PDA

View Full Version : Form, trying to lose loft and lose chicken wing :)

bowldave
06-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi!

Bowling for so long.. Always chicken winged it.
But decided to go for the more early release and less bend elbow...
Its fricking hard!!!
So i really need some training tips...

So i have 2 clips.. The first i throw 2 shots. Of my old form..
1st is with the balance arm normal to the left..
And 2nd is arm to the front.. the arm to the front is new for me since 2 weeks..
it keeps my upperbody more steady i think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkitOSZzCtM

this vid i shot today after first time training on the more early release and straight elbow...
it creates more speed... and i need to work on my ending positions.. it terrible i know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzpNX75zoUw&feature=youtu.be

love to know what you think!

striker12
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
ok on the 2nd video the swing was good but if you want to keep the loft you can, you just cock your wrist more and when your wrist gets to the bottom you start to put up to rev the ball and it will help you make the loft.

bowldave
06-10-2013, 06:12 PM
ok on the 2nd video the swing was good but if you want to keep the loft you can, you just cock your wrist more and when your wrist gets to the bottom you start to put up to rev the ball and it will help you make the loft.

creating loft is not an issue :) its to much... cause the ball is to high from the ground when release because of the bend in the elbow.. i think..

billf
06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Other than the finish, the second video is much better. The slight loft in video 2 is fine. Lofting 12-18" out onto the lane is usually ideal.
Your slide foot having to move back in line is what threw your balance off. Keep practicing and it will come.

Tampabaybob
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
All in all, your approach looks very good. I'll agree with Bill the 2nd video is pretty much right on. What I see from a balance standpoint, would be to slow your first step down a little, and keep that right leg on the floor as you slide. THAT is your biggest balance point. The only other thing I would recommend is to stay in that bent over position you have as you release the ball, and stay there until you see the ball drop off of the pin deck. It's called posting your shot. Because you'd be completely balanced at that point it helps you to have better accuracy, and to be able to watch the ball as it continues down the lane. Remember the ball will give you a ton of information, IF you pay attention to what it does once it leaves your hand.
Good luck and let us see another video in a couple of weeks. (and not in the dark...please.... LOL)

bowldave
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
so got the new vid!
its a bit clearer i think :) haha..
but my arm is getting straighter.. and my evil loft is getting better..
traind real hard for some weeks.. and its getting more and more natural to put the ball more early on the lane!
what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mibhrj2z__4&feature=youtu.be

billf
07-04-2013, 10:58 AM
The chicken wing is extinct! The loft you have there is fine, an ideal amount to clear the usually too dry area of the heads.

got_a_300
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
The last video is a 100% improvment in your back swing
and loft so keep up the good work.

Gunz1911
07-04-2013, 02:13 PM
So its actually bad not to loft? Is it just cause the pro's do sports patterns that most of them get that smooth "swoosh" release.

billf
07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
To not loft is OK. Sport patterns usually have oil right to the foul line. THS are so thin the spot just past the foul line, usually 12-18", dries up real fast.
Most of the pros do loft that first bit but it's so low and out onto the lane that it hits very smoothly. No loud bangs from them. Even when they do loft it far, you won't see or hear any double dribbles.

Greenday
07-04-2013, 04:34 PM
So its actually bad not to loft? Is it just cause the pro's do sports patterns that most of them get that smooth "swoosh" release.

There are times when lofting is a very good thing (Drier lanes) and when it's not so useful (Heavy oil).

Tampabaybob
07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
so got the new vid!
its a bit clearer i think :) haha..
but my arm is getting straighter.. and my evil loft is getting better..
traind real hard for some weeks.. and its getting more and more natural to put the ball more early on the lane!
what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mibhrj2z__4&feature=youtu.be

If this style doesn't get you to 225 I'm not sure what will. Here's what I just saw....chicken wing gone...great balance at the line with your left arm out, right foot pretty much on the floor (good enough there), and much better knee bend AND knee forward motion at release. You're there my man !!

One of the things I saw in the first videos and didn't comment on was the small amount of knee bend at the line. You've cured that and that also will help you release the ball earlier rather than hanging onto it from more of an upright position.

Don't let this go to your head, but looking at yor approach from the back, you could substitute this for a PBA touring pro, and no one would ever know the
difference !! That's how good you're looking going down to the line. Any other changes you need to make will be so small it's will never be noticeable to anyone but yourself. Great change, good job on getting there, now the hard part is to keep it there. Get your butt in some tournaments and go make some money !!

bowldave
07-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Wow! Thnx Bob!! Thats the biggest compliment in 19 years of bowling :D

I have to give some credit to Jim Merrel for helping me through another website!

What i do noticed is that my speed got a little higher.. And get slightly different reaction..
Balls arc more instead of the extreem snappyness..
But here in Holland with the tough lane patterns its better i think!

Im uploading a clip of my release now...
Some shots really show the knee forward motion at release!
Post it when it done!
Thnx!!

Tampabaybob
07-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Dave..... You're welcome. That criticism is well deserved. You've shown others here on the site that with a little determination and many games of practice you CAN accomplish what you want.
Jim Merrill is a great coach and is dynamite at being able to segment someones approach and release with the software that he has. I wish I could afford to have that on my computer as well, but he is one of the best, for sure.

Stay in touch, because I'd love to know how these changes are going to affect your average over the next several months, especially after the fall leagues start.

bowldave
07-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Here it is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSN9cKPVG2c

Greets Dave

Tampabaybob
07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking you are or will be one of the best bowlers in Holland. Good luck, stay in touch !!