PDA

View Full Version : Bowling with challenges

billf
06-18-2013, 10:25 PM
All of us started bowling for the same reason: to have fun. Along the way each of us will have something happen, tempory or permanent, that will challenge us to not just keep bowling but to continue to improve.
For those born with a disability or limitation, this can be a daily battle not just physically but mentally as well. Most of us have seen people bowl and do other things that are difficult for them and feel inspired but until we ourselves go through a debilitating situation we can not truly appreciate the accomplishment.

My grandduaghter has severe Down's Syndrome. At 10 years old she still needs the bumpers but has a blast. Her speech is very limited but she can say "bowl please Bill". I have to keep a very close eye on her because she will take off and try to help others so we usually can't bowl together but she also sometimes goes just to watch. Even after a bad shot there will be a high five waiting for me. You just can't get mad at yourself when somebody is cheering that enthusiatically.

For those that haven't been here the last 18 months here's a little background. I was born blind in my left eye. On Nov 3, 2010 while trying to replace a front axle u-joint, the cup exploded and hit me in the right eye. It tore my retina in two places, the cornea in three places, two holes in the lens and six holes in the eyeball itself. Luckily I stayed calm. I had seven hours of emergency surgery at OSU with several other procedures to follow. My first question in recovery (Thurday) was, "Can I bowl Saturday?" Turns out I had to stay face down the first month. After that the doctors decided I could bowl saying it wasn't strenuous. Obviously they had never seen me practice. I wasn't allowed to lift more than 15 pounds so I had to get new balls. I spent the next 14 months at the bowling alley while my wife was at work. I couldn't see a thing. Knowing I needed the most area as possible I taught myself how to be a Cranker. As different people got off work they would come by the alley to see how I was doing and help me when they could. The employees at the alley were awesome. Even if they couldn't be at the lane, they would yell out what pins were left. From Dec 9, 2010 through Jan 9, 2012 I averaged 195 (including summer leagues). It was not uncommon for me to bowl 40 or 50 games a day. One Saturday I bowled 137 games. I know how much time, work, sweat and pain I went through in that time just to be competitive. There are others that work just as hard every day just to live their lives.

So this thread is to acknowledge those who have overcome any kind of adversity to enjoy life and/or this wonderful sport. Tell us about your story or that of someone you know. Do so knowing it's inspiration you're giving and not pity or sympathy you're receiving.

the_halfie
06-18-2013, 10:52 PM
There's always a silver lining in every situation, sometimes it's just a little harder to see than others. For me I found silver lining in the fact that I was BORN the way I was. I was born without legs, I never had to miss them, never had to re-adapt at a later age.

I've always been competitive to a certain extent. I grew up never being pitied by my family, never treated differently from my brother, and was always told "you can do anything you put your mind to" and I proved that time and time again. Played basketball every day growing up starting in the 3rd grade (thanks to my brother), got recruited into wrestling in high school (wasn't great but hey lol), and played football in high school as well (nose guard). Never was a "superstar" but I proved IT CAN BE DONE period.

Now I'm 27 years old, and I started bowling during the fall 2011-2012 season. I started off by pushing the ball, because I had no clue if there was a way I could THROW it while clearing the ground. Being the stubborn hardheaded leprechaun that I am, I found a way and I continue improving it every time I bowl (at least I believe I do) to throw the ball.

I keep VERY light about my "situation" (just look at my username, it's a nickname I picked up 10 years ago). Always cracking jokes, and sometimes people don't know how to react because they feel bad about it, and I always have to ask them, "would you rather somebody moped about and felt sorry for themselves, or cracked jokes, had a good time and made the best of their situation?" Gotta have fun in life, and you're not going to have fun if you stress yourself out and mope about! I am a staggering 2'8" at a WHOPPING 140 lbs and I will use every advantage I have to get better at bowling, just dont get jealous that you have to pay for shoes, and I don't lol

billf
06-18-2013, 11:07 PM
From the beginning the doctors told me I would never regain my sight. I said, "Well, it was good while it lasted." Not once did I ask, why me or mope around. I made jokes about it all the time. I viewed it as just another part of life.
The second day after surgery I asked the nurse if I could use the bathroom instead of a bed pan. "I can hear where it is. Can I at least try?" She said sure. I sat there for a few minutes waiting for her to unhook my IV. I was told when I got to the hospital that I would be on a morphine drip. After quite awhile the nurse asked if I changed my mind. I told her no, just waiting for my IV to me unhooked. She said I wasn't on an IV. No pain meds, I asked. No, you haven't asked for any. Hell, I didn't ask because I thought I was on them. No wonder it hurt so bad. And to think, I just thought morphine sucked!

One time my wife asked how the traffic was my way. "Looks good to me." She started to go when she realized she asked a blind man what the traffic looked like lol
Shortly after getting home from the hospital I told her I was going to let the dog out and go to the basement to smoke. After a few minutes I heard her open the back door and say, " I thought you were going to the basement?" "I'm in the basement." Wife said, " then why don't you turn the light on?" "Umm, because it would still be dark to me." I also tried doing the dishes and vacuuming. She finally told me to just stick with bowling, I was making more work for her trying to help. I just wish she took a pic of the day I mowed the lawn.

