PDA

View Full Version : League Fees Question

classygranny
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
One of my leagues has a situation where a member had to quit due to a work related injury, but she was lax in telling the team as she was waiting to see if they were going to do surgery or release her so she could continue to bowl.

Apparently the league secretary has told the team captain that the team will be responsible for paying the weeks that she has missed paying through the end of the season. This doesn't seem right to me.

As I see it USBC says they can only collect 6 weeks. Not sure when that six weeks would start and end. Also, Secretary says league rules override that, so in reading the league rules we determine..."If a member has satisfactory cause to resign from a team during the bowling season, two weeks notice must be given, in writing, to the Team Captain, League Secretary, and to the bowling center. Weekly league fees shall be paid by the resigning member for two weeks if team has not replaced the resigning member."

The Team Captain received a text message on the night of bowling indicating she would not be returning. Team Captain shared that with the Secretary that night which if I remember correctly was March 27th. Not really "in writing" to all those noted in the above rule.

Does anyone know what should really happen in this case? Suggestions I can pass along to the Team Captain?

billf
04-25-2013, 07:52 PM
The resigning bowler owes that week and the next two. As for legally being able to hold the team or even the team captain responsible the laws vary state to state. There is paperwork that can be done through the USBC that would suspend the bowler's ability to compete in sanctioned events until paid.

I had to do this to a whole team last year. Needless to say, they paid the next week.

bowl1820
04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
USBC Rules:

103b/3 What if fees are never paid and the prize fund is short? What course of action can the
league follow?
This would be a matter for referral to the board under Rule 103b. Generally, when a shortage
occurs because a team member did not pay fees, the shortage is deducted from the
individual’s share of the team prize money at the end of the season. If the shorted amount
is excessive and not covered by the individual’s prize money, the loss could be prorated and
a small amount would be taken from the prize money of each team in the league or the loss
could be taken from the team’s prize money. In either case, the league has the option to file
charges against the member under Rule 115b.

Rule 114 – Withdrawals/Resignations
114a. Procedure for Withdrawing
Members of a league may withdraw from a league during a season.
1. If a team or individual must withdraw, the following procedure is to be followed:
a. Two weeks notice must be given along with sufficient cause for resigning.
1) A team shall give notice to the league secretary.
2) A member resigning from a team shall give notice to the captain and the
league secretary.
b. The resigning member(s) must pay league fees for two weeks if the bowler is not
replaced within that period.
2. If proper notice and sufficient cause is not given, all franchise, prize and any other money for which
the team or individual may have been eligible will be forfeited, unless the league board determines
otherwise. In addition, the member(s) shall be subject to suspension of USBC membership.
Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 114a.
114a/1 Can the league adopt a rule requiring a league member’s resignation to be in writing?
No, Rule 114a does not require written resignation, so a league requirement would not be
enforced by USBC. If the captain was aware a bowler did not plan to return and the secretary
was notified, then the notification requirement would be fulfilled, even though the league rule
has not been complied with. When a resignation is challenged, the question to be answered is
whether those involved were aware the individual had actually resigned.

