PDA

View Full Version : Medium-Heavy Oil Ball

Greenday
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
My winter league ends this coming week and I'll be getting my meager winnings. Combined with my new (albeit small) paychecks, I've convinced myself to get another ball.

So far, I have:

Storm Invasion
Storm Sync
Storm Frantic
Storm Tropical Breeze (Black Cherry Hybrid)
Random Jets plastic ball

I don't really use the Invasion much anymore since I got the Sync, but it gives me a nice arcing ball compared to the Sync. I figure the next step is to get a ball between the Sync and Frantic. I was thinking the IQ Pearl would be a good ball. Everyone who has one seems to love it. Good length with a very strong backend reaction similar to the Frantic. It's OOB is 1500 so I could take it to 2000 or 4000 if it reacts too early.

Any other suggestions?

billf
05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Defiant Soul. OOB 4000 and has a great mid-lane read

Tampabaybob
05-11-2013, 10:49 PM
It depends. From what I've seen of the IQ, and talking to a few guys that have one, it appears to be a smooth continuous hook, as opposed to a skid flip reaction. If it's a skid flip reaction that you want I'd suggest a Rot grip Shatter (have one love it shot a 300 with it a couple of months ago) or the newer one that came out right after that one that's a bit more aggressive.
Wrecker
Product ID:10677
Brand:Roto Grip
Release Date:01/08/2013
Perfect Scale®:182.8
Performance:Advanced Performance(6)
RG:2.55
Differential:0.042
Flare Potential:4-5" (Med-High)
Lane Condition:Medium-Dry
Finish:Polished
Coverstock:Hybrid Reactive
Coverstock Name:52ML Hybrid Reactive
Factory Finish:1500-Grit Polished
Core Type:Symmetric
Core Name:Neutron
Quality:First Quality
Roto Grip Product Line:HP2
Color(s):Blue,White

One of the kids on my Junior league bought a Wrecker this week and shot 678 today with it shooting around the third arrow swinging the ball out to about the 8 board. The ball was devastating the pocket. Either one would be a good ball. You can't beat the price point on them also. Good luck, let us know which way you go.

Stormed1
05-14-2013, 02:28 AM
IQ Tour pearl is a good choice, Another would be the Roto Gisturbed. The Shatter and Wrecker would be closer to your Frantic. Also as Billf said above the Defiant Soul would be another good choice

GoodGravy
05-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Here would be my picks:

Reign of Power- This was my main ball at the end of this year's fall/winter league. Never let me down...great ball!
Disturbed- This is my wife's main ball and she loves it
IQ Tour Pearl- Don't own it, but want it
Defiant Soul- Don't own it, but have been told it is worth being in your bag

I also overheard a comment on one of the USBC BowlTV live streams that Strom may have some more new stuff coming out in the fall...It was just a random comment that the new Storm marketing director made..don't know if it really means anything, but it might be worth waiting a month or so to see. Or if you are like me, just buy what you want today, and if something else comes out, get that too!!!

Greenday
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I ended up with the IQ Tour Pearl. It's what staff at multiple alleys suggested to me while they watch me. It's what my coach suggested. And it's what my ball driller suggested. Threw a game with it once it was drilled up. I need a piece of tape in there, but I love it already. Gonna take some getting used to with the continuous hook it has instead of a skid/snap hook.

Jaescrub
05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Good pick a lot of people are going with that ball. It looks to work well with many playing styles and lane conditions.