PDA

View Full Version : Bowling tape?

GoodGorilla
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
On walter ray's become a better bowler dvd, he says that having tape in your thumbhole is essential. Does that mean I really need to open up my thumbhole and add tape until a perfect thumb fit? I am seriously believing that is the case.

billf
05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
There are two thoughts on this
1. If it's drilled and matched perfect so be it
2. Temperature, specifically barometric pressure can affect thumb size. Arthritis, capillary swelling due to use among other things, cause swelling. Sweat from lights, etc., etc., etc..So going slightly bigger on the thumb and using some tape can ensure an exact fit.

I have seen a ball of Chris Barnes' and he had 6 pieces of tape in it.

JPbowl
05-05-2013, 05:36 PM
For me i get a better grip with the tape and squeeze it less.
I Had a new ball drilled and felt thumb hole was snug so i didn't put any in until recently, now i get it off my hand much cleaner with the tape

Greenday
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I usually have four-five pieces of tape in each of my balls. My thumb gets bigger, take a piece out. Thumb not swollen that day, add a piece.

noeymc
05-06-2013, 12:59 AM
the girl i bowl with has 6 in one ball up to 8 in others and none in like 2 so its really based on how its drilled

TCJ
05-06-2013, 06:19 PM
If you are going to use tape at all (and I recommend it) then you should always have at least one piece in because the tape has a different feel than the ball or a thumb slug. To maintain a consistent feel, it's better to ALWAYS have some tape in than to switch between having some and none.

billf
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I agree. Even with the ITs I still use at least one piece of tape.

WolfGirl1980
05-08-2013, 05:58 AM
I might start using a piece of tape in my thumb hole thanks everyone for the insight.

-Sara