PDA

View Full Version : How much does plugging change a ball?

Bendial
04-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Does plugging a ball and getting it re-drilled really change the way the ball performs, or is it mostly cosmetic? Considering most companies have proprietary formulations on their surfaces, how does plugging match the surface per manufacturer, or does it not really matter since the holes aren't on the track anyway? I would imagine still that plugs would change the weight distribution on a ball as well?

J Anderson
04-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Does plugging a ball and getting it re-drilled really change the way the ball performs, or is it mostly cosmetic? Considering most companies have proprietary formulations on their surfaces, how does plugging match the surface per manufacturer, or does it not really matter since the holes aren't on the track anyway? I would imagine still that plugs would change the weight distribution on a ball as well?

As you said if the plugs don't wind up in the track area it doesn't matter that the material isn't the same as the coverstock.

There is some change to the weight distribution but generally speaking one plug and re-drill has a negligible effect on the ball reaction. Most of a balls reaction is due to the composition and texture of the coverstock. The little bit of change in weight distribution due to plugging, while probably measurable with C.A.T.S. equipment, wouldn't be visible to the average bowler.

Mike White
04-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Depending on the core type of the ball, plugged balls should be placed in a deTerminator to note where the PSA has moved to after the plugging.

When a core is drilled into, high density material is removed. When the ball is plugged, the plugging material is not high density.

GeoLes
05-01-2013, 12:58 PM
My old TI messenger has two previous pluggings. It rolls fine. Granted, I use it for practice, saving the good balls for league. I guess it depends on how anal you are about ball response.

MICHAEL
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Many times if a ball is not doing what its suppose to do, it has to do with being drilled WRONG four YOUR style of bowling. Some of the best money I have ever spent was, plugging, changing pitch's, and where the holes were located. Its well worth the money to have a ball roll the way it was meant 2!!!! Find a good driller, have him watch you bowl,, mark your PAP... and go from there!!

WolfGirl1980
05-01-2013, 04:45 PM
actually I am getting ready to take my moms ball and have it plugged and re-drilled cause I tried a a 13 out Monday at practice in the house balls and that was still too light so I tried a 14 pound and that one was perfect and got more pin action with it was still a little light but with a core and 3 endurance of 3 games 14 be perfect so gonna get my moms 14 pound ball have plugged and re-drilled and try out for 3 games see if I can handle it if I can then I am going to buy me a new ball that's a 14 pound ball.

-Sara

Mike White
05-02-2013, 01:19 AM
If you have a 14 lb ball drilled specifically for you it will feel lighter than the 14 lb house ball.
Try out the 14 lb plug and re-drill for a while to see how it feels, you may end up wanting a brand new 15 lb.

TCJ
05-02-2013, 03:00 AM
I've had two balls plugged and redrilled. The first I have a tendency to roll over the thumbhole, which I don't have with my other balls. I've a feeling it's more how it's drilled rather than the plugging. My second one rolls REALLY well after being plugged. I was never happy with the roll it had before. Then again, it's probably the drilling, not the plugging.

WolfGirl1980
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
If you have a 14 lb ball drilled specifically for you it will feel lighter than the 14 lb house ball.
Try out the 14 lb plug and re-drill for a while to see how it feels, you may end up wanting a brand new 15 lb.

OK I do that thanks Mike for the help!

billf
05-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Plugging a ball will have a dramatic affect on how it feels and reacts. That tends to happen when there is no place for your thumb and fingers.

Seriously, the plug doesn't hurt most of the time. The biggest effect will be from the drilling.

GeoLes
05-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Unless you happen to roll without finger holes - Wiseguy

Stormed1
05-14-2013, 02:46 AM
As mentioned above drilling does change thw core numbers but for the average bowler unless it has been plugged and redrilled all over the place it will not make a huge difference. As far as plug in the track if it catxhes the early flaares it will not have much effect as the ball is in it's skid phase