PDA

View Full Version : As an Intermediate -- to watch break point or not?

GoKidd
04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I have gotten conflicting advice (NO. Shocked face.) and am looking for some unified perspective.
As an Intermediate level bowler (170 AVG), I was taught to keep a close eye on the arrows and then where the ball hits in relation to the pocket ... should I also try to see my break point?
Additionally, my lanes don't have the marker boards that help you see the break point.

I've also been :confused: told NOT to let my attention slip into watching the ball go up the lane. So you can understand my confusion.
What does current instruction recommend? I seem to be hearing advice from both the new generation and the old school.
Many thanks for your help.

J Anderson
04-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I assume your old school advice is keep your eyes on the target until the ball hits the pins. The truth is that nothing you do after the ball leaves your hand has any affect on the shot. I'm convinced that all the things that we're supposed to do after release like a good follow through or posting the shot are really signs that we've done things right up to the release.

You do need to watch the target until your ball rolls over it. After you've noted where the ball was in relation to the target let your eyes follow the ball through the pins. As an intermediate bowler, knowing your break point was the 6th board at 45' doesn't really tell you anything useful. Knowing that the ball hit hit too light or too high, combined with knowing if you were on target gives you enough information to know if and how much you need to adjust.

billf
04-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Watch the ball. Even though you may not know what you're looking for/at now, as you learn that you won't need to re-learn where to look.

Did you hit the correct board at the arrows? Yes but missed the breakpoint to the left at 45'. Now you know the ball is too strong and started too early. Through the pins. Did the ball deflect too and leave the 8 pin? Ringing ten or flat ten? Every shot can tell you something and some times it can just cause too much thinking.

GoKidd
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Every shot can tell you something and some times it can just cause too much thinking.

HA! Fantastic. Alrighty, I thank you, gents.
The advice to keep my eyes on the arrows emphasized KNOWING whether I hit my mark.
And it makes sense to me that knowing whether we hit high or low on the pocket tells me enough (at this point in my learning) to adjust my shot.
I did try to watch where the ball exits the deck and ... that's just more info than I can use.
Thanks!

sprocket
04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
When lining up, look at the whole line to the break point. Line up to that. Then make a mental image. Then look at whatever target works for you. I spot about 25 ft down the lane, but that's just me. The reason to make a mental image of the ball path to the break point is so you will stay on line to it during your entire approach. It makes absolutely no difference if you can split a board at the arrows if you drift off line. Missing a board left or right but getting the ball on the correct line is better than being able to hit the exact board but crossing it on a different path from shot to shot. For example I can hit the second arrow to pick up the ten pin and I can hit the second arrow to pick up the seven pin. So is the fact that I'm hitting the second arrow important or is the ball path important?

BigErn32
04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
This past month I've been pay a lot more attention to my breakpoint (considering before this past month was really NEVER). I feel since ive been paying attention to the BP it really does help me line up better. Before I would just aim for my spot on the arrows but if i was missing I wasn't sure if I should move my feet or my mark. But since paying attention to the BP I can understand my line as a whole better and get in a better position. Still rocking about at 205 average... but I need to get that up. Seasons almost over but goal will be at least 5 700's next year.

Tampabaybob
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Watching your ball track down the lane, AFTER, watching it roll over your spot/arrow, will give you a lot of information. That ball will tell you if you're releasing correctly, where the ball starts to hook, and where it begins to roll up to the pocket. Watching it until it falls off of the deck will also tell you how the ball was rolling (or not rolling) when it hit the pocket. So the answer is, watch your shot and learn from the way it reacts down the lane. It'll help you make adjustments easier at the approach, and eventually lead to higher scores. Good luck, let us know how you're doing.