PDA

View Full Version : DV8 not hitting?

billf
04-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Now that I have the attention of all you Deviants here is something I feel the need to share.

Most of DV8s balls have a surface grit of 500. The rough buff, high gloss polishes mated with the way the color is manufactured allow the skid. The low grit creates the great grab at the breakpoint. Look at some of the other balls made. Most have a cover from 1,000 grit up to 4,000 grit in addition to the various polishes.

As a DV8 owner, be aware and prepared. These balls WILL soak up monumental amounts of oil. My own personal experience with different brands has shown that the DV8s soak up the same amount of oil in about 66% of the time. That means they will need a deep clean or rejuvenation more often.

Sorry about the rant but it was killing me to see so many posts about DV8 balls that no longer hit on the back end.

Jaescrub
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Well you got me with that title.

TCJ
04-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Maybe that explains why I'm seeing a lot of people putting their DV8 balls away fairly soon after getting them. I know someone who had one and not too long after having it went back to an old Mission. Another person had a Nightmare but only used it for a little while before going back to some older balls as well. DV8 is still popular around here, but I'm starting to see a decline in the number of people using them regularly.

Keithalw
04-26-2013, 03:36 AM
See I am glad I saw this post cause I did not know that about the grit... I actually was always curious about the rough buff as to do you really need it? My pro shop doesnt carry it since its a brunswick product and not ebi

Gunz1911
04-26-2013, 07:51 AM
I didn't know if it was just me or if my ball actually did absorb that much oil. I started try to get in 10-15 games a week. So I started to soak my ball every other week or so. Is it bad to do that often? and after the soaking, what do you recommend to get it back into action? Right now I just let it air dry then wipe it down with 50/50 simple green and alchohol.
And what do you think about using a green pad to rough it up just a little? Had a friend tell me I could try it.

zman1974
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
I bought a Nuball rejuvenator and it works extremely well for this very reason. I cook it once a month (about 30-40 games). Hitting power is now never an issue.

scottymoney
04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
I wasn't surprised at the post, I was surprised you started it Bill. It does make sense, and I could see DV8 getting a bad reputation from it. Both by the balls not "lasting" and pro shop owners who do not understand what is actually going on.

J Anderson
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I didn't know if it was just me or if my ball actually did absorb that much oil. I started try to get in 10-15 games a week. So I started to soak my ball every other week or so. Is it bad to do that often? and after the soaking, what do you recommend to get it back into action? Right now I just let it air dry then wipe it down with 50/50 simple green and alchohol.
And what do you think about using a green pad to rough it up just a little? Had a friend tell me I could try it.

No it isn't bad to soak it that often. As long as the water isn't too hot you could do it after every set of games with out hurting the ball. No one has that kind of time, and it would be pointless to do since there wouldn't be enough oil in the ball to merit a deep cleaning, but it would do no damage.

After the soak all it needs is to dry thoroughly.

striker12
04-26-2013, 09:05 AM
yeah bill i have to go and get my HRR looked at i got the oil taking out of it and now it just dose not hook anymore and we got it down to a 500 grit because of it and it still dose not move.

e-tank
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
I wasn't surprised at the post, I was surprised you started it Bill. It does make sense, and I could see DV8 getting a bad reputation from it. Both by the balls not "lasting" and pro shop owners who do not understand what is actually going on.

came in to say this. Similar to how ive always heard hammer balls "die"

75lockwood
04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Makes sense, I had my marauder de-oiled and resurfaced once so far after about 120-130 games back in march, the ball is hitting like a truck still (when i actually manage to stay in the oil lol) but after about 30-40 games since the cleaning, even holding it in my left hand before each shot for 10-20 seconds it sweats a bit.

Logically, this would also mean that playing solo on a line a dv8 baller would need to adjust more often than a bowler with different equipment...

classygranny
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
So help me understand...if this is the case, why would you purchase this ball over another brand that essentially reacts and does the same thing?

J Anderson
04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
So help me understand...if this is the case, why would you purchase this ball over another brand that essentially reacts and does the same thing?

Because DV8's marketing is way cooler than the other companies'.;)

TCJ
04-26-2013, 10:24 PM

I've never tried DV8, but there are several things I don't like about them from what I see.

