PDA

View Full Version : Looking into maybe getting a new ball....

WolfGirl1980
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I am looking to get a new ball, I have now a Entry Performance Ball and what I want is a High Performance ball that will have alot of action that will get me more strikes basically I just want more strikes more action cause most of the time I leave a pin and like last night I left 3 splits in a row even when I hit my mark and hit the pocket except for one shot hit brooklyn but that not the point the point is I want a ball that will have a lot of action or do I just need to get a heavier ball in the same ball I got now cause this is the ball the pro shop owner fit me with and I trust his judgment and everything but I think I might be ready and everything to go up to a high performance ball either that or a heavier ball what do all of you think let me know?

-Sara

Zothen
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
How heavy is your current ball? Splits are usually the result of the ball losing energy by the time it gets to the pocket or is coming up to high or you missed your mark. If your bowling a THS and not entering any tournaments,then I recommend the Columbia 300 VOW or Motiv Venom Toxin. I also suggest 15lbs if you can get used to the weight.

Zothen

Greenday
04-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Ball just might not match up to the lane conditions you've been bowling on.

I'd recommend the Storm Frantic. Ball is very versatile. Very strong back end. It's my favorite ball.

J Anderson
04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I am looking to get a new ball, I have now a Entry Performance Ball and what I want is a High Performance ball that will have alot of action that will get me more strikes basically I just want more strikes more action cause most of the time I leave a pin and like last night I left 3 splits in a row even when I hit my mark and hit the pocket except for one shot hit brooklyn but that not the point the point is I want a ball that will have a lot of action or do I just need to get a heavier ball in the same ball I got now cause this is the ball the pro shop owner fit me with and I trust his judgment and everything but I think I might be ready and everything to go up to a high performance ball either that or a heavier ball what do all of you think let me know?

-Sara

Considering that your wrist has been hurting lately, I don't think you should get a heavier ball.

Did you hit your target on all three splits?
If they were on target did you try an adjustment with your line?
Were the splits all the same leave, like the 5-10 for example or were they all different?

I'll wait for the answer before giving any more advice

WolfGirl1980
04-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Considering that your wrist has been hurting lately, I don't think you should get a heavier ball.

Did you hit your target on all three splits?
If they were on target did you try an adjustment with your line?
Were the splits all the same leave, like the 5-10 for example or were they all different?

I'll wait for the answer before giving any more advice

they where all different splits I don't remember which pins they were I just know I threw the ball over the same arrow every time at least I think I did.

WolfGirl1980
04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
How heavy is your current ball? Splits are usually the result of the ball losing energy by the time it gets to the pocket or is coming up to high or you missed your mark. If your bowling a THS and not entering any tournaments,then I recommend the Columbia 300 VOW or Motiv Venom Toxin. I also suggest 15lbs if you can get used to the weight.

Zothen

my current ball is a 12 lb ball and I did the thumb test with my ball and its not drilled too loose I was able to hold on to it when I got the slug put in it tightened the hole when I hurt my wrist was before I got the slug put in now its drilled just right cause I can lift the ball with my thumb without dropping the ball now is what I need to do is relaxe my thumb or would a heavier ball help that like a 13 lb pound ball and I am looking to maybe getting into the Special Olympics in my state in the fall but the thing is they haven't emailed me back yet with info I am trying to train to get good enough to for the special Olympics either that or to do some tournaments but like I said before I am mentally handicap and I can't drive I have to rely on folks to drive me places and if thats not enough me and my mom was in a bad wreck not long ago my mom had a shattered wrist and shoulder and is still in therapy for it she had a shoulder replacement aand her wrist she had 8 screws and 2 plates put in her wrist and the fire department destroyed our car getting me out when I was fine just had whiplash and bad headaches from it now and if they ain't enough to go through I had to put my dog to sleep either last week or a couple of weeks ago and its the hardest thing I will ever go through besides losing my mom and mom just recently gonna start driving here soon and then I can get the lessons and everything will be jump started and I will be able to bowl on more leagues cause bowling there is nothing that I wanna do more in the whole wide world I want to make it into a career a profession. I know I got alot going against me my brian for one cause I have brain damage and mentally handicap and number 2 my weight but I plan to excersize this summer starting tomorrow and get this weight off of me. so knowing what you know now any suggestions?

J Anderson
04-25-2013, 12:11 AM
they where all different splits I don't remember which pins they were I just know I threw the ball over the same arrow every time at least I think I did.

Three different splits when all three were on target at the arrows makes it hard to recommend a different ball. Since the ball did three different things on three shots that were on target you're not being consistent enough for a new ball to really help. A high performance ball may even hurt by amplifying any changes in your delivery.

