PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Loading Roller Bag

classygranny
05-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I have agreed with myself to step up my game - but have agreed with hubby not to go overboard.

The compromise, with the blessing of my coach, is to build a 3 ball arsenal - 2 strike balls and a spare ball.

Here's my dilemma...

I've been looking at new roller bags. I really like the Elite Dimension 3-ball roller. I understand this will weigh about 50 lbs. While I don't feel I would have any trouble loading the bag into the back of my Traverse, I am unsure if I would be able to lift it straight up to stand up behind the seat of the Silverado pickup. Hubby has recommended a 4-ball roller as it comes apart as 2 and 2. I believe it would be just as hard to stack the second bag on top of the first one after loading into the back seat area of the pickup. That maybe my "excuse" as I am just not seeing any 4-ball rollers that I like.

Those of you with 3 and 4 ball rollers...can you give me any insight as to how I will be able to maneuver either type of bag. All opinions welcome.

JPbowl
05-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Ive got the rotogrip 4 ball roller. 3 in main 1 in front. very stable with 3 i. there but with the forth it becomes a little tipsy.. for 100bucks it was a good deal

TCJ
05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I like my setup. I have a 2-ball roller (Columbia) that's nice and sturdy. I have a 1-ball carry that I set on top of the roller, which essentially turns it into a 3-ball roller except that I can easily lift one off whenever I want. It also means that if I only feel like bringing two bowling balls with me that I can leave it behind with no problem. If I want a fourth, I just carry it in my other hand.

swingset
05-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I have a 4-ball with a 5th additional bag that goes on the handle. It's stable, but VERY heavy to lift out of the car. What I've learned is to unload 3 balls in the trunk, lift it out, then put them back in the bag. Once in the bag, it's just rolling it around which is easy. I passed this tip on to several other smaller women and folks on my league and now I've got them all doing it. No need to muscle a heavy bag.

vdubtx
05-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Ive got the Storm Streamline 4 ball roller that has 2 on bottom and a detachable 2 ball bag on top. Works great to travel with. Can easily put top of it in trunk and then put bottom next to it. Only lifting 2 balls at a time with this bag.

ArtVandelay
05-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah, you might consider a 2 ball roller, and buy something like this for the 3rd ball: http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-bags/KRStrikeforce/9574/Joey-Pro-Black.html#!prettyPhoto

I used to do that, and it works fine. I just wanted a bigger bag for more storage area, so I bought a 3 ball roller.

The add-on I had was made by hammer and had a clip so it was super easy to attach and detach. I think some of those bags slip over the handle. I'm not sure I would like that option as much, but either one might give you the flexibility you want.

billf
05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
I have the Roto-Grip 4 ball roller with the two balls on the bottom and two on the top. With the detachable feature picking it up hasn't been a problem. What has been is our small center. With the wheels set so that the bag rolls two balls wide, moving through the alley gets cumbersome. Personally, I'm saving to convert to two 3-ball rollers.

My teammate, Derrick, has the 3-ball roller and likes it. Both of our bags are Roto-Grip and very well made holding up well now being about 5 years old.

RoccoRock
05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
I've been using a 3 ball roller, combined with a single ball bag that I use the shoulder strap. Started with a Rotogrip 3 ball tote, it fell apart after two years. I upgraded to a DV8 3 ball roller and I love it. Big wheels so it rolls smooth, built very well. It's surprisingly easy to handle despite it's size and weight. It has handles everywhere you need them. Next up for me is dumping my old single ball bag and buying a DV8 single ball bag to replace it.

HughScot
05-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I like my setup. I have a 2-ball roller (Columbia) that's nice and sturdy. I have a 1-ball carry that I set on top of the roller, which essentially turns it into a 3-ball roller except that I can easily lift one off whenever I want. It also means that if I only feel like bringing two bowling balls with me that I can leave it behind with no problem. If I want a fourth, I just carry it in my other hand.

