PDA

View Full Version : Third Game Crash

classygranny
06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
For the past few bowling leagues, I seem to be crashing on my third game. Example: 230, 177, 169 then 188, 186, 151 then 166, 183, 129 then 221, 194, 129

I only have about these games on my new ball, plus a few games working with my coach. I don't see him again until mid-July.

Any ideas or suggestions? My thoughts lean to any of the following, but at this point I'm only guessing: Change in ball holding in stance-since it's more out in front of me I have to support more with my left hand/arm and perhaps it is fatigue not being use to the weight, footwork slowing or speeding (altho, I don't notice this), lack of focus for whatever reason-altho I most always know if I hit my mark and try and adjust accordingly-maybe not quick enough as I always first assume it was my mechanics not the lane conditions, new ball syndrome of not realizing how it reacts to lane conditions fast enough, it was too HOT, I was hungry, and my hair was in my face. I'm lost.

Feed me opinions and suggestions. I fixed one - I cut my bangs today so I removed that possibility. Unfortunately, I was so frustrated with last nights bowling, I now have to go see the hair stylist! I couldn't even cut a few hairs correctly! This game can be so frustrating, yet so rewarding - what gives?

JDHamm85
06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
If I had to take a stab, I would guess that it is the oil transition. By the third game, the oil has probably skid down further and causing more skid for your ball.
If most people are using the same line, it is going to change fast. You might have to find a spot with more friction in the later games so that your ball doesn't hit the backend oil and skid past its breaking point.

Greenday
06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
What kind of moves are you making? Are you just moving your feet, or are you changing your target too? I find myself making 2:1 adjustments (Two with feet:One with target) more often now and it's helping. Lets me stay on oil still, but then I get hit the same breakpoint.

DLP
06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I find myself reaching a state of fatigue. This was mostly tied to throw my 14 lb ball though. I'll be able to report back if the same holds true after spending a few games tossing around my lighter ball.

Tampabaybob
06-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Gayla....two words I've mentioned before.... DEAD ZONE You now have the subscription to BTM so go into the archives and look up the Dec 2009 issue. Read it, then read it again. What is happening to you is the classic Dead Zone syndrome. Let me know if I'm hitting the mark.

DLP
06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Dead zone syndrome?

GeoLes
06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
"At the sign post up ahead....The Dead Zone"

classygranny
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Gayla....two words I've mentioned before.... DEAD ZONE You now have the subscription to BTM so go into the archives and look up the Dec 2009 issue. Read it, then read it again. What is happening to you is the classic Dead Zone syndrome. Let me know if I'm hitting the mark.

I'm suspecting that as well. I have read some on it. When I did my subscription to BTM they mailed me two copies in an envelope, no label. To get to the archives you need a number off your mailing label so I wont be able to get that until the July issue. Can't wait.

I finally got my Meanstreak Brawler drilled. I hadn't even thrown it so I was leary about bringing it out in league play, but I did last Tues in the third game but not until about the 7th or 8th frame and I didn't adust quickly enough, not knowing what it was going to do.

I am going to assume that on the THS I should just automatically go to the MB for the third game. At least, that is my mindset for tomorrow. If I am still scoring well in the second game I may continue with the RG for a few frames, but I think I am going to be quick to change balls and see what happens. Even if I am not quite familiar with the reaction, I should be close.

I'd like to blame the DEAD ZONE, but I do believe that some of the issue could be a bit of fatigue. Just trying to focus on all the new items I've worked on with my coach in the last two sessions...and not enough practice.

Thanks all for your input. At least I got to get some of my frustrations out of my head!

Tampabaybob
06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Explain to your coach what's happening and ask him how to make that type of adjustment for the third game. Also ask him if he recommends a ball change right away, or just a line adjustment. My first thoughts would to make the line adjustment first, staying with the same ball, then if that's no working make the ball adjustment. First move would be two boards left with your eyes and three boards left with your feet. Moving your feet more than your eyes, will get your ball into the oil sooner and keep it there a bit longer before hitting the friction area. It "should" move your balls' breakpoint a somewhat to get away from that oil that has moved around.

