PDA

View Full Version : First coaching session this Saturday

vdubtx
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
So stoked for my first coaching session ever this Saturday.

Any advice on what I should be asking the coach or just play by ear with what he sees in my game?

Will likely have a two hour session which I think should cover all aspects and give me a good base to work with.

classygranny
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
When I did my first lesson with my new coach, I took a list of specific things I wanted to go over or ask. When we started I just let him go as normal. Near the end, I went over my notes and wrote down answers and asked the remaining questions I had on my list...all of 1. For my second lesson, I have already started my new list and will probably do it the same way.

billf
05-29-2013, 09:57 PM
The llist and taking notes are the big things. It's amazing what we can forget in the moment or what we were told/taught that we forget in a few weeks.
What part of your game do you want to work on? It's your game. He should point out what he sees while also covering the areas you are interested in. The rule of thumb is no more than three things to work on at one time.

Greenday
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
The rule of thumb is no more than three things to work on at one time.

I'm good at multitasking, but I think three new things at once is too much. You'll tend to forget one thing, then you'll focus on that and forget the other two. But that's been based on lessons on a weekly basis. The main part is practicing between lessons and really working on those things. I feel like it's such a waste of time if I go to my lesson, only to go back the next week and have to work on the exact same thing.

billf
05-29-2013, 10:26 PM
That's why it's only a rule of thumb. Everyone is different. At least you're aware and smart enough to realize that for you, three would be a waste of your time and money.
I worked with a young lady who studies dance, gymnastics and cheerleading growing up. She was tired of warming the bench for Tulane university. Use to taking small instructions/steps and adding them together for a finished product, we totally changed her game in two hours. She averaged 106 before and 192 after. Went from a throw back stroker, square to the line, thow ball straight to a Power Stroker with spine tilt, 60° axis rotation and a 320 rev rate. Naturally she is a gifted athlete and is an exception to most rules.

vdubtx
05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the tips. Will be sure I have my list of questions/things I want to work on handy when I meet him.

vdubtx
06-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Had my first coaching session this past Saturday. Arrived and met my coach, we talked for a little bit and discussed why I was there and what I wanted to accomplish. The session was at a house that I had only bowled in once and I did my warm up and got myself adjusted.

Coach brought out the video camera and took multiple angles of my approaches and shots. From there we talked about how the ball was reacting, where I was targeting and what line I was playing at the break point. He had me make a few moves and target some different areas of the lane to get into more oil and see how the ball reacted.

Next we talked about my approach after viewing and analyzing the video. First thing we worked on was to get some loft on the ball at delivery. I am typically a very smooth roller and release right at the foul line. Getting the ball out on the lane 2ft or so was the goal to get the ball into a roll a bit later so could get some better reaction. This was a bit tricky as I was so used to rolling at the line and kept practicing it and hitting my target at the arrows. Felt pretty good that I could loft the ball a bit and still hit my targets.

Next we worked on my push away. I typically hold the ball at about waist height and let ball get into swing from there. Virtually no push away. He worked with me to incorporate a more pronounced push away with the ball coming out in front of me as I take my first step, let the ball get back into the arc and continue on with my steps. With this and the slight loft of the ball I was getting some higher speeds as registered by the lanes. More speed, loft and hitting my target I was hitting pocket each and every time.

Last thing we worked on was to stay behind the ball. I know for my game I do come around the ball sometimes and this I believe was one of the major items that led to my inconsistencies this past year. Not much of a tweak, just another thing to think about when I am in my approach.

All in all, I am very happy with the time I took to get some coaching and know I will be back after I have had time to practice the tweaks the coach found for me. He will be sending me videos he took of the before and after and I excited to see this for myself.

One other thing I wanted to learn from and I have talked about with other bowlers was using tape. Up until recently, I hadn't felt I needed to use tape, but as I bowl more my thumb does swell and I had been using powder on my thumb when that was the case. Coach taught me how to use the tape properly and how to insert in the ball and how the two tapes we used differ from each other.

