PDA

View Full Version : Selection for 3 Ball Arsenal

classygranny
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
My coach has come up with his recommendation for a 3 ball arsenal.

RG Defiant Soul - Storm Lights Out - Plastic/Poly Spare Ball

They will be 14 lbs, I have decent speed, low revs - currently avg @ 175-180 / intend to increase upwards of 190-200

Any comments, suggestions, differences of opinions?

And one other thing...if I truly can't bring myself to go with a Storm product...what would be close to that?

Thanks for all the input....I love the bowling boards and the good people involved!

striker12
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
well those are good balls but if you can instead of the storm lights out you should try to get your hands on a storn hy-road its almost the same but would probly be better for you.

but other balls that are almost the same as the lights out and hy-road.

-track 706A
-track 503T
-Brunswick meanstreak brawler
-Brunswick meanstreak
-Brunswick c-system maxxed out
-DV8 diva (is more aggressive but not by much)
-DV8 marauder
-DV8 too reckless
-DV8 reckless
-ebonite exceed
-ebonite innovate
-hammer arson pearl
-hammer the chalk
-motiv primal scream
-pyramid path origin

i think i covered almost all of the balls but i probably did leave a few out but here's some almost like the storm lights out, but there is a few in here that are abit more aggressive and weaker then the lights out

Jaescrub
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Also go to Roto Grips web page and do the start search put your info in and see what that tells you let us know. Mine was off on one ball but looked right on the other two by my pro shops opinion.

Greenday
05-21-2013, 04:54 PM
That three ball group wouldn't be bad (Defiant Soul, Lights Out, Spare Ball).

Depends on the shot you normally bowl on. My house for league puts a slightly heavier house shot so I'd prefer something stronger than the Lights out. But it really just depends on your house pattern.

RoccoRock
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
There is a huge gap between the Defiant Soul and the Lights Out. With a low rev rate, I don't know how often you use the Lights Out. You would probably be better off with your second ball being something like the Disturbed, or the Wrecker. The Disturbed being the more aggressive of those two. Personally, I wouldn't want such a huge gap between my equipment. If it were me I would go Defiant Soul and Disturbed, and a plastic spare ball. Just my two cents.

striker12
05-21-2013, 11:16 PM
roccorock i thought i forgot to throw in 1 brand and that was rotogrip that was my fault. but those 2 balls are probly the only ones from rotogrip that would probly fit in with all the other bowling balls i put up.

classygranny
05-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the input. That gives me a lot to think about. I typically bowl in leagues only. The few local tournaments I would bowl in just use a THS. One league is early morning, after they clean & oil at close of business; and one evening where they do a fill prior, so most often we don't experience real extremes except maybe a dryer condition or faster transition if the fans are run on high.

classygranny
05-29-2013, 03:14 PM
By now most of you know I was the winner of the Brunswick Meanstreak Brawler.

Since I don't really comprehend all the drilling, RGs, paps, etc and I leave that to my coach and proshop guy, I would like someone's take on what this ball will do for the recommended 3 ball arsenal (which looks like it just became 4) or does this replace one of the recommendations.

Any help is greatly appreciated. My coach is on tour this week - made one of the finals and I just don't want to bother him with this. I was going to go see proshop guy tomorrow, but would like to sound "intelligent" with the info I can gather from all the bowling pinpals here.

Perrin
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
The Defiant soul is a Matte Hybrid for Heavy oil.
Meanstreak Brawler Polished Hybrid for medium oil.

seems like a good fit,....

Judy clemons
05-29-2013, 05:33 PM
In my research i discovered that the storm lights out is medium rg with flare and is brand new out now, your defiant soul is heavy rg and the meanstreak brawler is medium rg. It seems you really don't need the storms light out with the meanstreak brawler unless you just want a 4 ball arsenal. You still need to keep your plastic for spares.i believe you have a great arsenal with: Rg defiant soul, meanstreak brawler, and your plastic . Happy bowling!

billf
05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
The Storm Lights Out is just a smidge weaker than the Brunswick Meanstreet Brawler. Depending on your speed, revs, rotation and tilt they could be interchangeable. That's knowledge that only your coach would know for sure. Given your coach is on staff with Roto-Grip he may just want you to trade the ball you won, which is fine.

Also, if possible, could you wait until Mr. Haugen comes back before deciding and then won't be bothering him while he's on tour?

P.S. although he bowls for the enemy (lol), I like him so I still root for him.

classygranny
05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
As you know...I haven't much brand loyalty since no one pays me for advertising for them...LOL

I went by the ProShop today as my original order was supposed to be in. We decided to stay with the RG Defiant Soul and spare ball. (He was sooo busy, I will go back tomorrow for drilling). And we will wait until Michael is back from tour and after my lesson on the 6th - then he and ProShop Mike can get together on how to drill the Brawler for the three balls to fit my current needs. ProShop Mike says I may end up liking the combination better than the original thinking.

And even though Michael is w/RG, I don't think he would push too hard. His ProShop guy is actually an Ebonite, and the new shop is a Brunswick...so it will all even out, since I went with the Ebonite spare ball.

And by the way, he is a really super guy. Down to earth, no ego, no macho-I'm better attitude. He really wants everyone to bowl better and enjoy the sport. I think I heard that he will be working with the ASU bowling team - but I may be wrong on that. And he's doing well on this tourney!

billf
05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
I should have clarified my comment better. I didn't mean to insinuate that he would prefer you use RG just because he is on staff there. Merely because his knowledge of their products would be better due to being given better information by them and how they would fit each bowler.

Any staff member of any company, anywhere, understands, knows and agrees that the real goal is to get more people bowling, bowling better and enjoying the sport more. If we could get more league bowlers to understand that and put some effort into growing the sport, it wouldn't be a dying sport.

striker12
05-31-2013, 02:40 AM
well classygranny i own a meanstreak brawler my self and this ball is great i got a high rev rate and throw at 17-19mph and i have to stand left and i mean dropping on the 30-35 board and pushing it out to the 5 board and at my jr bowling provincials on may 11-12 i was doing this throw and the ball kept hitting the head pin on fresh oil i would of lofted the gutter but had a sore wrist.

but this ball would be more like the hy-road but you should get still get the other 3 because you can get the other 3 all drilled pin up and this ball drilled pin down so then if at sometime say you get the hy-road or lights outs and the hy-road or lights out are not hooking in perfectly going very weak most people would think just to a aggressive ball but better idea is to have another ball same performance drilled pin down and throw it because it will have a earlier roll and that weak pocket shots would become strong pocket shots.

i wish i had a video of me throwing the meanstreak brawler at provincials i would post it on here so you could see it. but best ball i think brunswick has ever made.

billf
05-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Striker, Classygranny isn't getting a Hy-Road. Read carefully Grasshopper lol

striker12
05-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Striker, Classygranny isn't getting a Hy-Road. Read carefully Grasshopper lol

bill ik i was using it at a example

GoodGravy
06-02-2013, 12:23 AM
I'd stick with what your coach told you, since he/she has actually seen how you throw and has 'boots on the ground' with you. Make sure you get a good guidance from your coach on how they should be drilled out, and you should be all set!

Plus, if any of them don't work out, you can blame your coach and maybe he/she will buy them from you :-)