Zothen
04-25-2013, 03:22 AM
My suggestion would be to work on releasing the ball without squeezing your thumb,then work on consistantly hitting your mark. If you can afford it,I would seek out a coach to help you out. When you start to consistantly avg 140,then I would get a ball preferably 14lbs if you can support the weight.

Zothen

WolfGirl1980
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
My suggestion would be to work on releasing the ball without squeezing your thumb,then work on consistantly hitting your mark. If you can afford it,I would seek out a coach to help you out. When you start to consistantly avg 140,then I would get a ball preferably 14lbs if you can support the weight.

Zothen

would one lesson be enough or would I need several if I need more then one then I need to get the lessons from my cousin or from the bowling alley I bowl at cause there cheaper there there like 25 bucks there and my cousin is a good bowler and she is a USBC certified coach so I might ask her to coach me I dunno.

-Sara

Zothen
04-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I would suggest asking your cousin or bowling alley! Don't be surprised if you are asked to begin at the basics. When I came back to bowling after a 12yr hiatus,I had to start at basics and work my way back up to where I was when I left(198) due to bad habits and I am about 20 pins away so hopefully next yr.

Zothen

WolfGirl1980
04-25-2013, 05:59 PM
I would suggest asking your cousin or bowling alley! Don't be surprised if you are asked to begin at the basics. When I came back to bowling after a 12yr hiatus,I had to start at basics and work my way back up to where I was when I left(198) due to bad habits and I am about 20 pins away so hopefully next yr.

Zothen

Good Luck on getting back up there where you left off I hope I can do the same I will take it all in I am a coachable person my dad has tried to coach me and I have done what he has said and it has paid off but now I need a real coach to learn oil patterns and how to slide and proper form and how to be consistant. I know my average is 128 right now but probably but up this coming tuesday caused I bowled two games over my average and normally I bowl over my average anyway here rencently I been bowling 160,170, 200's, and 150, 140that range and 180.

-Sara

peterfa
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Sara, if you are throwing a 12# ball, I strongly suggest you talk to your certified coach about both lessons and ball to use. Few, if any, 12# balls have the proper weight block in them to perform as the Hi performance ball you desire. Most 12# balls use a standard core that doesn't relate to hi performance.

WolfGirl1980
05-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Sara, if you are throwing a 12# ball, I strongly suggest you talk to your certified coach about both lessons and ball to use. Few, if any, 12# balls have the proper weight block in them to perform as the Hi performance ball you desire. Most 12# balls use a standard core that doesn't relate to hi performance.

I did she said she thinks I don't need a heavier ball I didn't ask about a high performance ball but she said power comes from the legs not from muscling the ball like a baseball or throwing the ball as hard as I can throw it. She said Squeeze the ball for 5 seconds and then relax so I can tell the difference from muscling the ball and a relaxed grip.

Bunny
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Also maybe look into any local clinics. They have one on Saturdays at a center by my house. There are two pros/coaches that give each bowler a few tips. It's only $15 and I can only absorb so much information at one time. I had a pro giving a $75 private lesson to a bowler next to me last week. It was basically the same amount of instruction that I get at the clinic.

:D

UBowling
05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
In my opinion the best house shot ball I have thrown in a long time is the Storm IQ Tour Pearl. If that is the condition you are bowling on most, I don't think you could find a better ball. The weight will all depend on what you are most comfortable with. The heavier you can throw while remaining comfortable, the better.

classygranny
05-13-2013, 07:15 PM
In my opinion the best house shot ball I have thrown in a long time is the Storm IQ Tour Pearl. If that is the condition you are bowling on most, I don't think you could find a better ball. The weight will all depend on what you are most comfortable with. The heavier you can throw while remaining comfortable, the better.

If one was opposed to the Storm products - what would you consider most like the IQ Tour Pearl?

Jaescrub
05-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Are you opposed to storm or all things they make? Would you use a roto grip? I only say that cuz they are owned by storm but they don't smell like any fruit or candy.

classygranny
05-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Are you opposed to storm or all things they make? Would you use a roto grip? I only say that cuz they are owned by storm but they don't smell like any fruit or candy.

Just the Storm, due to the scent - it doesn't do well in the heat. Anything other than Storm. Like a previous post said...if you want to smell blueberries, bake muffins!

WolfGirl1980
05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
I would use anything that helped me out reason I got that ball as my icon is because that's the ball I use right now as my strike ball but I would use any ball that was recommended to me, that's made for my style of bowling. I need to ask my coach on which ball cause she said she don't think I need a heavier ball she said power comes from the legs and not bending the elbow and suit-casing the ball like I do and muscling the ball which I also do and my next lesson I learn to slide so I can stay low instead of standing up after on each shot at the wrong time and spreading my feet, and work on consistency.