PDA

View Full Version : Ball Cleaner?

WolfGirl1980
04-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I got a quest on what type of Ball Cleaner to get I am using now Power House Ball Cleaner The Professionals Choise says

. Removes Oil and dirt from the ball's surface

. for use on on all polyester, urethane, and reactive coverstocks

. Approved for use during USBC competition

but thing is everytime I use ball cleaner it seems to take the hook off my ball the ball doesn't hook as much as much or not as much as it normally does is there a cleaner I could get that won't take the hook off or would it be best to pay to have it cleaned by the pro shop or what should I use to clean this ball will still make the ball hook as much as it always did?

J Anderson
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I got a quest on what type of Ball Cleaner to get I am using now Power House Ball Cleaner The Professionals Choise says

. Removes Oil and dirt from the ball's surface

. for use on on all polyester, urethane, and reactive coverstocks

. Approved for use during USBC competition

but thing is everytime I use ball cleaner it seems to take the hook off my ball the ball doesn't hook as much as much or not as much as it normally does is there a cleaner I could get that won't take the hook off or would it be best to pay to have it cleaned by the pro shop or what should I use to clean this ball will still make the ball hook as much as it always did?

If the ball has soaked up a lot of oil a spray on ball cleaner is not going to have much effect. To get more of the oil out you can soak the ball in hot water and dish soap. The first post in the following thread will tell you how to do it:http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10288-Bowling-Ball-Cleaning-and-Maintenance

Depending on how badly soaked the ball is, cleaning at home can get it back to 85% to 95% of its original reaction. The pro shop can probably get it a little bit closer to "like new" since they can also sand the ball back to the original finish.

got_a_300
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I just mix up my own ball cleaner and it has never taken the hook
out of the ball.

I use a mixture of 50% Simple Green and 50% Isoproply Alcohol I
personally use the 70% Isoproply Alcohol as it is a lot cheaper than
the factory stuff and does just as good of a job on cleaning.

Are you sure your not using a cleaner/polish on your ball as Ebonite
has several types of Power House cleaners available which should put
the hook back in the ball and not take the hook out.

Are you using something like this here Ebonite Powerhouse Magic Shine (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Ebonite/5791/Powerhouse-Magic-Shine-5-oz.html#)?

TCJ
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
I usually use isopropyl alcohol only. I'm going to try (someday) the soaking in hot water and dish soap method to see how that works out. I used to use a natural cleaner (much like Simple Green).

MICHAEL
04-25-2013, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=got_a_300;83609]I just mix up my own ball cleaner and it has never taken the hook
out of the ball.

I use a mixture of 50% Simple Green and 50% Isoproply Alcohol I
personally use the 70% Isoproply Alcohol as it is a lot cheaper than
the factory stuff and does just as good of a job on cleaning.

I use this mixture on all my balls, and they WORK great!! All you are doing is cleaning off the surface, small amount of penetration! I use my own ball spinner, and it never ceases to amaze me how much oil/dirt/grime come off when I use the above mixture. VERY inexpensive, Get the Simple green, and Alcohol from either Sams club, or Costco!! About 10,000 percent cheaper then the ball cleaner. Works for me!

TCJ
04-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Okay, so what does the Simple Green add that the alcohol doesn't do by itself? You've piqued my curiosity.

WolfGirl1980
04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
how do I mix the simple green and alcahol in a bottle bucket or what?

-Sara

crimsoneyes
04-25-2013, 06:09 PM
My opinion is that the Simple Green is a degreasing agent. The alchohol allows it to dry up a little faster. I mix mine in a plastic water bottle and refill my smaller spray bottle that goes my bowling bag.

WolfGirl1980
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Sorry you all I was wrong my mom said it didn't take the hook the off my ball I thought it did she says its the way I am releasing the ball and throwing it I Had just started wearing a glove with a bar a medal bar so I can't cup my wrist anymore or I could take the bar out and still get support with the glove and still be able to cup my wrist a little bit I might do that. but gonna try with the bar a little longer cause got my third 200 with the bar in.

-Sara

MICHAEL
04-25-2013, 10:42 PM
MIX it 50/50!! I have been using it for over a year, and it doesn't hurt any of my balls,,,, Had a 300 after a good cleaning with the mixture,,, great hooking power and carry!! I swear by the stuff. The more expensive cleaners are great too,,, I am retired, and need to watch the money!! LOL

got_a_300
04-25-2013, 11:00 PM
how do I mix the simple green and alcahol in a bottle bucket or what?

-Sara
The way I mix it up is I have 2 Isoproply alcohol bottles that I poor
half of a new bottle of alcohol into one and then poor the Simple
Green into one of them and mix it up.

Then I poor it into a Brunswick cleaner bottle that I keep in my bowling
ball bag to use at the lanes.

I just bring the Brunswick bottle home and refill it when it gets low
and then take it back on my next trip to the lanes.

