PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium bowling pin tournaments?

Judy clemons
06-03-2013, 02:00 AM
We came across this special pin tournament at AMF EULESS LANES not too long ago and I have been
curious ever since to find out the purpose of why these types of pins were used and how long they have
been doing tournaments specifically for magnesium pins?
We had a chance to compare the normal pin that we are use to bowling with to this type of pin and you could
definitely feel the magnesium is heavier and the sound of them is different too. but I still don't understand
why there would be a traveling league using them in a tournament does anyone have any information about
this ...I would love to be enlightened, please?

DLP
06-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Did a little research on Google and it sounds interesting. Looks like the history is that they were come up with sometime in the late 60s and was approved for use. Because they are a heavier pin, apparently they react quite differently, as in less scatter and pins flying around so it's a challenge to have a higher scoring game.

Check up on "Lumberjack" bowling tournaments! Apparently it causes quite a challenge since accuracy becomes more critical when you don't have a lot of scatter.

Greenday
06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
If the pins are heavier, it'll change how they fly around (Less pin action) and how your ball will deflect off the pins (probably needs just a slightly stronger angle).

Judy clemons
06-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Okay then please explain why any one would want to bowl in a league with that type of pin (that has no action) I like to
watch pins dance around and fall.

Gunz1911
06-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Same reason for sport patterns? Just makes the game different.

edpup316
06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Okay then please explain why any one would want to bowl in a league with that type of pin (that has no action) I like to
watch pins dance around and fall.

Some people want a challange. Makes the game exciting and fun. Did that really need to be explained....

classygranny
06-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Seems like you would really be able to tell what the ball is doing and how it is reacting. Sometimes I wish my pins didn't dance so much...like when my coach asks: "what pin was the last to fall?" Duh, guess I might not have been watching close enough.