PDA

View Full Version : First sport league

panbanger
05-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Joined my first sport league, called PBA Experience. We will play on 4 different patterns, with 3 consecutive weeks on each pattern. I think it's a great deal at only 15 bucks a week! We only have 6 teams at 3 people per team. I was a bit let down that more people didnt turn out for this, but we did have really bad storms last night so maybe more people will join next week.

Anyways, what were your experiences like in your first sport league? My first impressions were that this is more like old-school bowling...in that if you miss your spot you pay the price, BIG TIME! My average score went down 30 points from what it was on a THS. I'm hoping this league will improve my targeting, and make me force to adjust to changing conditions. I have a tendancy to stick with a spot (or a certain ball) for too long after I see that it isn't working.

On the positive side, my scores were somewhat consistant, at least compared to other bowlers that I saw. People bowling 210 the first game and 105 the second game, etc.

vdubtx
05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Been a few years since I bowled the PBA Experience league on my home center, but more times than not I left the house humbled. If you do not hit your target on any of the patterns, you are in for a long night. We would bowl 4 games each week and I was proud that at the end of the short summer league, I shot an 800+. :D Yes, 4 games, but to me was an achievement to average 200+ for that night. Don't recall exactly my average for the season but was in the mid to low 180's. I remember Cheetah having to really speed ball up so it didn't cross over head pin, Shark had to really slow it down since it was longer pattern.

Which house are you bowling? See you are in the DFW area. I currently only bowl at Rowlett, looking to get another league this fall at AMF Garland or Plano.

panbanger
05-30-2013, 08:51 PM
I bowl at the Brunswick in Denton. 200 average for a night is awesome!

billf
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
I remember my first sport league. Wow! It really helped me target and adjust quicker. Before that I would wait 5 or more frames too long to adjust. It's a great learning tool if your ego can handle it and usually good for at least a 10 pin increase in average on a THS.

TCJ
05-31-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm bowling in my first sport pattern league this year. After four weeks, I'm averaging 161 (196 THS average), but it's been going up. We started out on Shark and that pattern killed me (and nearly everyone else). Scorpion I'm averaging in the mid 180's and have one more week to go on it. I find that I have a relatively large target area (3 to 4 boards) with Scorpion that still gives me pocket hits once the lanes break down a bit, so I get better as the night goes on. My first game is usually fairly low.

vdubtx
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
I bowl at the Brunswick in Denton. 200 average for a night is awesome!

Cool! Daughter goes to UNT, am always up in Denton for one thing or another.

CeKnauss
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm bowling a sport/ball league at AMF Boulevard in Edmond, and while the entry is $20 a week, it is certified, it benefits the local university bowling team, and we all get a ball in the end. Presently there are about 38 teams of 2 in it (40 lane house is packed). I'd say it is definitely a learning experience, but some of the people are taking it way too seriously and still react like they would on a house shot (kicking the ball return, throwing balls onto the ball return, throwing hissy fits)... I'm there to have fun, meet some new people, and learn. As a result, my average has risen each week and I'm starting to get more comfortable.

panbanger
06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Had my 2nd session last night, did better! My average was 156 in week one, and 169 last night. It was the 2nd week of Cheetah and I was making adjustments as the night went on. Switching balls during warm ups to see what worked, then switching balls as the pattern broke down. Moving over boards when needed. I liked it! It's a big deal for me since I tend to stick with something that isn't working for too long lol

vdubtx
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Nice, that's a good improvement. After you roll on the other patterns and go back to them you will be even better. One thing I liked about the PBA experience leagues is that it made you be accurate. One other thing I learned is that your spare game needs to be very good too.

got_a_300
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I'd say it is definitely a learning experience, but some of the people are taking it way too seriously and still react like they would on a house shot (kicking the ball return, throwing balls onto the ball return, throwing hissy fits)...
Those kind of bowlers ruin the fun for the rest of the people trying to
have a good time and trying to learn the shot.

Those are the ones that the center Mgr. should come down and talk to
and tell them to cool it and take it easy on the centers equipment and
give them an attitude adjustment.