PDA

View Full Version : Defining moments.

aussiedave
04-11-2013, 09:14 PM
This applies more to the better bowlers who regularly bowl 700 series or to those who have jumped off a plateau to new heights, but I am looking for those "A-ha!" or defining moments in your bowling career that you would attribute your success or good form to.
Thought this might make an interesting thread.
ad.

BigErn32
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
So far for me.... buying a decent ball. As crazy as that sounds I would throw a blue hammer and had a 192 average. When I got a gift from an uncle to get a new ball.... changed big time. The guy in the pro shop was showing me how my blue was doing NOTHING. Zero flair. I can now see the drive with my DV8 Misfit and I understand the difference between a good ball and a not so good ball. Average is up to 205 and I feel great potential for it to go up more.

Also keeping the knee bent and staying balanced has been a great focus.

Washout
04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
I got back into bowling this year after a 15+ year hiatus, and I was averaging around 140, which I was not happy with. I noticed I was getting a ton of Brooklyns and I just lined myself up 3/4 of a foot closer to the line and BAM! Consistently hitting the pocket now, and ever since I have been averaging 180s, now I have picked up a new ball that suits my game more and now that I have found the spot with it I'm around 190s.

aussiedave
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
So far for me.... buying a decent ball. As crazy as that sounds I would throw a blue hammer and had a 192 average. When I got a gift from an uncle to get a new ball.... changed big time. The guy in the pro shop was showing me how my blue was doing NOTHING. Zero flair. I can now see the drive with my DV8 Misfit and I understand the difference between a good ball and a not so good ball. Average is up to 205 and I feel great potential for it to go up more.

Also keeping the knee bent and staying balanced has been a great focus.
Thanks for the reply Ern. Today's modern balls definitely can be a game changer and not just with the coverstocks but also with the cores. This does not mean that yesterdays classics cannot still yield great scores. For example, I own a blue hammer, (the newer one) and also an Ebonite cyclone. The Cyclone definitely has more hook potential although if I put some work on it and slow it down, I can still get some great arc on the delivery. The cyclone definitely delivers better pin reaction though which is why I prefer to use it.
I have finally figured out how to bowl a reactive resin ball over the last few weeks and my scores have improved dramatically. Form is also important as you also mention.
I think the knee bend allows you to get low and get a bit more work on the ball late which gives a little more pace.
ad.

aussiedave
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I got back into bowling this year after a 15+ year hiatus, and I was averaging around 140, which I was not happy with. I noticed I was getting a ton of Brooklyns and I just lined myself up 3/4 of a foot closer to the line and BAM! Consistently hitting the pocket now, and ever since I have been averaging 180s, now I have picked up a new ball that suits my game more and now that I have found the spot with it I'm around 190s.
Congrats on the new found form - it brings the enjoyment of the game up to a new level as well!
Personally, I feel I have a better ability to figure out the game now than my younger day.
ad.

aussiedave
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Was hoping to see a few more good bowlers chime in here and share their experience - perhaps trade secrets are carefully guarded? ;)
ad.