PDA

View Full Version : Surface prep of BALL

MICHAEL
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
lets say its league night fresh oil, (house pattern), what would be the best way to take some snap out of the break point a few feet from the pocket?
1. 4000 pad, would that make it less bite at the end, but store more energy????

2. 1000 pad, use up more energy, thus less snap at the end

I have a frantic, and it has a snap at the end much like the IQ pearl, was wondering what might make it a more gradual path into the pocket. It is drilled somewhat different then the IQ, both are pin above the ring finger but wow does it snap a snap right at the end of its travel down and into the pocket. I want it to be a more gradual entry into the pocket, don't need two angles that are almost the same. Both are new balls I purchased recently.

CeKnauss
04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Anytime I want less snap and more midlane roll, I hand sand the ball with 500 grit. If it rolls too early, I touch it up with 1500 to just smooth it out a little.

I generally don't see enough oil to warrant 500 grit, but occasionally I do. Sometimes I purposely do this to burn out the ball so it doesn't snap as much if I have too much backend.

It really all comes down to trial and error. Each person will have a different preference. You can always get it back to like box finish, so feel free to experiment.

P.S. You can buy sanding pads on bowlingball.com Ball Care (http://www.bowlingball.com/shop/all/bowling-accessories/50-Ball-Care-Tools/)

MICHAEL
04-18-2013, 01:35 PM
that makes sense to me, just wondered if the 500 would be like a snow tire once it hit the dry area... some people say if you want more hook, go down,,,, in grit,,, some say go up and it saves the energy,, I guess if what I am trying to say is I want a nice even arc into the pocket with the Frantic,,,, I have the IQ pearl for the sharp snapping entry! The two new balls are too much alike at this point.

got_a_300
04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I'd have to say of you want the ball to burn off as much energy
as possible before the break point then take it down to 500 or
maybe 1000 just depends on oil conditions.

If you want something with an earlier roll and a more gradual arc
to the pocket then I'd have to suggest maybe drill a ball pin down
under the finger or even maybe a RICO layout for a smooth roll all
the way to the pocket.

75lockwood
04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Redrilling the ball seems like the best course of action, changing surface to a lower grit may work, but could also result in a lot more deflection do to the loss of energy and as such you would probably leave a lot of single pins.

I would say try sanding the ball to a lower grit, try the reaction, if it works great, if not redrill.

MICHAEL
04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I'd have to say of you want the ball to burn off as much energy
as possible before the break point then take it down to 500 or
maybe 1000 just depends on oil conditions.

If you want something with an earlier roll and a more gradual arc
to the pocket then I'd have to suggest maybe drill a ball pin down
under the finger or even maybe a RICO layout for a smooth roll all
the way to the pocket.

Grrrrrrrrrrr... brand new ball hate to have it plugged and redrilled, its a great ball the Frantic, just seems to have the same movement as the IQ pearl! Both are new, and were drilled the same day. Both were drill with the pin above the ring finger off to the right just a little. Frantic 4 1/2,,, the IQ 3"!

Greenday
04-18-2013, 03:01 PM
The IQ Pearl is a stronger ball. Similar motions, but the Pearl is better on slightly heavier oil. I want it badly.

MICHAEL
04-18-2013, 04:02 PM
my main weapons at the present time: Lucid, IQ pearl, and Frantic,,,also have a sling shot when its pretty dry! I have retired my DV8's for a while!! Might be fun to do one league with Storm, another with DV8's...... hummmm That might be interesting!

J Anderson
04-18-2013, 05:19 PM
that makes sense to me, just wondered if the 500 would be like a snow tire once it hit the dry area... some people say if you want more hook, go down,,,, in grit,,, some say go up and it saves the energy,, I guess if what I am trying to say is I want a nice even arc into the pocket with the Frantic,,,, I have the IQ pearl for the sharp snapping entry! The two new balls are too much alike at this point.

Yes it will be like a snow tire when it hits the dry. On dry pavement a racing slick has a lot more traction than a snow tire. Sanding to 500 will turn your Frantic into a "snow tire" that will start grab the lane earlier giving you a more even arc.

billf
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Mike, the two balls are for different amounts of oil. So, when the Pearl is too much as the lanes dry up some, swap to the Frantic. Being similar layouts and reactions you would be able to use roughly the same line.

