PDA

View Full Version : How to slow down ball speed

Hick215
05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Need some help slowing down my ball speed. Just got my new Hammer Nail and have been practicing, but my ball speed is in the 18s to as high as 23 MPH. I have started using a 4 step approach and starting out with the ball down almost to my knees which helped out a little, however only to get it consistently into the mid 18s. I have been told that i should have the ball speed in the 15-17 MPH range, but just can figure out how. I have tried just rolling the ball so to speak instead of throwing it down the lane, but still its in the 18s. Any suggestions?

bowl1820
05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Try holding the ball higher.

Here's a post I made in another thread about this same thing.

There's a old book "Bowling: Knowledge is Key" by Fred Borden in it there's a part where he talks about "vertical placement" (Holding the ball higher or lower).

In it he talks about not holding it higher or lower to increase or decrease speed. But use it as a way of controlling arm swing timing to match the tempo of your feet movements. Raising the ball retards the arm swing in relation to the feet movement, lowering the ball advances the arm swing timing in relation to the feet movements

So Bowlers with a naturally fast tempo, hold the ball lower to match up with their footwork. Those with a slower tempo, hold the ball higher because it retards the swing.

Now if holding the ball higher retards the swing, that would mean it would be basically a longer, slower swing. And so the higher you hold it, the longer and slower the swing be.

Now if your trying to increase speed , using a longer and slower swing wouldn't help. You would wind up having to accelerate your arm through that longer, slower swing. Not only To make up for the speed you lost with the longer swing, but to get that extra speed you wanted in the first place. That would mean adding muscle to the swing, but muscling isn't something we want to do.

Now if you increase or decrease speed using foot work (as Bryan O'Keefe's article suggests). then using a lower ball height for faster and higher one for slower makes makes sense, because it's just matching up the swing timing with the foot work. Plus you can still have a free swing, with no muscles involved to increase the speed.

It just seemed to me that you could infer from Fred's idea above, that if you wanted to increase ball speed by faster footwork. You would have to hold the ball lower. And that is the basic idea put forth by Bryan O'Keefe's article. Increase ball speed by holding ball lower with faster footwork. Hold higher with slower footwork for slower ball speed. So to me it would seem to support Bryan's idea.

It's kind of a old idea, now new again.

But how do I find a default position?

The "default position" would be where you normally start off at and could be different for everyone.

Most of the time in bowling the classic starting point is with the ball at waist height, forearm parallel to the floor. You would then go from there, seeing if you need to raise or lower the ball in your stance.

Also Suggest you read this:
Sept. 2011 "Control your Roll" by Bryan O'Keefe.

http://classic.bowl.com/usbowler/USBowler_Sept_2011_PDF.pdf

heres a extra article to look at also:

A How-To for Adjusting Ball Speed:A Research-Based Method
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskimay10_ball_speed.pdf

classygranny
05-12-2013, 09:44 PM
My understanding is that most ball manufactures recommend a bowling ball should be delivered at about 20 mph measured at the foul line and about 17 mph measured at the pin deck. I wish I could get that much speed - too bad we can't just give some of yours to me.

I've been told that foot speed controls ball speed and thus am attempting to keep my footwork faster without losing balance. So for you, if you truly want to reduce ball speed, you could try slowing your feet down. I am unsure that you truly want to reduce the speed and would question why you think it is necessary.

Of course, I will defer to all of the more notable experts on this sight for thier opinions. But, as I have been told...for any change to be accomplished, you must have focus!

Good Luck.

Hick215
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
I have been unable to get the Nail to hook at all, and it almost seems like its just skidding down the alley. I was informed by the owner of the pro shop where i bought the ball that I would need to slow down the speed of the ball to give it a chance to catch the alley and actually hook.

bowl1820
05-12-2013, 09:57 PM
My understanding is that most ball manufactures recommend a bowling ball should be delivered at about 20 mph measured at the foul line and about 17 mph measured at the pin deck. .

It wasn't the ball manufactures, the USBC/ABC did a ball motion study, 17 mph at the pins is the ideal speed and 21 mph when released. With a 6 degree entry angle gave the highest strike percentage.

Hick215
05-12-2013, 09:58 PM
My understanding is that most ball manufactures recommend a bowling ball should be delivered at about 20 mph measured at the foul line and about 17 mph measured at the pin deck. .

I have read that, but from what i understand the speed, where i go, is measured at the pin deck, which would put my shot at about 21-26 at the foul line

billf
05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Well first the Nail is a dry lane ball. Do you get any axis rotation? How was the ball drilled? These are all factors that affect the reaction you see. If your speed and revs match with the appropiate axis rotation then there is nothing wrong with your speed. Many high level amateurs and most pros are over 20mph. If the accuracy and other factors are there then the speed isn't an issue.

Hick215
05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
the pin on the ball is just to the right of my right ring finger, a standard drill if memory serves me right from the pro shop. and yes i get axis rotation.

MICHAEL
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Hick215;84918]Need some help slowing down my ball speed

try a heavier ball, slow your approach, don't drink your 8hr energy drink, slow the arm swing down, (about 1/5), stay away from sugar, (before bowling), and most importantly, wear yellow clothing! Good luck, and remember, take some of what I say as fact, and the rest science fiction!

Gunz1911
05-13-2013, 09:48 AM
At the alley I go to, they do not have any way to clock your ball. I used the stop watch method a few weeks ago and was around 18-20Mph. I know I put a lot of arm behind my ball (which is bad, just hard to stop) I was going to try a 2-3 step approach instead of a 4 step this week at practice. Would this be a good way to loose some speed but apply more revs? I am currently holding my ball just above the belly button. Should I try going more towards the shoulders? I do not want bring it up so high that I can't see my mark though.