You're right about the silver lining. Just because at times we can't see it right away, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

the_halfie
06-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Exactly the type of mindset everybody should have! My opinion of course =P

I've had moments like that, even with my ma lol. One day I asked her to get me a drink because they had them up too high in the pantry, she was kind've busy (I was about 10 at the time) and she responded with, "you got legs use them!" "OH I do?! When did this happen?! Miracle grow actually works?!" The look of horror on her face when she realized her mistake, and the uncontrollable laughter followed up by "You ain't right" made my day lol. I still tease her about it lol.

Jaescrub
06-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Any one that can over come set backs in life are heroes to me. Your hard work makes others want to do better them selfs ;)

Tampabaybob
06-19-2013, 07:31 AM
I always applaud those of you that have done such a remarkable job of life. It's a true testament to will power and perseverance that all of us should look up to.
Cudo's to both of you and the many challenges you've faced and others in the same types of situations. Great job guys.

DLP
06-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Have to agree with everyone's sentiment!!

I know two people who have overcome a lot to be involved in the sport.

I think I mentioned about the guy at the local lanes who is a disabled vet. He's actually sponsored by Motiv. Great guy, great attitude. He also shoots archery and trap shoots. I get a chance to talk to him every once in awhile and it turns out that one of his greatest joys is working with vets and children who are learning to overcome the adversity. He said there is no greater feeling than watching someone who thinks they can't do anything at all be on top of the world.

My step-brother was born with a deformed right arm. He wrestled in high school despite that. He's gone on to school for culinary arts (but no one will hire him because they say he wouldn't be able to keep up with the speed in a commercial kitchen) and he has gotten really close on throwing a 300. He's won several honors, league awards, and tournaments, and has very limited use of his right hand. Btw, he's a dang good cook and his pumpkin roll is the bomb!

classygranny
06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
You two are quite an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good work and the great postings.

I bowl in a Friday am league with mostly older people. About 3 or 4 years ago, one of the gents lost his leg just above the knee. He has not been able to wear the artificial leg due to the pain. So he bowls by wheeling up to the line, standing on one leg - one hand on the wheelchair, and releases the ball. This has been about three years now and he averages about 130. By the way, he's over 80 years old.

The mind - is a very strong thing!

the_halfie
06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
DLP both of my parents served our country, so I grew up around the military and let me tell you, a DETERMINED military man/ woman can and will overcome ANYTHING. I thank the guy you've seen at your local lanes along with everybody else who's served their country. I think the best thing about this sport that we all obviously enjoy is there's an actual equal opportunity for EVERYONE regardless of what adversity they may be going through. I just wish I had gotten more involved in this sport growing up lol! There is a physical aspect to the game, but I'd say roughly 90% of the game is all in your head. The mental aspect is unlike anything else I've done sport wise, and it's fun. Now if only I can quit psyching myself out, and stop making 1 million adjustments every time I throw a bad ball lol! As for your step brother those are some awesome accomplishments! Hopefully somebody will give him a shot in the kitchen.

The German Shepherd
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Excellent post, Bill, and very well said.

Jay

Greenday
06-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Exactly the type of mindset everybody should have! My opinion of course =P

I've had moments like that, even with my ma lol. One day I asked her to get me a drink because they had them up too high in the pantry, she was kind've busy (I was about 10 at the time) and she responded with, "you got legs use them!" "OH I do?! When did this happen?! Miracle grow actually works?!" The look of horror on her face when she realized her mistake, and the uncontrollable laughter followed up by "You ain't right" made my day lol. I still tease her about it lol.

LOL, nice. It's always good to see people taking life's curveballs in stride.

At the alley I bowl in, we have quite a few people with varying physical/mental disabilities. And they are truly inspirational to watch. One guy has a physical problem that prevents him from doing a normal throwing motion. He throws a 18-19 mph backup ball that hooks really hard and he's really damn good with it. A few guys with more severe disabilities that bowl, they are so happy when they bowl that it truly keeps me from being upset even when I bowl like crap.

Only real problem I've had to overcome with bowling was when I got a tumor in my thumb from bowling my senior year of high school. I noticed it and it felt super weird in the beginning of the season, so I waited until after the season was over to tell anyone about it. Luckily it turned out benign, but the surgeon almost had to take out the nerve in my thumb. The tumor was completely wrapped around the nerve. Took me a long time before I could bowl again. And then when I did, the skin where I had surgery would constantly rip off. Even now, seven years later, it's still prone to ripping sometimes. Now that I have a good ball driller, we've managed to get my balls where it doesn't hurt my thumb anymore. Helps prevent anything from reforming.

the_halfie
06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Dang, do you use tape around your thumb now to help prevent it from tearing? Or does the way your balls are drilled keep you from needing tape?

Greenday
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Dang, do you use tape around your thumb now to help prevent it from tearing? Or does the way your balls are drilled keep you from needing tape?

I have thumb slugs put in which are softer than just a regular drilling. Then it's beveled out super rounded so there's no friction around the top of the hole. I have to put a few pieces of grip tape inside to keep my thumb from coming out early.

Before I met that guy, I bought this (Brunswick Thumb Saver (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Brunswick/4521/Thumb-Saver-Right-Handed.html?gclid=CNDx9OGL8bcCFUOi4AodQnAAsQ)) and that was working well at protecting my thumb, but it felt more like a crutch than anything.

the_halfie
06-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Alright, at least you found something that works and keeps you from constantly ripping your thumb! Nothing is more annoying to me than constantly re-injuring the same spot over and over again.