CeKnauss
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Remember that about 70% of ball motion is due to the type and preparation of the coverstock. Redrilling a ball doesn't affect the motion as much.

MICHAEL
04-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Mike, the two balls are for different amounts of oil. So, when the Pearl is too much as the lanes dry up some, swap to the Frantic. Being similar layouts and reactions you would be able to use roughly the same line.

I will give it another try tomorrow.... I tried it tonight after a 233 first game in league,,,! I might be crazy, but I swear it reacts just as much as the IQ! I really don't want to make a judgment or change anything yet, I haven't had much time to really give them a good testing. I know that IQ pearl is one hell of a ball! Has to be, if it gave me that elusive 300!!! I will experiment tomorrow during our 2 hours of free practice bowling! I need to get a feel for them! Just got them last week,,,, 4 days after I purchased them 300 with the IQ!! LOL

Stormed1
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
It depends on how much you want to calm it down. I would start at 2000 abralon/sair nd go upor down from there. Most times just knocking the shine off with a worn 2k or a 4k pad is enough

MICHAEL
04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
It depends on how much you want to calm it down. I would start at 2000 abralon/sair nd go upor down from there. Most times just knocking the shine off with a worn 2k or a 4k pad is enough\

THANKS storm1,,, I have a spinner, and 180 through 4000 pads. I will use one of my 4000's and see if I can't get a little different reaction. A more controlled arc... rather then the nice snap that the IQ pearl has! ( I like that nice snap but when oil gets used up, I find myself moving left, then the angle changes going into the pocket, and the ball starts leaving 7's, 10's ect.

ance one 3 1/2, the other 4

aussiedave
04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
lets say its league night fresh oil, (house pattern), what would be the best way to take some snap out of the break point a few feet from the pocket?
1. 4000 pad, would that make it less bite at the end, but store more energy????

2. 1000 pad, use up more energy, thus less snap at the end

I have a frantic, and it has a snap at the end much like the IQ pearl, was wondering what might make it a more gradual path into the pocket. It is drilled somewhat different then the IQ, both are pin above the ring finger but wow does it snap a snap right at the end of its travel down and into the pocket. I want it to be a more gradual entry into the pocket, don't need two angles that are almost the same. Both are new balls I purchased recently.
Something very basic I picked up Michael was to simply put less axis on the ball and throw a bit harder - this will straighten that hook out enough for ya. The hand more under the ball will give you more revs so this will add a little more pace regardless. Don't worry, the ball will still hook, just a little less.
ad.

MICHAEL
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Something very basic I picked up Michael was to simply put less axis on the ball and throw a bit harder - this will straighten that hook out enough for ya. The hand more under the ball will give you more revs so this will add a little more pace regardless. Don't worry, the ball will still hook, just a little less.
ad.

Thanks for the tips!! What does it mean to put less axis on the ball,,,, I didn't know I was putting any on!! LOL.......I understand about putting more hand on the ball to get more revs, but (will add a little more pace) what does that mean?? This sounds like some good advise, and I have a lot to learn, I want another couple 300's,,, and a 800! Knowledge is power,,,, thanks ....

got_a_300
04-25-2013, 01:02 AM
What does it mean to put less axis on the ball,,,,

OK here you go MICHAEL a little info on axis rotation as less axis= less hook
it's all in your hand release on changing the axis rotation. Watch PDW and you
will see why he is so successful on the PBA tour as he can change the axis of
his ball release at any given time.

Axis Rotation Comparison Video (http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Axis_Rotation_Comparison_Video)

MICHAEL
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow that takes (TOUCH) since people are not machines like in the video, the ability to be consitant in your AXIS or rotation must take some kind of GIFT! I know I have been experimenting with different releases, and I can get much more (AXIS of ROTATION), when I get MORE HAND in the ball! GREAT THING TO practice. I think many, maybe most bowlers use the same release every time.

