PDA

View Full Version : Humbled

Texasguppie
04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Just when I thought I might be onto something I went and rolled five games at a different house...one with synthetic lanes.
I couldn't get my Distrubed or Defiant Soul to hook on the back end nearly as aggressively as I could at my "home" spot.

Brunswick vs AMF; my new kryptonite.

GRRR...

got_a_300
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
yeah that is normal as you will find that different centers have
different hooking characteristics on the lanes no matter if they
are Brunswick or AMF houses they will all be somewhat different.

TCJ
04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the world of adjustment. For years I bowled league on old wooden lanes that many people thought to be rather inconsistent. I managed to become decent on them and get a reaction that suited me. But when I'd go bowl on synthetic lanes for a tournament, I'd struggle mightily. Now that the old house with the wooden lanes has closed down, the one with synthetic has become my home and I've learned to bowl on them. However, now when I visit other centers with wooden lanes, I struggle! You just get so used to playing one shot that it seems like forever before you're able to adjust to the next one. And that's what separates bowlers like me (decent) from the good bowlers.

BigErn32
04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I agree. I think to be able to call yourself a "good bowler" you need to be able to show consistent scores at any house. I will say it may take a game or two to find that sweet spot, but being able to adjust is key..... with that said I still love my home lanes and prefer them over anywhere else.... but to get better I know I need to be able to replicate those scores at other places.