PDA

View Full Version : Changing a balls reaction

ArtVandelay
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
So, I'm not really happy with the reaction I'm getting out of my Lane 1 Droid. When it was drilled, I didn't really think it would matter if I went pin up or what the case might be. It's really my fault for not knowing what I wanted. It was drilled with a very basic pin up drill and it's just not that great. It looks like it's working against me, but I'm not exactly an expert.

On the OTHER hand, I have another bowling ball that was custom drilled after the driller watched me roll and he decided i needed a pin down placement, and actually drilled some crazy layout that required a weight hole to keep it legal. I LOVE this layout! It looks like once it breaks it just creates a slingshot motion into the pocket and hits really hard.

I'd love to get the Droid plugged and re-drilled to a similar layout, because it's meant for heavier oil, and sometimes I need that. I realize it won't be the exact same as the Clapton ball (Crossroad) because of the coverstock and core, but I think having a similar pin down layout will at least make it more predictable.

I was talking to someone who said they can actually put a weight hole in a ball to give it more of a mid lane read. What are your thoughts? Would that be better? It would certainly be cheaper. But it would also make the ball lose some of its weight. But will plugging and re-drilling hurt it as well?

billf
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
One plug and re-drill isn't a big deal. As for weight/balance hole reducing weight, you won't notice the half ounce or so difference.
As for this hole and it's affect on reaction: when placed in the correct spot, HOLY SMOKES! It can increase ball dynamics by as much as 40% in the studies researched by Mo Pinel. So a ball drilled and designed for a strong mid-lane read will read it even stronger. A ball set up for a massive sharp hook will do so easier.

ArtVandelay
04-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Bill. So... What would you recommend then? Pay the money and just get it re-drilled, or go the cheap route and go with a weight hole?

Greenday
04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Well, IMO, if the ball is rolling right, do you really want to get a weight hole and exaggerate that? I'd plug it and re-drill personally, but that's just me. I'm not as experienced as some of these other guys.

got_a_300
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
One plug and re-drill isn't a big deal.
As bill said one plug and re-drill isn't all that bad as long as it
is done correctly just make sure whoever is doing the plugging
and drilling knows what they are doing.

I'd suggest that you tell them to use the slow over night drying
plugging compound and not the 45 minute to 1 hr drying kind
as it is a lot more likely to crack on you when drilling or later
on down the road it might start chipping and cracking around
where it was plugged.

If you know that you can trust the person and that they know
what they are doing that told you that they can put a weight
hole in a ball to give it more of a mid lane read then that is
the cheapest route to go and no worrying about the plugging
cracking on you.

I decided to add a P4 weight hole on my Roto Grip Defiant Edge
for a little more hook and I got around 6 to 7 boards more hook
from it afterwords so if the weight hole is placed correctly in the
right place then you can get a lot more hook from the ball.

billf
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks, Bill. So... What would you recommend then? Pay the money and just get it re-drilled, or go the cheap route and go with a weight hole?

Re-drilled WITH a balance hole at P3. I don't usually suggest P4 to ensure the track doesn't go over the thumbhole. Safe way to be when you haven't seen the bowler or their track.

ArtVandelay
04-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, IMO, if the ball is rolling right, do you really want to get a weight hole and exaggerate that? I'd plug it and re-drill personally, but that's just me. I'm not as experienced as some of these other guys.

The pro I spoke to said a properly placed hole can make the ball react like the other ball even though they're drilled completely different.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I figured getting it redrilled was the way to go, but the thought of getting out cheaper with a weight hole intrigued me. I thought I'd ask. But sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet and pay the money to get it done properly.

CeKnauss
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Also, don't forget you can change the surface. The Droid comes out of box at 2000 Abralon. If you wanted to make it longer, snappier, but slightly weaker, try 4000, polish, or both. If you need more arc over the whole lane, I recommend 500 initially to get the ball rolling earlier.

Keep in mind, a weight hole is a big commitment. Once it is there, it is more difficult to revert. Surface changes can mostly be reverted.

Jaescrub
04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Hello I had a question as to why the ps put pin placement where they did on my wife's ball it's her first ball Hammer arson pearl 12# she puts no hook on the ball he did not even see her throw anything was this right for her? Pin under and and a hair to the right of ring finger. Can't post pics from phones I take it?

TCJ
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello I had a question as to why the ps put pin placement where they did on my wife's ball it's her first ball Hammer arson pearl 12# she puts no hook on the ball he did not even see her throw anything was this right for her? Pin under and and a hair to the right of ring finger. Can't post pics from phones I take it?

It sounds like he drilled it to have an earlier, smooth roll. I think for beginner bowlers, it's a good pattern because it's easier to control and much more predictable.

Jaescrub
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Ok I'm new to this I just know he did my brutal nightmare and misfit pin up and over to the right of ring finger and the BN has a hole in the side ha ha. If we can get her a did ball what would be a good pin placement so she can see some hook?

TCJ
04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Your drilling usually allows for more skid and then a flip at the end, especially with the axis hole.

I'm not sure what you mean about a DID ball. But for getting more hook, it also depends on the type of bowling ball, the way it is thrown, and the oil conditions. Personally, I think if someone throws a ball with low revs, having the pin down is preferable because it will get the ball into a curve sooner (and thus, more hook).

Jaescrub
04-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry iPhone I mean I "dif" different but thanks for the info your helping more then you know.