I know when I shoot the 10 pin I use ( O axis of rotation), and I picked up last Sunday 17 of 18 attemps. I bowl with a lady that is a pretty good bowler, (not manic, she is the best!!) and this lady has a great strike ball, and never misses the 7 pin, (right handed), but always misses the 10!!! ALWAYS!

I tried to tell her about releasing the ball with the palm UP, causing the ball revolutions to go straight, but it just didn't sink in.... she is on my seniors league, and 92 years old! You can't teach an old dog NEW TRICKS must have come from the bowling community!!

got_a_300
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Yes MICHAEL it takes quite a bit of practice to be able to change the
axis rotation on the ball at will.

That is one of my practice routines I practice being able to change my
hand position on the fly at any given moment to gain more axis or less
axis rotation on the ball.

Years ago I pretty much had it mastered almost to the point of being like
PDW but after the 12+ year layoff from bowling it is quite a bit harder to
do now days but it is coming back to me although not as good at it as I
once was.

J Anderson
04-25-2013, 11:38 AM
OK here you go MICHAEL a little info on axis rotation as less axis= less hook
it's all in your hand release on changing the axis rotation. Watch PDW and you
will see why he is so successful on the PBA tour as he can change the axis of
his ball release at any given time.

Axis Rotation Comparison Video (http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Axis_Rotation_Comparison_Video)

I remember reading an article awhile back about the range of axis rotation that pro bowlers are capable of. If I remember correctly of the half dozen or so pros that they measured, PDW was actually the least versatile with a range of about 50º to 90º. Walter Ray Williams had the largest range of axis rotation, going from 5º to 90º.

billf
04-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Correct John! Mike Fagan tied WRWjr which really surprised me.

MICHAEL
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Redrilling the ball seems like the best course of action, changing surface to a lower grit may work, but could also result in a lot more deflection do to the loss of energy and as such you would probably leave a lot of single pins.

I would say try sanding the ball to a lower grit, try the reaction, if it works great, if not redrill.

Ok,,, I will take it down to 500, but then should I put the polish on also. It is a polished ball out of the box,,, would it not be a matte finish, and might that make it hook way to much early?

MICHAEL
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
It depends on how much you want to calm it down. I would start at 2000 abralon/sair nd go upor down from there. Most times just knocking the shine off with a worn 2k or a 4k pad is enough

tried the 4k pad,,, still kicks like a Missouri mule right at the end! Its that huge jump just before impact that I want to tame!

MICHAEL
05-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Ok ,, James (the guy that drilled my IQ tour pearl PERFECT),,, needs to change the Frantic,,, that's the ball that was drill with the pin in the same spot, as the IQ.

He said try 4000,,, I did, and no help, still even with good speed on the ball snaps to steep of an angle going into the pocket.

He said that a balance hole could be the answer..... any thoughts on drilling a balance hole in my new Frantic???

billf
05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
A balance hole in the P1 location will reduce the ball dynamics. P2 usually has littel to no change while P3 and P4 increase ball dynamics.

Why not just play deeper?

MICHAEL
05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
A balance hole in the P1 location will reduce the ball dynamics. P2 usually has littel to no change while P3 and P4 increase ball dynamics.

Why not just play deeper?

That's a great idea,,, I assume by playing deeper the ball will burn off more energy and thus hook less...... Is that what you mean Bill? He did drill a small hole in the P1 area tonight, just before league, and its still pretty strong as Jason will testify.

I am getting a bunch more revolutions now, due to a huge change in my release. I would say 200 percent more rev's now. I will be practice bowling tomorrow with Jason, and might give that suggestion a try Bill... THANKS!!

J Anderson
05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
That's a great idea,,, I assume by playing deeper the ball will burn off more energy and thus hook less...... Is that what you mean Bill? He did drill a small hole in the P1 area tonight, just before league, and its still pretty strong as Jason will testify.

I am getting a bunch more revolutions now, due to a huge change in my release. I would say 200 percent more rev's now. I will be practice bowling tomorrow with Jason, and might give that suggestion a try Bill... THANKS!!

Not quite. By playing deeper the total hook will be the same but the angle to the pocket won't be as sharp.