greenday
04-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Mwahahaha, we are slowly taking over.

got_a_300
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the boards you will find a lot of very knowledgeable
and very helpful people on here that are more than willing to give
bowling advice and tips.