PDA

View Full Version : !Q Tour Pearl Ball Review by Storm/RotoGrip Pro Shop Staffer Rob Aimers

Aimers13
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
IQ Tour Pearl Ball Review by Storm/Roto Grip Pro Shop Staffer Rob Aimers.

I drilled my first IQ Tour Pearl on November 19th. I put one of my Benchmark layouts on it. Pin above the ring finger with the CG straight below or in “Old School terminology” stacked on the ring finger. In today’s world that equates to a 5 ¼” Pin to PAP x 4 ¾” PAP to MB x 4” Pin Buffer using the Storm system. If you use Dual Angles it’s 60° x 5 ¼” x 40°.

I bowled one game with it as I always do with a new ball before using it in any competition. That is basically just to make sure it feels good and get an idea about how it rolls. The real test would be the following night in league on the 20th. I proceeded to shoot 258-269-249=776 off the press. Needless to say I already loved it. This was on our THS named Final King Pattern. It’s 42 ft with a total of 19.8 ml.

I participated in a local Thanksgiving Scratch tournament held Sunday the 25th. The tournament is held on a different type of pattern every year. This year it was on the 2012 USBC OC Pattern.

There were 51 entries and I qualified 3rd at +135 for 6 games. Unfortunately I wasn’t the Top qualifier as Jeff Richgels had mentioned in his 11thframe.com blog. However, there were only 3 IQ Tour Pearl’s in the building that day and 2 of them qualified 2nd + 3rd. The ball went through the front part of the lane with no problems at all but started that nice mid lane read so it wasn’t squirty. Even after all that it still had the ability to recover while watching others struggle with over/under.

I backed up my performance from the previous Tuesday with 278-268-205=751. I thought the final test would be Thursday on the Kegel White 2-Roller pattern. I shot 258-248-245=751. Then I was asked to sub in another house on Friday. I managed to go 299-242-237=779 on their THS. It starts out as the Kegel pattern Easy Street with 20 ml. In my eyes that made this ball very versatile or user friendly. Over the course of a week or so, that included 4 league sets and 1 tournament on 4 different patterns, my league average was over 254 and I qualified 3rd and finished 4th. I don’t think I ever had a ball give me that much success that quick on varying shots in 3 different buildings. All I could say is “WOW!”

I then drilled my 2nd IQ Tour Pearl on February 26th. I drilled this 1 with another of my faithful layouts. With the Storm or Pin Buffer system it’s 5 ½” Pin to PAP x 3 3/8” PAP to MB x 5” Pin Buffer. Using Dual Angles it comes out to 40° x 5 ½ x 45°. That puts the Pin up above the bridge of my fingers and the CG is kicked out at 35°. There’s a small hole on my PAP for static reasons only. This layout seems to go through the fronts a little cleaner for me. Where the first layout used starts up more in the mid lane.

I have not even been working on freeing up my arm swing and going straighter for a month yet but I can already see the difference in it. With that in mind I had to consider changing up my layouts to match up better. So I drilled a 3rd IQ Tour Pearl like I would have never imagined before. It is 4 ½” Pin to PAP x 3½” PAP to MB x 3” Pin Buffer. Dual Angles puts it at 35° x 4 ½ x 70°. This puts the Pin under my ring finger and the CG is again kicked out at about 35°. This creates a large amount of thumb and side weight if you can imagine. So I have a very big hole in a P4 position or on what would be the MB. Off the press last Thursday I shot 246-216-268=730 on the White 2-Roller pattern. Last night was my first test on our THS Final King pattern. I ended up with 203-246-245=694 surviving a couple untimely splits along the way.

I know this is quite a long review but I wanted to capture the full versatility of this awesome ball. I hope this will be helpful to all who read it. Thank you very much. Rob Aimers

Judy clemons
04-10-2013, 03:08 AM
The tour pearl is the most awesome ball on the lanes today. My hubby is proud of his.

MICHAEL
04-23-2013, 01:06 PM
I must say I am pround of my IQ tour Pearl,,,, 4 days after getting it bowled a 300,,, My first at 64!!! Made me feel 40 again!!! LOL GREAT BALL!!