PDA

View Full Version : Mark Roth loses balance on some of his releases in video from 1979........

Hammer
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Is Mark an example of not having good technique on his delivery but still being one of the top bowlers of his time? If you watch this video you will see Mark throw his ball with some muscle behind it and then come back to stand on his balance leg after his shot like he loses his balance sometimes. It only goes to show you that you can be off on your technique and still have a good score. So you don't have to be perfect in form all of the time to be good. I have had times where I
went to make my slide and my slide foot stopped on a dime and I still got a strike. So if your fundamentals in your technique are not spot on you still can be a good player. Perfection is not the goal but consistency in your delivery is. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XNkPHO3dg

sprocket
04-08-2013, 12:22 AM
He's losing his footing on every shot on the right lane. The announcer said he couldn't find his shoes and was wearing on old pair that was slippery. Roth was great enough to overcome losing his balance and still get the ball online. I'm sure he would have preferred better footing.

sprocket
04-08-2013, 12:27 AM
*Correction* Mark is kicking the ball return with his trailing foot on every ball on the right lane. That's what is causing him to set that foot down to the right. He was great to overcome that too.

Tampabaybob
04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
If you've ever bowled in a center that has one of those types of ball returns, you can empathize with Mark over putting up with that. Shooting ten pin leaves with those stupid ball returns, I used to kick the hell out of them. Fortunately there may not be many of those left. But sprocket was right, he's just trying to maintain balance on the right lane. Having bowled against Roth before, I can tell you he was (is) a master at adjusting for adverse conditions....lane or ball returns !

Hammer
04-08-2013, 04:49 PM
We have those above ground ball returns in our house. Being a lefty when I am on the left lane shooting for the 7 pin the ball return is in my way. I can't move far enough right but going after the 10 pin is okay. It is the reverse for me on the right lane. I'm boxed in shooting for the 10 pin. What's a guy to do? :cool:

billf
04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
We have those above ground ball returns in our house. Being a lefty when I am on the left lane shooting for the 7 pin the ball return is in my way. I can't move far enough right but going after the 10 pin is okay. It is the reverse for me on the right lane. I'm boxed in shooting for the 10 pin. What's a guy to do? :cool:

Use plastic and go straighter. Our house has a wall right up against lane 1 with no walk way there at all. I have to use a different line for tens and can't play deep on that lane.

Tampabaybob
04-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah there are still a few around that were designed by non-bowler cement-head architects. Just have to learn a way around those challenges.