115b. Nonpayment of Fees and/or Improper Withdrawal
In Youth leagues that do not have a board of directors, the league supervisor/official is responsible for
the duties of the board.
When a league member is accused of failing to pay league fees and/or withdrawing without sufficient
cause, the league must try to resolve the matter. If the matter is not resolved, the following procedure
shall apply:
1. A complaint shall be submitted, in writing, to a league officer or supervisor/official. Upon receipt of
a written complaint, the league proceeds as follows:
a. Within one week after receipt, the president/supervisor should schedule a meeting of the league
board of directors, and the board shall be notified. The meeting should be held at the earliest
possible date.
b. Provides written notice and a copy of the complaint to the individual(s) charged. Such notice:
1) Should be sent by first class mail or be hand delivered.
2) Shall notify the individual of the date, time and place of the meeting, as well as his/her right
to attend and offer a defense. If the accused is a youth member, the parent or guardian also
must be invited to the meeting. (A sample letter can be found on BOWL.com.)
c. Prepares a roster listing those present and absent. A quorum of the board of directors must be
present at the meeting.
d. Maintains minutes of the meeting and all documents relating to the charges. The minutes
shall include:
1) An accounting of arrearages, including dates and amounts. The bowler may not be charged for
more than six (6) sessions.
2) Whether the accused was present or absent when the arrearage occurred.
3) The date of replacement (if applicable).
58 BOWL.com
e. Votes to determine if the accused is guilty. A two-thirds vote of the board members present and
voting shall be required. After voting:
1) If found not guilty (two-thirds vote not achieved), the charges are dismissed.
2) If found guilty, the local association or USBC Headquarters is to be furnished with a copy
of Items a-g indicated below and should be submitted within 30 days after the league
meeting. (A checklist can be found on BOWL.com.)
a) The meeting notices.
b) The meeting minutes.
c) List of board members, officers and team captains present or absent.
d) The vote count for the recommendation of the league board.
e) Amount charged to defendant(s) and all supporting documents and material. (See Rule
115b, Item 1-d.)
f) Exact date(s) each defendant is being charged for. The bowler may not be charged for
more than six sessions.
g) The league rules.
2. Upon receipt of the file, the local association manager shall verify that complete information was
provided and submit a copy of the file to USBC Headquarters.
Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 115b.
115b/1 A 14- year old boy quit my son’s team owing fees for several weeks. Now he has joined
a league in another center. Can anything be done to prevent such incidents?
As the boy is not an adult, he cannot be forced to repay the money; however, he can be
suspended for nonpayment of league fees, which violates Rule 17b-3. If the league cannot
collect the money, the procedures as outlined in Rule 115b must be followed.
115b/2 How should the league handle a member whose checks are constantly being returned
because of insufficient funds?
When a member’s check is returned because of insufficient funds, the treasurer should
contact the member and insist on cash payment for the amount of the check plus any service
charges incurred. If payment is not received, the member could be charged with nonpayment
of league fees under Rule 115b. We also suggest that no further checks be accepted and the
player notified that league fees can only be paid in cash. If checks are a problem, the league
may adopt a rule stating checks will not be accepted for payment of league fees. In instances
where a league has an arrearage rule, the member issuing the check is considered in arrears.
Games bowled by the member are subject to forfeiture if payment is not received.
115b/3 If a member leaves the league without notice and still owes fees, what should
an officer do?
When a member is accused of leaving the league without notice and owing fees, the league
should try to collect the owed fees prior to taking disciplinary action. Many bowlers are not
aware they may be suspended from USBC membership for nonpayment of league fees. If
payment is not received, a written complaint should be filed immediately with the board and
copied to the delinquent member. The provisions of Rule 115b must be followed.
115b/4 If a member leaves the league and is delinquent in their league fees, how many
sessions can they be charged for in accordance with Rule 115b?
According to Rule 115b, Item 1(d)(1), the bowler may not be charged for more than six (6)
sessions. Immediate action should be taken by the league upon discovering an individual is
not returning and still owes league fees.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 121.
121/1 Who is responsible for the league fees when a team is unable to find a bowler to
fill a vacancy?
When there is a vacancy on a team for a prolonged period, and the team has made a serious
effort to obtain a member but is not successful, it becomes a league problem and not just a
team problem. In this situation, the board should agree to absorb the shortage caused by the
vacancy. All league members should be encouraged to help recruit bowlers to fill vacancies.

classygranny
04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Thank bowl1820 I knew you would come through. These USBC rules are different than what the Team Captain showed me, so maybe she had an old year.

Could you just verify your opinion, please? The bowler texted the Team Captain on a Wednesday at about 2:30pm. When the Team Captain showed up and turned the envelope in prior to the start of bowling at 6:15pm, she informed the Secretary at that time that the bowler was going to be having surgery and would not be returning.

Does the member owe for that Wednesday, plus two weeks or that Wednesday and another week? Some of us are arguing over this and I just know you will set us straight.

Thanks!

bowl1820
04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Could you just verify your opinion, please?

I did not state a opinion, I just posted what was in the rulebook.

Does the member owe for that Wednesday, plus two weeks or that Wednesday and another week? Some of us are arguing over this and I just know you will set us straight.

Thanks!

My opinion:

The bowler that quit would owe for that night and the last two weeks (3 weeks) assuming they are current with their fees.
and by not quitting properly that bowler would not receive any prize money either.

If the league can't collect from them, then they can try to get that bowlers sanction card pulled.

Also I believe the team is not responsible for paying the missing bowler fees. Any fee's owed the league would be deducted from your prize money.

Contact the USBC rules dept. with this problem email them at

rules@bowl.com

They are pretty fast with responses.

classygranny
04-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks bowl1820...I knew that wasn't your opinion, but was looking for one. Thanks for reading between the lines and the contact info.

Thanks billf - I should have known you knew...you seem to know LOTS, and I mean that as a compliment!

Bowlingboards come through with another learning experience!

classygranny
04-27-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't want to harp on this and I'm not even sure how I seem to have gotten in the middle...but one more time, a bit of help, understanding and/or opinion - whatever you might lend so I can make this go away....lol.

Team Captain is asking me (as no repoire at this point with the Secretary) what this statement in our league rules really means...

"A member who withdraws without giving notice to the Board of Directors, with a satisfactory reason, or who dismissed from the league for sufficient cause, shall forfeit any money paid to the league."

Question I believe at hand, is what happens to the prize money for the team? And any other questions you think this arises?

Thanks

bowl1820
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Team Captain is asking me (as no repoire at this point with the Secretary) what this statement in our league rules really means...

"A member who withdraws without giving notice to the Board of Directors, with a satisfactory reason, or who dismissed from the league for sufficient cause, shall forfeit any money paid to the league."

Question I believe at hand, is what happens to the prize money for the team? And any other questions you think this arises?

Thanks

That's a badly worded version of the USBC Rule

Rule 114 – Withdrawals/Resignations
114a. Procedure for Withdrawing

2. If proper notice and sufficient cause is not given, all franchise, prize and any other money for which
the team or individual may have been eligible will be forfeited, unless the league board determines
otherwise. In addition, the member(s) shall be subject to suspension of USBC membership.
Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 114a.

That means the person who quit, doesn't get any money back no prize money etc.

The team would still get it's prize money, less any money the team owed the league.