PDA

View Full Version : Unusual track line on ball.

aussiedave
05-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Recently I have gone to a more hand under the ball release but I have noticed that the track has moved big time.
Normally when I came around the ball a bit more my track was in the usual traditional place for a fingertip stroker/tweener - running on a diagonal from about 10:30 to about 6 o'clock to the left of the finger and thumb holes.
But since my more under the ball release which is not all that much flatter than what it used to be, the track now runs from about 8 o'clock to about 4:30 just under the thumbhole.
Anyone here know what's going on?
ad.

scottymoney
05-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Since you changed your release on the ball it has changed the axis in which it rolls on.

aussiedave
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Recently I have gone to a more hand under the ball release but I have noticed that the track has moved big time.
Normally when I came around the ball a bit more my track was in the usual traditional place for a fingertip stroker/tweener - running on a diagonal from about 10:30 to about 6 o'clock to the left of the finger and thumb holes.
But since my more under the ball release which is not all that much flatter than what it used to be, the track now runs from about 8 o'clock to about 4:30 just under the thumbhole.
Anyone here know what's going on?
ad.
I ask this question as I have never seen a track in that position on any of my balls at any time.
Usually the track would move a little higher if anything?
ad.

billf
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
With the PAP being where it was with the old release, the new release has effectively altered that. Being as the PAP is technically different but the balls are not drilled differently the track line has to move. Nothing to worry about.

sukeetoshyoo88
05-10-2013, 01:28 AM
did your tilt change?

aussiedave
05-10-2013, 05:17 AM
did your tilt change?
Yes, but not all that dramatically.
Just wondering about the odd placement of the track and wondered if it was a bad thing.
ad.

Mike White
05-11-2013, 11:10 AM
It sounds like you are seeing one of the later oil rings (or dry rings) after the pap has migrated from approx 3 o clock, to almost 12 o clock.

aussiedave
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
It sounds like you are seeing one of the later oil rings (or dry rings) after the pap has migrated from approx 3 o clock, to almost 12 o clock.
Thnx Mike - I seem to be getting good pin action and turn up to the pocket so there can't be too much wrong. It's not running over the thumb hole so it should be okay. I'm getting results so will stick with it - just never seen the ring there before!
ad.

got_a_300
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I'd have to say as long as the ball is facing up to the pins
correctly and you are getting good pin carry and not hitting
the thumb hole then I wouldn't worry all that much about
the track moving there.

richardsymms
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
OK, I too have changed to be more under or behind the ball and now my ball rolls over the thumb hole a lot of the time. What am I doing wrong?

billf
05-19-2013, 10:33 PM
OK, I too have changed to be more under or behind the ball and now my ball rolls over the thumb hole a lot of the time. What am I doing wrong?

You aren't doing anything wrong. If the change of release is drastic enough the change in your PAP can be drastic enough to cause this. This can be especially true if the ball wasn't drilled to your PAP to begin with. Plug and re-drill based off your current PAP will fix it.

aussiedave
05-20-2013, 04:43 AM
You may be completely flathanding the ball - try a little bit of axis.
ad.

The German Shepherd
05-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Sounds like you have just changed to being a fairly low track player. No biggie, just a different way of throwing the ball. I tend tyo be a higher track player than that, bu like the old saying goes, "whatever works..."

Jay

aussiedave
05-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you have just changed to being a fairly low track player. No biggie, just a different way of throwing the ball. I tend tyo be a higher track player than that, bu like the old saying goes, "whatever works..."

Jay
The local pro shop owner who also happens to be a 220 average bowler watched me bowl and then inspected the ball - he convinced me it's the ball return belts making the track which didn't make sense until I realised that the weight block probably orientated the ball a certain way as it rolled down the tunnel. His explanation also made sense as the material buildup along the track was definitely not oil, but more of a rubbery substance and there was evidence of a more traditional ring formation.
Amazing what a bit of careful detective work will reveal!
ad.

Jaescrub
05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Wow after all that ha ha ha good find. Our local house back splash and ball return always leave soft rubber marks on our equipment. Most are dang near clear