1. It seems people aren't keeping them around a long time. That's a bad thing in my book. While the fairly new DV8 gets put in the closet, I still see people using Infernos, Missions, and other old bowling balls.

2. I find a good share of them to be ugly. For instance, take one of the Misfit's (or the HR Revenge). Orange with purple is a color combination I find very distasteful.

3. I don't like their marketing.

4. They are made (and owned) by Brunswick. From what I've heard, Brunswick makes their stuff outside the U.S.A.

5. They are all the rage right now. I don't like having bowling balls that are all the rage because everyone else has them.

75lockwood
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I've never tried DV8, but there are several things I don't like about them from what I see.

1. It seems people aren't keeping them around a long time. That's a bad thing in my book. While the fairly new DV8 gets put in the closet, I still see people using Infernos, Missions, and other old bowling balls.

2. I find a good share of them to be ugly. For instance, take one of the Misfit's (or the HR Revenge). Orange with purple is a color combination I find very distasteful.

4. They are made (and owned) by Brunswick. From what I've heard, Brunswick makes their stuff outside the U.S.A.

5. They are all the rage right now. I don't like having bowling balls that are all the rage because everyone else has them.

1. with good maintenance any ball can last a long time, and vise versa

2. my marauder looks bloody awesome

3. TONIGHT WE BOWL!

4. I understand wanting to support your country, but this would not make or break a choice on a ball for me... that and no bowling balls are made in Canada

5. if you really liked say lane1 balls, and always used them, then all of a sudden everyone started using them would you switch? not giving a company a chance because everyone else likes them is a little strange lol (but i do understand not wanting to throw the exact same ball that there is already 4 of on the return.

Jaescrub
04-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Lucky I have not had that problem seen a handful but Not like the storms that are everywhere. yea my brutal nightmare is super ugly but hits hard even with my crap bowling and at the end of the day is that not what we all care about . my misfit is the toxic green and white and it's not bad looking

TCJ
04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
1. with good maintenance any ball can last a long time, and vise versa

Quite true. But I'm no good with maintenance!

2. my marauder looks bloody awesome I didn't say they were all ugly. I like the green/black ones that they have.

4. I understand wanting to support your country, but this would not make or break a choice on a ball for me... that and no bowling balls are made in Canada

If there weren't a lot of options out there, I'd consider them. However, there are a lot of other companies out there, so I'd prefer to give them the business. I will purchase Brunswick tape because I like it better than Ebonite. I'll still use Brunswick if I have it (or if someone gives me one). Currently I have three Brunswick bowling balls, two of which are my favorites. Both of those are old but still work better than my relatively new Storm Anarchy.

5. if you really liked say lane1 balls, and always used them, then all of a sudden everyone started using them would you switch? not giving a company a chance because everyone else likes them is a little strange lol (but i do understand not wanting to throw the exact same ball that there is already 4 of on the return.

Knowing me, I'd probably try something else. I also like to sample each company and still have quite a few I haven't tried. I did purchase an Anarchy (Storm) even though everyone else is buying Storm. But I purposely passed on the Nano (which my driller highly recommended) because of color and that there were three on each and every rack during league night.

TCJ
04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
My misfit is the toxic green and white and it's not bad looking

I had to go to the eye doctor after watching someone roll one of those. He said it was temporary blindness due to ugly bowling balls. He recommended that I go to the pro shop and purchase a nice solid color bowling ball like a Black Eagle. :D

classygranny
04-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I agree with the fact that lately it seems all of the bowling balls are really ugly...weird color combos, patterns, etc. Even the DIVA is ugly - and I'm a girl..lol.

When compared to "stinky" Storm balls, ugly sounds really, really good. Just wait until you smell a Storm that's been in a closed in bag with shoes, left in the car for a few hours in the heat in Phoenix and then someone pulls it out for league...hot, sweaty blueberry, or butterscotch, or citrus - smells like rotten citrus, rotten fruit....aargh! why did they think this was a good idea?

billf
04-27-2013, 08:14 AM

I let mine air dry and clean just as you do. When needed I will then resuface them before drying. I have thousands upon thousands of games on all my balls with no issues.