All in all I am very happy with my session and was well worth the cost of the coach and I feel I have some great things to practice on and incorporate into my game to get me going to the next level. Looking forward to futures sessions, I would like to work more on lane play with Sport patterns and how to adjust to them.

I have videos on YouTube from some practice session I did earlier this spring if anyone is interested in seeing them. Can also post up my coaching videos when I get them from my coach to see the difference in arm swing and approach we incorporated in my session. May get some video taken if I can get some practice in this next weekend.

Here is a rear view from an earlier practice session I think in February and you can see how I am coming around the ball and not staying behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EF50bzZ0b6A

Here is a side view from a practice session where I was working on slowing my feet down. I do have fast feet sometimes. You can also see how I don't really have a push away in my delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xAFJdehCDlo

billf
06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Glad to hear it all went well.
When I first read you didn't push away, I thought you were trying to describe a hinge. Turns out you weren't doing either.

Greenday
06-03-2013, 11:45 PM
When I first read you didn't push away, I thought you were trying to describe a hinge. Turns out you weren't doing either.

Yea, I was hoping it meant he just had a hinge.

Lofting the ball will definitely help you. The ball is just gripping too early and that's one of the things making you hit high/brooklyn. A less aggressive ball might have been better too, but when I practice certain techniques, I tend to just use the ball that feels most comfortable for me.

vdubtx
06-04-2013, 12:53 AM

Perhaps I am using incorrect terminology?? Not sure I am following the comment.

vdubtx
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
So I got 8 games of practice over the weekend and happy to report that I am feeling pretty good about my tweaks in my game. A slight pushaway of the ball as I take my first step has me I think using a hinge approach. I feel my timing is better and my steps are not as quick as they were in the videos above. I have videos from my practice sessions that I have not processed/edited yet.

More practice to come this coming weekend.

vdubtx
06-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Forgot to mention in my prior post that I had never heard of the term Hinge in all my years of bowling until Bill mentioned it in response to an above post. I did some research and found some very good videos that describe it.

billf
06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Here's an article on the hinge written by my mentor and fellow New England native, Joe Slowingski http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskifeb09.pdf

vdubtx
06-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Here's an article on the hinge written by my mentor and fellow New England native, Joe Slowingski http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskifeb09.pdf

Thanks bill. I did actually find the article and read it over the weekend. It is a very good read.

vdubtx
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Here is a video from the side of one of my practice sessions last week. This is the first practice session I had after meeting with my coach.

Any comments are welcome. :)

http://youtu.be/8QIT5C4jBnA

Prior video of me prior to coaching are in a prior post but I will post here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAFJdehCDlo

The things we worked on were a more pronounced push away of the ball on my first step, lofting the ball a little rather than delivery right at foul line and to stay behind the ball more. Hoping I am achieving these tweaks in my new video. Going to get some more practice today hopefully some more video as well.

billf
06-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Sorry, I was distracted by the shorts in the background

Tampabaybob
06-15-2013, 07:59 AM
VDUB..... First let me say your coach is very lucky. He's starting with someone that has all of the pieces to the puzzle. Watched all of your videos, and the one after the coaching session. The reduced speed on the approach will help you a lot. The only comment I have is having your balance leg in the air at the line. I teach all of my students to keep their balance leg toes on the floor. Why? Because that helps stabilize your entire body, and will give you much better leverage, if and when you need it. It also prevents lots of unnecessary movement at the line (look at your video and your see your leg bobbing up and down) that could and will at some point interfere with your release. Again, coaching sometimes is perception, and different coaches will teach different things. Ask him about what I said, he may or may not agree. What I found out years ago, having had MANY coaches thru the years, is to try something. If it works great, if it doesn't let it go. You'd be surprised how many things (ideas) you'll keep and embellish to fit your style. Good luck, you have good style, arm swing, and like I said your coach is lucky to have someone with your ability.

vdubtx
06-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Thank you for the analysis Bob. Will work on my trailing leg and see what happens.