PDA

View Full Version : cracked bowling ball

GoodGorilla
06-01-2013, 12:08 PM
One of my balls cracked around one of the finger holes. From the looks of it it shouldn't alter the performace of the ball, but it looks like if I tried to drain the oil out of it, the water would get pretty deep into the surface. Does this mean the ball is pretty much useless now? I bet I could put some tape over it while draining.

billf
06-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't chance soaking it without knowing what filler material was used. Instead get the fingers plugged and redrilled and all will be good.

Judy clemons
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
would that plugging & re drilling work on a plastic polyurethane ball too? the thumb whole has cracked and the pro shop
declined to pull out and replace insert due to the cracking so I purchased another ball to replace it but if this one is still
able to be fixed and re used I would like to give it to my daughter in law ( I do not want to give her a piece of junk ) though!
I have already given her my Brunswick twisted fury strike ball and she could use a spare straight ball but I need to know if
it can be fixed like new or if I should chunk it out.

GoodGravy
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Any excuse for getting a new ball is a good excuse!!!

Really through...as with any sports equipment, why would you want to use something that has an obvious defect. Busted up equipment equals busted up results :-)

billf
06-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Judy, I'm not positive but I don't think it would work as well on a plastic ball. Taking the insert out can really let that crack become a gash. Hopefully one of the pro shop guys can chime in with their experience on this.

Jaescrub
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Ya I would not risk it. My buddy Chopper has a Storm Trauma he loves! It's his fav ball and his go to when nothing else in his arsenal is working. But his is cracked around the fingers can be fixed but not baked soaked non of that till the cracks are fixed. So we got him a storm Iq tour after weeks of trying to win one I pitched in some money and its just about replaced his fav ball. And to Judy if your pro shop will not touch it might be time to replace and gift the replacement to her ;) I'm all about giving Bowling balls as gifts to help move our sport forward. In fact I told my sister in law that for her high school graduation gift my wife and I are getting her a ball. She just wanted money :/ might get her one anyways.

Judy clemons
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
thank you all I have decided not to give her the cracked maxim after reading the advices on here. thank you all! you have helped
me to make a rightfully good decision i'm sure!

Bendial
06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I had the same thing happen to my DV8 marauder madness, cracked bridge between the two finger holes...happened a couple weeks after I tried the "soaking the ball method" to remove oil. I won't be soaking my balls anymore

Stormed1
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Judy, it depends on how excessive the cracking is. The cracked area can be drilled or routed out and repaired. The ball would then be fine. The other question would be what the shop would charge you

Greenday
06-05-2013, 11:30 PM
How much does the plugging and redrilling cost? Plastic balls are pretty cheap so it might just be better to get a new one.