Scott, why are you surprised? You know how misinformation being passed around pisses me off lol

Makes sense, I had my marauder de-oiled and resurfaced once so far after about 120-130 games back in march, the ball is hitting like a truck still (when i actually manage to stay in the oil lol) but after about 30-40 games since the cleaning, even holding it in my left hand before each shot for 10-20 seconds it sweats a bit.

Logically, this would also mean that playing solo on a line a dv8 baller would need to adjust more often than a bowler with different equipment...

On natural wood the adjustments are a lot more frequent. On synthetic only slight more frequent. Old, natural wood absorbs the oil more than synthetic (for obvious reasons).

Because in reality, the others don't react and do the same thing. When a good bowler with a decent amount of speed throws a DV8, listen to how different the sound is when the ball hits the pins. It even sounds more solid. These balls are more core heavy than say Storm, whose balls are more cover heavy. Storm maskes good skid/flip balls which seem to suit low to medium rev rate players fine but not quite as well for high rev or high speed players.

Their laziness on maintenance is the cause of their wasting money. Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss.

When I ordered my spare ball I told the shop whatever they had in that weight that they had trouble getting rid of, that's the color combo I want. I use a ball to complete the task, not to look good.

It's bowling. Most of the marketing sucks or is non-existent.

Storm is the only company currently making all their stuff in the U.S.A. Due to Mr. Boomershine's infuence to make the situation right, I will not go into my issues with Storm again here.

That was one of the reasons I went to DV8 when they first released the Revenge. It's the reason I won't buy a Storm IQ Tour Pearl. Great ball but out of the 60 on my scratch league, 45 own this ball.

GoodGravy
04-27-2013, 10:35 AM
just my quick 2 cents:

Not withstanding which brand is better argument....it is farily necessary that with today's equipment, you will have to spend some extra time cleaning/de-oiling routinely. Not like the old days where you just shoved your ball into your trunk until next time.

A little dish soap, 5 gal bucket of hot water, 30 minutes and your back on track!

Gunz1911
04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
De-oiling isn't to bad, it is just another aspect of the game. I kind of treat it like going out to the range, or any sports equipment. If you want it to last, gotta clean it and get all the crap off of it. As for the color of the DV8's I actually really like them more than other bowling balls. It is probably cause there is more going on with the weird design's. I may be wrong, but the color actually helped me learn how to bowl and see my break point. On my DV8 Brutal Nightmare, I can watch it go down the lane with one color combination and once it flips, it is a different color. Really helped me under stand what my ball was doing.
I am really not a fan of just the solid colors. They are just to bland to me. The only one I really like is the DV8 Mistfit Pearl, Which is an odd color anyway. Maybe it's cause I am part of that new bowling generation but I like my ball being showy and hitting like a truck.
I put it on a different post and not sure if its just a my ball or happens to other bowling ball of different brands. But I have a nice black pattern on my BN from my Black seesaw. If anyone knows whats going on, would love some help.

billf
04-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Very few bowlers around here know what a seesaw is nevermind use one lol. Mine is blue and I have yet to see any color transfer to a ball of any brand.
There is a specific scientific process to extract all color to make black. I don't know for sure but that may be a contributing factor.

Gunz1911
04-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Are seesaws that uncommon, or Just normally go by a different name?

classygranny
04-28-2013, 01:58 PM

I think different parts of the country just refer to them differently...ie, pocket towel, a ball sling, or fabric ball carrier are some slang names that are used. We normally use sling out here in the wild, wild, west. But See Saws are the actual marketing name they go by nowadays.

billf
04-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Around here we have a bunch of 150 average bowlers who think they know everything without doing any research. Every center has these guys but we have a larger percentage. Combine that with high unemployment (18%) and very low pay scale the ones willing to learn don't have the funds to try different things.
My seesaw came with my first ball.

Gunz1911
04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
ohhh by "around here" I thought you were referring to the forums.

ghetto24
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
i have to agree with what was said earlier in regards to the sound a dv8 makes when it hits the pocket. in all honesty, i thought i was just hearing things or making it up in my head.

side note: i think the colors they are using are absolutely amazing!!! actually brings some "life" to bowling.