PDA

View Full Version : First coaching session scheduled!!!!

DLP
06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
SO EXCITED!!!

First session next Wed night :)

billf
06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Write down all your questions so you don't forget any. Take notes during your session. Don't be intimidated or overly sensitive. It's your money and time so make the best of it.

You would be surprised how many clients don't take notes the first lesson. Then on the second or third lesson when I ask how much they have worked on such and such they give a blank look and say, "I forgot all about that". Many people don't realize they are allowed to take notes, etc. Personally, I didn't give it much thought until I started coaching and people weren't taking notes. Now when I schedule a new client, I tell them to bring a pen and notebook. If they don't, I hand them a pen and some paper on arrival. I also e-mail a copy of the video session.

Enjoy and hope it goes great for you!

DLP
06-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Tonight's the night!

New ball (12lb Fringe), new brace (Mongoose Lifter), and new socks (well new to my bowling bag - the ones that are in there now are getting a little whiffy). =)

DLP
06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Didn't work on anything to fancy but changed just a few things that changed my game significantly

Not working on hook - just keying in on fundamentals.

We changed my starting point for my approach, which foot I have forward, and simplified my release.

On my five step approach I was starting with my right foot forward slightly of my left (feet not together), so I always had my right shoulder angled forward, so throwing across myself was a big thing. We adjusted my starting point after I started with my left foot forward a bit, which squared up my shoulders giving me a more forward aim and honed in on aiming where I would get the best change of hitting the right pocket if I aimed well. Most of my strikes were from hitting the right pocket instead of the left which is NEW to me!!!

We also worked on slowing down on my approach and relaxing (HAH! Doesn't this sound familiar) and letting gravity and momentum carry the ball, letting it roll off my hand instead of throwing it (which is how I ended up getting most of my sliding down the lane instead of actually rolling). Ball speed dropped when I did this BUT the number of revolutions increased AND the accuracy improved immensely. The ball was actually rolling through the oil and not sliding around.

So three things for me to work on - starting point, speed of approach, and aim.

My "practice" with the coach learning how I bowled and working on aiming and spare shots - 109

Three game series following with his guidance and just focusing on the three things:
140/137/117

Hellllo - can we say 131 average :)

Yes, I took notes...

I threw one extra line as I was getting tired (it would be my 5th game) and I ended on a 100

Hard to believe I was only tossing double digit averages a few weeks ago :D

billf
06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Good job. Amazing what little things a qualified coach can see to gain big improvements.

got_a_300
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Way to go just changing a few little things can make a drastic
improvement in your game and scores and by having a second
set of eyes behind you like a coach that can tell you what you
are doing wrong makes a big difference.

crimsoneyes
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Tonight's the night!

New ball (12lb Fringe), new brace (Mongoose Lifter), and new socks (well new to my bowling bag - the ones that are in there now are getting a little whiffy). =)

I bet the socks did the trick!

HughScot
06-22-2013, 12:16 PM
That's great Donna, glad you were able to find someone to help you. I started three years ago and it is a long slow climb. Good luck.