PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Options!!!!

WolfGirl1980
05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
For most of you know me already you know I am a mentally Handicap Bowler been bowling for 5 years seriously in leagues once a week and I practice once a week so I bowl a total of 6 games 2 days a week ( 3 each per day ) I just found out this year that I could go to the Special Olympics that, that was even possible now bowling as my chosen profession seems possible cause its all I think about its all I wanna do I can't get it out of my head its the only thing that makes me happy besides the beach when I am in Florida cause if had my choice I would live there in fact, the fact I didn't get to go there on vacation this past year has put me in a depression but Bowling has made me a little bit happy if I can't be happy at the beach I mean then bowling helped a little bit. The perfect life for me would be bowling in Florida but life isn't perfect, or fair, At least I have a Palm Tree in my house, its a small one I bought at Walgreen's. Anyway back on topic I want to know is how far could someone like me mentally handicap ADHD and Manic Depressive and Borderline everything else in the mental health book take bowling as a profession?

Sara

billf
05-05-2013, 09:28 AM
As far as your ability will allow you, the same as any other person.
Your mental disability is nothing more than a different challenge than what most of us have when it comes to bowling. I understand how in other aspects of our daily lives that is not always the case.
Do your best, focus and practice like crazy. Even if you don't turn pro, you can still be an inspiration to other people with mental disabilities that have/were told their whole lives that they couldn't accomplish things.

One of my granddaughters has Down's Syndrome and participated in bowling in the local Special Olympics. She earned a Silver medal in her division. Her smile made it worth it again this year. She loves it.

classygranny
05-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Sara

i agree with Bill. From what I can tell from the short time I've been on the BowlingBoards, you are a very intelligent woman. You are ambitious, anxious to learn, have a great aptitude for reading and searching out answers. You appear to have more on your side than you are willing to accept.

A good POSITIVE attitude will take you far in this life. Try and focus on the good and positive things in your life. Bowling, music, some of the other things you've mentioned you have a passion for. Deal with the negative as you need to, but don't let it consume your life - make those dealings short and quick, and then get on with the positive.

We all have those negative issues to deal with in life, some are bigger than others, some are temporary, and sometimes they go away and other issues come and take their place. So as Bill said, you can go as far as your ability will allow. Think more positive in everything you do and things will start to turn around in your life - if that's what you want them to do. Every day you get up, take a piece of paper and write down 10 things that are positive in your life, and every night write down 10 things that you want in your life (hopefully these are positive as well). You will see how these two lists will start to merge together and life will be more positive for you.

Oh, And keep practicing!

WolfGirl1980
05-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Cool Thanks just that negative thinking keeps coming back I been told my whole life I couldn't do things or that I was dumb or stupid or mentally retarded by people who were suppose to be my friends I lived through it all through school and the weight problem didn't help either and I blamed that for the reason why the kids made fun of me now I got no teeth and that's another issue cause all the surgery's I had to lose the weight but I did lose the weight but had complications and now got another problem I can't keep any food down me I have seen doctors loads of doctors none of them know why I throw up everything I eat or why the food doesn't digest normally and the stomach acid rotted my teeth out so now I got dentures and they don't fit right not for lack of trying its cause of my gums they have no suction in the roof of my mouth and in the bottoms so my teeth they don't stay in and there no indentation my gums are flat so I have to use sea bond and that don't even help I can eat with them even if I use sea bond so I have to have implants and that cost money, money I don't have. Anyway I hope to do the local Special Olympics also. I am going to start a website on facebook to get the main Special Olympics aired on TV cause they work just as hard as the other athletes and probably harder I know in my case I have to work probably twice as hard cause my head gets in the way and my disability but I have to do despite it and work around it or through it I guess I would work through it and just do the best that I can do, train hard and do the best that I can do.

billf
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I was born blind in my left eye. From the time I was 3 until 11 I had to wear a patch on my right eye that they said it would fix my left eye. It didn't work...so I wore glasses for a few years and that didn't help either.
Then on November 3, 2010 while at work I had an accident. A piece of metal went in my right eye tearing my retina in two places, cornea in three places, wrecked the lens and six holes in the eyeball itself. The jell was coming out of my eye so I was rushed to Ohio State University Medical Center for emergency surgery. I was told from the start that I wouldn't see again. My only question to the doctor while in recovery was, "when can I bowl". The doctor laughed saying about a month but it would be hard not seeing. I told him that with my average sight didn't matter.
After the required month of bedrest for the retina re-attachment to take hold I was in the bowling alley. My wife would drop me off and being so slow during the day, one of the employees would help me if I didn't have any friends with me. It took me awhile but I knew I had to learn how to become a cranker. Why? Because they use an area rather than an actual target. Seeing as I couldn't see the lanes I figured that was my best chance at being able to compete.
My first night back bowling league (I attended but didn't bowl while on bedrest) I shot a 96, 111 and 107. I kept at it though bowling at least 40 games a day. It was the only exercise the doctor authorized. I finished the second half of that season and the first half of the following season with a 195 average. My doubles partner and teammate on two leagues, Derrick, would walk me to the approach, hand me my ball and tell me where to stand. It wasn't but a month or two before I could tell if I left a pin and usually knew which pin just by the sound and feel of the release. I bowled only one league that summer. The PBA league was out of the question giving the accuracy needed.
I had five different eye procedures after the initial surgery and on January 9, 2012, with the assitance of glasses, my vision was acceptable enough to return to work, driving, etc. I still have trouble seeing as I will always have floaters in that eye and blind spots where the retina was attached. The glasses I normally wear help with distance. I also have different glasses for reading. The doctors also prescribed me trifocals but they make me nauseous. Unfortunately my average dropped when my sight returned. It was kind of funny but everything at the alley distracted me and I would pull my head. It's taken the rest of the time to get back to where I am now, including learning to slide again, stop cranking and play way outside when need be.

