PDA

View Full Version : Rapidly improving? or just got lucky?

I suck at bowling
04-08-2013, 06:05 PM
This weekend I bowled in two tournaments: Under 21 doubles event, and then a Singles/Doubles Youth Championship.

I hold an average of 179, but in the last few tournaments I've done, I have been in the 184-190 range.

This weekend I shot games of 184, 178, 173, 184, 209, 179, 194, 197 (Under 21 doubles), 204, 248, 198 (Youth Singles), 204, 203, 212. (Youth Doubles).

I ended up averaging 197 over my 14 games this weekend, and I'm wondering if that is a sign of my improvement, or was just "my day".

Here are the things that I fixed/changed with my game.

*Using Half-Thumb Grip
*Fixed my balance at the line by ending in a balanced position
*Posting up after every shot
*Slowing down my one handed spares from 24-26mph to 21-23mph
*Not thinking about shot once I get up to the approach. I just pick up my ball and throw it.

Greenday
04-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Too small a sample size for real confirmation. If you can continue that over the next few weeks, then yes. I mean, it's definitely improvement, but I wouldn't consider your average that high until you can do it multiple weeks in a row.

billf
04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
The difference in the averages is about one less open frame a game. Is that improvement? Yes. Maybe not huge but better is still better.

billf
04-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Why are you trying to slow your ball speed down on your spares? Were you too erratic?

J Anderson
04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Why are you trying to slow your ball speed down on your spares? Were you too erratic?

My guess is that he realized that throwing at 25 mph isn't impressive if you don't hit anything except for the back wall;)

Tampabaybob
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
You slowed down....to 21 -23 MPH ???? WOW, what are you a weight lifter ? It's nice to be young and strong, but that's fast. It sounds like you've really been working on your game and I'd say it's definitely improving. You should expect to see that 179 average creep up into the high 190's soon. Maybe even higher. Keep focusing on the points you mentioned and you'll see more positive results. GREAT IMPROVEMENT !!
Congratulations !

I suck at bowling
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Yeah, I was just flinging it and hoping I would hit the pins.

I stopped muscling it and lowered my backswing.

I suck at bowling
04-09-2013, 08:59 AM
You slowed down....to 21 -23 MPH ???? WOW, what are you a weight lifter ? It's nice to be young and strong, but that's fast. It sounds like you've really been working on your game and I'd say it's definitely improving. You should expect to see that 179 average creep up into the high 190's soon. Maybe even higher. Keep focusing on the points you mentioned and you'll see more positive results. GREAT IMPROVEMENT !!
Congratulations !

I stand at 5'8, 130 pounds. So I'm no weight lifter, lol.

I just had a really high backswing and threw it as hard as I could.

The one thing I'm still struggling to fix is the head bob at my point of release, but I still am trying really hard to stop doing that.

BigErn32
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I think ending in a balanced pose is huge. You can be WAY more consistent if you are not falling all over the place. By finishing in the same pose you can eliminate a whole bunch factors of what might have gone wrong if you have a bad throw. And good call on slowing down your spare ball. Your not impressing people with your speed.... let your scores be what is impressing to others.

billf
04-09-2013, 10:18 PM
The head bob is usually a big sign of trying to throw too hard. Throwing too hard can also lead to bad balance. YOUR ideal speed is the speed you can roll a controlled ball WHILE maintaining your balance. If that's 8 mph or 28 mph, so be it. You can throw it through the back wall if you want but only pin count matters.

Control is optimal. Speed is great but only with the control to maintain accuracy.

got_a_300
04-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Slowing down my one handed spares from 24-26mph to 21-23mph
Whoa that is almost the 10 pin spare ball speed of Osku Palermaa.

I always say fast speed on your spare ball doesn't really help all that
much as you are more apt to miss throwing it that fast.

What does help is to be consistent on picking up your single pin spares
even if you only throw the ball 8-10mph all you have to do is hit the pin
to knock it down.