PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo has got to be the best auto race video game.....

Hammer
04-13-2013, 12:58 PM
All of the car choices from stock cars to full blown race cars are awsome. You can set up your cars how you like. On the stock cars you can add equipment to make the suspension better or add better trans and motor equipment. The only thing that should have been better is the book of the directions to set up stuff like suspension and the traction control system and the oversteer and understeer control systems. Let's face it unless you work with this stuff on real cars you won't know how to adjust it for good performance. I know that I had to guess on some of this stuff until I got it right.

As far as setting up the rev limiter on your race cars so you take advantage of the cars best performance on a certain race track you have to do this. First you pick a race track and then find the longest part of the track where you will build your fastest spped before letting up on the gas for a turn or sharp curve. You build up your speed on the track before you hit this spot and then you floor it. You go as fast as you can and watch you rev limiter. If your rev limiter kicks in before you get to the end of the straight then you have to adjust it a little to kick in later. What you want is for it to kick in just about at the point where you are going to take your foot off the gas to slow down for a turn or sharp curve.

This is how you adjust you cars rev limiter for every track you use. Find the part of the track where you will be flooring it for the longest time and then adjust it to kick in right before you lift your foot off the gas to slow down. If it kicks in before you reach the end of the longest stretch you will lose speed to the games cars you are racing. If it is set too high then hang onto your hat because you will have to do some pretty good brake work to slow down before a curve or turn and will end up crashing or going off the track.

Another thing I don't do on the game is to set up the game for tire wear or a penalty if you accidently bump into one of the cars you are racing. I use the tire wear that the game automatically uses in any of the races. That penalty for bumping into a car is bogus. The game cars can bump into you or attack you and that is okay but not the other way around.

Gran Turismo has the most realistic cars of any of the car video games in my opinion. Gran Turismo #3 was good but when #4 came out that was really something. I play the living daylights out of this game and have gotten good at it. You have to get use to late braking and sometimes power sliding into a curve to win a race. The game cars will fight you the whole time and sometimes give you a good bump from the back if you slow down too much for a turn off a high speed straight. Anyone else like this video game? :cool:

billf
04-13-2013, 05:04 PM
While I agree with loving Gran Turismo 4, I haven't played that in like, 8 years. Have you tried any of the newer racing games, like something made since the decade changed?

Hey, wait, what are you doing playing video games at your age? I just remembered you're 66 when I went to hit the post reply button.

Hammer
04-13-2013, 05:24 PM
While I agree with loving Gran Turismo 4, I haven't played that in like, 8 years. Have you tried any of the newer racing games, like something made since the decade changed?

Hey, wait, what are you doing playing video games at your age? I just remembered you're 66 when I went to hit the post reply button.

I am not your average old guy. I still drive my motorcycle that I bought brand new in September of '96. It still looks like new. When someone asks me what year my bike is they can't beleive it. They say it looks like new. Some think that it is a Harley custom softail but it is a Suzuki Intruder 800cc shaft drive. I was at a gas station and a young guy came up to me and said that he thought that my bike was a Harley. After he got a good look at my bike he said that if I ever sell it he would like to buy it. I don't act my age and don't want to. I like hanging around with younger folks. I am going through my 4th childhood. Your only as old as you think you are. :cool:

Hick215
04-14-2013, 07:18 AM
While GT4 was a good game, you have got to give the Forza series a try. 1-4 are more GT style but you dont need a license to race in events, and Horizon is a huge open world racing game.

ArtVandelay
04-14-2013, 12:28 PM
It all depends. I haven't played racing games in quite some time, but the last time I was really into a racing game it was Need For Speed Most Wanted. GT and Forza are both very realistic simulations, but from a pure fun factor there was greatness to be had with evading the police! hahahaha.

Hick215
04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
good point Art, but for me most of my fun factor of running from the police takes place in GTA. Nothing like hiding in the woods and using a sniper to take them out.

ArtVandelay
04-14-2013, 02:25 PM
hahahaha. Call me crazy, but I draw the line at actually SHOOTING at cops in a video game. Getting away from them is fine, even destroying their cars, that's fine too... But I was never a huge fan of the GTA series. Never really liked it. Perhaps because I have a lot of cop relatives. Maybe that's why. hahahaha.