WolfGirl1980
04-26-2013, 03:20 AM

I will have to get some my dad is going to sams today I will go with him when he goes and get some simple green and some alcahol all I got is rubbing alcahol I use it for pain patches 70% rubbing Alcahol unless it would work also I have a buldging disc so I am on a pain patch its in the lumbar area in my back and it makes my legs hurt like I don't know what unless I have that patch we use the alcahol to wipe off the sticky stuff it leaves after it sticks to my back the residue it leaves after it sticks

MICHAEL
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
You have it on a spinner? I am wondering if the law's of physics come into play! Would the oil be more prone to move outward, toward the surface of the ball, when cleaner is sprayed on while its spinning?
When I use the ball cleaner, I first put the ball in the saddle of the spinner, spray cleaner on the ball and move it around on the ball, then turn the spinner on and while holding a clean, (no fabric softener cotton towel), I then spray more cleaner on while spinning and move the cotton towel up and down the ball. It never ceases to amaze me how much oil/dirt/grime come off the ball!

I do this 4 different placements in the spinner!

Does a spinner mixed with cleaning formula, and centrifugal force, cause more oil to come to the surface?

GeoLes
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I have spoken with a number of different bowlers and the general consensus is that most products are equally effective. I use simple denatured alcohol. I got a small can from the harware store and ust a couple of oz in a small bottle in by bowling bag pocket. Its cheap and USBC approved.

WolfGirl1980
04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Do I need a have to have a spinner to clean my ball or is that just an Accessory if you want to use one it helps with getting the oil off the ball cause those things are expensive if I have to I might wait till I get paid and save my 100 bucks I got back from bowling and take 100 from my paycheck and get a spinner but wouldn't it just be easier for me to have the bowling alley do it the pro shop I mean?

-Sara

TCJ
04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
You don't need a spinner. I clean my bowling ball with alcohol and a towel. I see a number of bowlers who clean their equipment each night before putting it back in their bags. They certainly don't bring a ball spinner with them!

WolfGirl1980
04-26-2013, 05:20 PM
You don't need a spinner. I clean my bowling ball with alcohol and a towel. I see a number of bowlers who clean their equipment each night before putting it back in their bags. They certainly don't bring a ball spinner with them!

Thats what I thought thanks but does the spinner help for deep cleaning or best to deep clean in the soap and water in a bucket with tape over the holes? what does a spinner do anyway?

J Anderson
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Thats what I thought thanks but does the spinner help for deep cleaning or best to deep clean in the soap and water in a bucket with tape over the holes? what does a spinner do anyway?

A spinner makes it easier to sand or polish a ball

WolfGirl1980
04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=J Anderson;83754]A spinner makes it easier to sand or polish a ball.

Won't this work just as well?

http://www.bowling.com/products/bowling-ball-cup.htm

WolfGirl1980
04-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Wait is one of the bottles of Alcahol Empty that you poor the half of the new bottle of Isopropyl rubbing alcahol the 70% kind so explain it to me in more detail how you mix it I need more details ever little bitty detail you can think of I got the 70% rubbing ALcahol and I got Simple Green now how to put it together?

-Sara

bowl1820
04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
To make the 50/50 simple green and alcohol mix.

Just take whatever empty bottle your going to put it in.

Fill it half full of simple green, then pour in the alcohol till the bottle is full.

Your done.

WolfGirl1980
04-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Fill it half full of simple green, then pour in the alcohol till the bottle is full.

Your done.

Thanks for the info bowl1820 love your pete weber icon I think I a member of his street team I think or fan club or something.

-Sara

WolfGirl1980
04-28-2013, 05:50 AM

Your done.

It says on the Bottle of Simple Green to Delute with Hot or Warm water should I do that?

bowl1820
04-28-2013, 12:34 PM
"It says on the Bottle of Simple Green to Delute with Hot or Warm water should I do that?"

No

aussiedave
04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
If the ball has soaked up a lot of oil a spray on ball cleaner is not going to have much effect. To get more of the oil out you can soak the ball in hot water and dish soap. The first post in the following thread will tell you how to do it:http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10288-Bowling-Ball-Cleaning-and-Maintenance

Depending on how badly soaked the ball is, cleaning at home can get it back to 85% to 95% of its original reaction. The pro shop can probably get it a little bit closer to "like new" since they can also sand the ball back to the original finish.
You should wipe the ball off as much as you can when you are done bowling and then give it a more thorough going over when you get home.
I use my own concoctions and they do a decent enough job from week to week.
You should get your local pro shop to give it the once over every couple months - costs about 3 bucks and will bring it back close to as new as you can get.
My own recipe for a cleaner is a bit of windex, some of Kev's Awesome orange, and some simple green - about even amounts in a spray bottle and use an absorbent cotton cloth to wipe it with and to dry it off.
That's all you need for a year or so. The only way to really tell if it is absorbing too much oil is to get it weighed when you first drill it and to check it on the same scales - any significant deviation will tell you if it is saturated.
ad.