Perrin
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Hick215;84918]Need some help slowing down my ball speed

try a heavier ball, slow your approach, don't drink your 8hr energy drink, slow the arm swing down, (about 1/5), stay away from sugar, (before bowling), and most importantly, wear yellow clothing! Good luck, and remember, take some of what I say as fact, and the rest science fiction!

No, No.... it's blue clothing to stay calm :)

on the serious side probably the easiest to try first is slow your approach down. Think waltz not rock... :)

I have the opposite problem I bowl too slow and struggle with even light oil balls on anything less than medium/mediium-heavy oil.

Like Granny said I would love to take some of that from you :)

At the alley I go to, they do not have any way to clock your ball. I used the stop watch method a few weeks ago and was around 18-20Mph. I know I put a lot of arm behind my ball (which is bad, just hard to stop) I was going to try a 2-3 step approach instead of a 4 step this week at practice. Would this be a good way to loose some speed but apply more revs? I am currently holding my ball just above the belly button. Should I try going more towards the shoulders? I do not want bring it up so high that I can't see my mark though.

That is the other problem ... I know of at least 3 ways to measure ball speed.

At the pins (by using equipment built in to the lanes this is Monitor speed) - slowest point in the path of the ball pre-pin contact.
Average. stopwatch from release to first pin contact - this is variable depending on the line you play and how much oil is the the lanes (friction)
Off the hand stop watch(or video) from hand to arrows and multiply by 4. This gives you release speed - this is to me probably the best way to measure since it gives you the speed that you have more control of.

josheaton16
05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
For me, slowing my feet down never really worked to slow my ball speed down. It didn't matter if i walked fast or slow. To change my ball speed i have to either lower or raise my backswing.

Perrin
05-13-2013, 04:14 PM
For me, slowing my feet down never really worked to slow my ball speed down. It didn't matter if i walked fast or slow. To change my ball speed i have to either lower or raise my backswing.

That's actually a very valid point. Depending on how you throw the ball the advice I gave above could be completely worthless.

any chance of a video? some of the folks on the site are actually coaches and have in the past helped folks out.

billf
05-13-2013, 08:13 PM

While some people can succeed with a 3 step approach, they are the exception.
If your elbow is tucked tight to your side with the upper arm perpendicular to the floor with only the elbow bent, shoulder dropped so your nose is over the ball, is your forearm long enough for the ball to cover your mark? Arm at 90° would be around waist high, 0° on your shoulder, try the halfway point (45°) to use as your baseline.

Bendial
05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I use a 14lb ball and I have the same problem. A coach I did a lesson with told me I should switch to 15lb and it would help.

billf
05-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Here's a question. Are those with poor speed powering into the slide and accelerating the arm swing from the slide ankle until the follow through is complete? There's a reason these are called the power moves.

TCJ
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
When I want to slow down my ball speed I just throw slower. I have no idea how -- I just do it. My guess (because I don't pay attention to how) is that I just slow everything down rather than trying make a faster/slower swing work with the same footwork.

JPbowl
05-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Very interesting discussion. Since i started bowling i went with a slow approach and follow through.
Working on getting my fingers out of the ball properly.
The past couple years i have been working on increasing speed. In regards to arm positioning it seemed the opposite to me, but it could be related to my footwork .
Also when i bowl slower it seems i get less revs and the ball doesn't hook as much. I'm trying to make sense of it all to use to my advantage.

billf
05-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Very interesting discussion. Since i started bowling i went with a slow approach and follow through.
Working on getting my fingers out of the ball properly.
The past couple years i have been working on increasing speed. In regards to arm positioning it seemed the opposite to me, but it could be related to my footwork .
Also when i bowl slower it seems i get less revs and the ball doesn't hook as much. I'm trying to make sense of it all to use to my advantage.

You're right, you're slowing everything down including the speed in which the ball comes off your fingers and speed of rotation. That's why your revs go down also. It does come in handy when you need less revs.

MICHAEL
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
While some people can succeed with a 3 step approach, they are the exception.
If your elbow is tucked tight to your side with the upper arm perpendicular to the floor with only the elbow bent, shoulder dropped so your nose is over the ball, is your forearm long enough for the ball to cover your mark? Arm at 90° would be around waist high, 0° on your shoulder, try the halfway point (45°) to use as your baseline.

If you study my 3 step approach, you will find that in spite of my perfect 3 step form, NO SLIDE... (which I am a master of), I still bowl some pretty good games, and series! Did I say I bowled a 300 game 4 weeks ago?? LOL
I would not recommend the 3 step, as does Bill, to the common bowler, remember, I am Iceman.... cool,,, and unique!!

Gunz1911
05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Not sure if this was correct or not. But I was able to slow my ball down dramatically last night. I went to league early to get a few games in to warm up. What I ended up doing was, keeping everything the same, except when I went to push off I dropped my shoulder closer to the ground and didnt use my shoulder or arm to push the ball forward, Just let the natural motion take it off my hand.

What ended up happening. Ball rolled off a lot slower which produced a nice smooth arm for me. with dropping the shoulder I was able to get the ball out onto the lanes at or just past the foul line, (Normally I loft it a foot or two). I even had a few releases where all you heard was that "woosh" as it slightly touches the lane, no bangs or anything!

All in all it felt really smooth, probably cause I was tired as hell. but my first two practice games where 200 then 181. I bowled the league that night with a 181-170-199. So pretty good night when it all came together.

JPbowl
05-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Seems i have a new adjustment to work into my game. I like to play down and in as much as possible and my shot dried up at the start of second game.
I did my normal move 3 to the left, left 4 pin. strike, 4 pin .. back and forth.
Remembering the post here i tried lowering the ball and speeding up my feet, It worked very well and i started to carry again.
Also end up moving back right to where i started