This will be the easiest method and lightest to handle. Divide it up works.

striker12
05-19-2013, 12:13 AM
i got a (storm triple tournament deluxe tote) its a 3 ball bag it has wheels on it for rolling and i got 3 15lb balls in it and my mom who can barly lift much and roll the bag around easly and it has 2 lifting handles on both ends so it makes it easier to lift the bag, the bag also comes with a pouch to put your shoes on witch attaches right to the bag and a supply pouch that you can put stuff in like tape,grip sack, brush, and on and it just like the shoe bag attaches right to the bag with Velcro.

when you go to the lanes with the bag you take it right out and it can easily slid right under the seats so its not in the way. i bought 2 of these and they only costed me $100 each here in Canada.

i got a 2 ball tote and just carrying that thing around for a minute is heavy with 2 15lb balls but with the storm triple tournament deluxe tote i can carry 3 15lb balls around for longer with the lifting handles on the ends makes it feel like there is only 1 ball in the bag.

Jaescrub
05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
What kinda Silverado do you have I drive a 99 short wide and it's a pain for me at 30 with a strong upper body " short stocky " to fight my 2 ball roller out :/ as the seat are tall and wide. If its a full back seat or even the half door the seats fold up and would be very easy to slide in a 3 ball roller and slide it out with the seats lifted.

classygranny
05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
What kinda Silverado do you have I drive a 99 short wide and it's a pain for me at 30 with a strong upper body " short stocky " to fight my 2 ball roller out :/ as the seat are tall and wide. If its a full back seat or even the half door the seats fold up and would be very easy to slide in a 3 ball roller and slide it out with the seats lifted.

My hubby's got a 2011 Silverado with the half door I guess...the back door swings back and you can access the seat or lift the seat up to get full access to the whole floorboard. I'm thinking with the 4 roller that even though you only lifting 30 lbs, you still have to put 30 lbs on top of the first one. Even though I am 5'9", I still think it would be difficult, and I believe I am hearing you agree with me. Lifting more pounds straight up and in sounds much easier to me. But then again it would be 50 lbs. Maybe I should go practice lifting the balls in...why didn't I think of that earlier...hum...old age sometimes befuddles my brain.

classygranny
05-19-2013, 06:55 PM
I've been using a 3 ball roller, combined with a single ball bag that I use the shoulder strap. Started with a Rotogrip 3 ball tote, it fell apart after two years. I upgraded to a DV8 3 ball roller and I love it. Big wheels so it rolls smooth, built very well. It's surprisingly easy to handle despite it's size and weight. It has handles everywhere you need them. Next up for me is dumping my old single ball bag and buying a DV8 single ball bag to replace it.

Thanks for the headsup on the quality...I think I'm gonna go with a 3ball roller.

classygranny
05-19-2013, 06:56 PM
I have the Roto-Grip 4 ball roller with the two balls on the bottom and two on the top. With the detachable feature picking it up hasn't been a problem. What has been is our small center. With the wheels set so that the bag rolls two balls wide, moving through the alley gets cumbersome. Personally, I'm saving to convert to two 3-ball rollers.

My teammate, Derrick, has the 3-ball roller and likes it. Both of our bags are Roto-Grip and very well made holding up well now being about 5 years old.

Thanks for the headsup on the wide set wheel issue and storing at the lanes. Looks like I am leaning more to the 3 ball roller with every comment.

edpup316
05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the headsup on the wide set wheel issue and storing at the lanes. Looks like I am leaning more to the 3 ball roller with every comment.

If I may. Assuming that you havn't bought the bag yet, I would advise you to get Elite Deluxe 3-4-5 or the Rev 2-3-4. I have been using the elite deluxe for over 2 years now and even after take it with me to all the tournys and league I bowl its still in great shape. Its a 3 ball bag with 2 additional bags you can attach or detach if you every need to take more. The Rev bag is a 2 ball roller with 2 attachments so it is very light weight and the price isnt bad at all.

classygranny
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Well I did make my decision, after taking all of the comments made here under consideration, and went with my original 3-ball roller bag from Elite. I used it for the first time this morning when I went to try out my new bowling balls. I have to say, it loaded into the Traverse quite nicely. Handles on both ends, up and roll it into the cargo area. Still not sure about the truck loading but that will take place tomorrow night. (I did try and load my husband two ball bag and then put my two ball bag on top of it, and it was NOT easy - if we were in close parking quarters would not have been able to manage.) I like the new roller bag, lots and lots of storage space, large shoe compartment (it even holds my bowling bible/notebook with notes, rules, etc), and the big wheels make it a dream to pull - even across the asphalt paving. Used the curb cutout so not sure how well it goes up and down curbs yet - time will tell. And the best part...it's purple and black! Oh, ok, I do have a few female tendencies every now and then.