PDA

View Full Version : Storm Freak'n Frantic by Storm Staffer Scott Widmer

SWidmer
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
My Freak'n Frantic Layout: 65 degrees x 4 1/8" by 2 3/4"

When I first read about the Freak'n Frantic I saw the same thing as most everyone else has mentioned. Technically it was the same ball as the Fringe (same core, same cover but different color/scent). This didn't excite me very much since I've had a love/hate relationship with my Fringe. I loved the reaction shape it gave me but with my higher ball speed I could easily throw it through the break when bowling on a little bit of oil.

Once I had a chance to throw a Freak'n Frantic at a MatchMaker and I was immediately impressed and convinced that it was not quite the same ball as the Fringe but more of a pearlized version of the Frantic. The Frantic is a ball I still like very much, being a straighter player it's a piece that helps me open up the back part of the lane. It gave me length without completely giving away the midlane. I was excited to see a similarly drilled Freak'n Frantic gave me a little more length (3-4 boards less overall hook compared to the Frantic) without completely losing that midlane roll. I don't see quite as much continuation out of the Freak'n Frantic compared to the Frantic but that could have more to do with the slightly stronger layout of the Freak'n Frantic than the ball itself.

Overall I am very impressed with the performance of this mid-level pearl and plan to have it my bag for quite some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkBEwp-DIZg

Conditions I have used the Freak'n Frantic on: 40' THS, 42' THS, 2013 USBC Nationals Doubles/Singles (39'), Turnpike (41')

Where it fits in my bag: Ball down from IQ Tour/IQ Tour Pearl/Reign of Power, Ball up from Black/Cherry Tropical Breeze.

When I use it: When I want to play the track or right of the track on a fresh house shot or when a solid stops making the corner.