The whole point is; people kept telling me I wouldn't be able to do it. My average would be too low to compete. My wife only let me bowl because she knew I needed something to do. You can't let negative people who don't have the drive or ambition convince you of what you can or can't do.
I've been fighting that my whole life. I always wanted to be G.I. Joe. Being half blind I was told it would never happen. I signed a waiver, joined the Army and when they occasion came, altered my personnel fole so my eye wouldn't hold me back. A boy who wasn't suppose to be allowed in the service, became a Green Beret earning several medals including two Sodlier's medals, three Purple Hearts and three Bronze Stars. Not too bad for somebody who can't do this and can't do that. I've never, ever listened to what people told me I couldn't do. I'm scared to death of heights (control issues) yet I completed Airborne training and made 148 jumps. After the first six I learned to love it.

WolfGirl1980
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I was born blind in my left eye. From the time I was 3 until 11 I had to wear a patch on my right eye that they said it would fix my left eye. It didn't work...so I wore glasses for a few years and that didn't help either.
Then on November 3, 2010 while at work I had an accident. A piece of metal went in my right eye tearing my retina in two places, cornea in three places, wrecked the lens and six holes in the eyeball itself. The jell was coming out of my eye so I was rushed to Ohio State University Medical Center for emergency surgery. I was told from the start that I wouldn't see again. My only question to the doctor while in recovery was, "when can I bowl". The doctor laughed saying about a month but it would be hard not seeing. I told him that with my average sight didn't matter.
After the required month of bedrest for the retina re-attachment to take hold I was in the bowling alley. My wife would drop me off and being so slow during the day, one of the employees would help me if I didn't have any friends with me. It took me awhile but I knew I had to learn how to become a cranker. Why? Because they use an area rather than an actual target. Seeing as I couldn't see the lanes I figured that was my best chance at being able to compete.
My first night back bowling league (I attended but didn't bowl while on bedrest) I shot a 96, 111 and 107. I kept at it though bowling at least 40 games a day. It was the only exercise the doctor authorized. I finished the second half of that season and the first half of the following season with a 195 average. My doubles partner and teammate on two leagues, Derrick, would walk me to the approach, hand me my ball and tell me where to stand. It wasn't but a month or two before I could tell if I left a pin and usually knew which pin just by the sound and feel of the release. I bowled only one league that summer. The PBA league was out of the question giving the accuracy needed.
I had five different eye procedures after the initial surgery and on January 9, 2012, with the assitance of glasses, my vision was acceptable enough to return to work, driving, etc. I still have trouble seeing as I will always have floaters in that eye and blind spots where the retina was attached. The glasses I normally wear help with distance. I also have different glasses for reading. The doctors also prescribed me trifocals but they make me nauseous. Unfortunately my average dropped when my sight returned. It was kind of funny but everything at the alley distracted me and I would pull my head. It's taken the rest of the time to get back to where I am now, including learning to slide again, stop cranking and play way outside when need be.

The whole point is; people kept telling me I wouldn't be able to do it. My average would be too low to compete. My wife only let me bowl because she knew I needed something to do. You can't let negative people who don't have the drive or ambition convince you of what you can or can't do.
I've been fighting that my whole life. I always wanted to be G.I. Joe. Being half blind I was told it would never happen. I signed a waiver, joined the Army and when they occasion came, altered my personnel fole so my eye wouldn't hold me back. A boy who wasn't suppose to be allowed in the service, became a Green Beret earning several medals including two Sodlier's medals, three Purple Hearts and three Bronze Stars. Not too bad for somebody who can't do this and can't do that. I've never, ever listened to what people told me I couldn't do. I'm scared to death of heights (control issues) yet I completed Airborne training and made 148 jumps. After the first six I learned to love it.

Thanks Bill That Truly inspires me in my quest to take my bowling career as far as I can take it. The Sky's the limit!

-Sara

Jaescrub
05-06-2013, 12:54 AM
All I can say is Wow! we are lucky to have such strong people on this Board ;) other then being a jerk and a slow learner due to being a jerk I have it easy bowling. I'm happy I took the time to read the post on here changed my out look on the game I think next league night ill stay focused and positive. Anything is possible work as hard as you can and keep your head up.

DLP
05-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Don't let negativity of other people get in your way. YOU are capable of doing anything you set your mind to. I recently met a gentleman at my local alley that really changed my outlook on the game and on life in general.

He is known as the "Rolling Sportsman" here in DE. He is a bowler, a trapshooter, and an archer. All from a wheel chair. He wasn't always in one, but has excelled at being an amazing sportsman who competes. Competes in the things he loves every year at the Disabled Veteran's Games.

And that is what matters.... if you are having fun at what you do, and you are enjoying it, and loving it, and the competition is something you enjoy, there is nothing anyone can say or do that should alter that passion and desire!!!

Ad Astra, Sara

(To the stars)

:)

WolfGirl1980
05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Don't let negativity of other people get in your way. YOU are capable of doing anything you set your mind to. I recently met a gentleman at my local alley that really changed my outlook on the game and on life in general.

He is known as the "Rolling Sportsman" here in DE. He is a bowler, a trapshooter, and an archer. All from a wheel chair. He wasn't always in one, but has excelled at being an amazing sportsman who competes. Competes in the things he loves every year at the Disabled Veteran's Games.

And that is what matters.... if you are having fun at what you do, and you are enjoying it, and loving it, and the competition is something you enjoy, there is nothing anyone can say or do that should alter that passion and desire!!!

Ad Astra, Sara

(To the stars)

:)

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback and everyone else s as well so thanks everyone for your feedback I am really gonna take it to heart.

-Sara