Many of these moves depends also on the other bowlers that on on the same lanes with you. Several years ago I had the EXACT same problem. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why my ball reaction would suddenly die in the third game. Then the light bulb came on !! One of the guy's I was bowling with was a cranker. He was moving oil into the area where my ball was just starting to hook up. So all of a sudden my ball was encountering "fresh" oil that wasn't there during the first two games. Hence the "DEAD ZONE" ! Once you figure this out AND a way to move your line away from it you'll see that your ball should react the exact same way as it did the first two games. This is another reason I preach to everyone here and also to the guys I bowl with, watch the people you are bowling with (or against) and watch where they're shooting. It's very important that you be able to predict with some accuracy where your next move should be. 99% of league bowlers DO NOT DO THIS. This is why you see many disgruntled third game reactions. Hope this makes sense to anyone reading this. The DEAD ZONE article will explain this, with photos, in more detail. Good luck, any questions just ask.

billf
06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
So this "dead zone" isn't just a place were deceased bowlers are buried in oil?
Bob, I would drive you batty with my dead zone adjustment. I usually move from 35 all the way over to 5, sometimes even the 1 board depending on who is on the lanes. During the summer it's mostly strokers so I can just stay left of them and not move all night :D

Tampabaybob
06-25-2013, 08:15 AM
So this "dead zone" isn't just a place were deceased bowlers are buried in oil?
Bob, I would drive you batty with my dead zone adjustment. I usually move from 35 all the way over to 5, sometimes even the 1 board depending on who is on the lanes. During the summer it's mostly strokers so I can just stay left of them and not move all night :D

Usually you can get away from this "ZONE" just by moving everything about 3 boards. In rare instances, yes a huge adjustment could be called for. It's one of those things that many bowlers don't realize that's happening, and all of a sudden the great shot they had in the 1st game and a half goes away.

If you want to see the actual lane patterns check out my dead zone article (you know where) and the photos are there from my photo bucket. Still have to call them to get reprint permission.

This dead zone is a great teaching tool for many bowlers. You don't have to be a 220 shooter to be impacted by this situation and MANY people could increase their scores IF they knew what to do and when. It a phenomena created by the synthetic lanes, that we never had to deal with on wooden lanes. Hopefully (eventually), people will migrate from here to you know where, and will be able to see this AND understand what's happening when their ball starts acting crazy ! Check it out.

dnhoffman
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
If I had to take a stab, I would guess that it is the oil transition. By the third game, the oil has probably skid down further and causing more skid for your ball.
If most people are using the same line, it is going to change fast. You might have to find a spot with more friction in the later games so that your ball doesn't hit the backend oil and skid past its breaking point.

Agreed - a big change in my average came to me when I learned to read the oil transition better. For example, one house I bowl at has pretty heavy oil for THS, and I can use a pretty aggressive ball on it, but if there are more than 4-5 right handers bowling on my lane I need to change equipment by that third game or else I'm playing so far left that I don't have any room for error.

GeoLes
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned the fatigue factor. Late in the series, old, bad habits can creep back into your game. I find that by the thrid game my hook begins to wain. Closer analysis reveals that I get sloppy on my release, but unaare of this, I try "tweaking stuff". Then the domino effect. I try to fix it by moving right... shortening my stride.... fixing my swing.... The more I try the broker it gets.

Solution: Back to basics on the third game. Rather than compensate, make certain the basics have not fallen off. Firm up the wrist. Snap up the release timing. Stay in the swing slot. Swing low and through your mark with longer follow through. Square up the hips and shoulders in the finish position. That' s how it works for me.

classygranny
07-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned the fatigue factor. Late in the series, old, bad habits can creep back into your game. I find that by the thrid game my hook begins to wain. Closer analysis reveals that I get sloppy on my release, but unaare of this, I try "tweaking stuff". Then the domino effect. I try to fix it by moving right... shortening my stride.... fixing my swing.... The more I try the broker it gets.

Solution: Back to basics on the third game. Rather than compensate, make certain the basics have not fallen off. Firm up the wrist. Snap up the release timing. Stay in the swing slot. Swing low and through your mark with longer follow through. Square up the hips and shoulders in the finish position. That' s how it works for me.

I wish I had thought of this last night...good point, especially evenings - I ended the night with a whopping 101 just couldn't get my head into that game or apparently my body either!

J Anderson
07-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Fatigue can definitely be a factor both physically and mentally. When I'm bowling well I tend to peak in the third game, which can be a problem in the sport league where there's still another game to bowl. On Monday my third game was a 199, the fourth only 183 because I didn't pick up on the clues that should have been telling me to adjust for the tenth frame.

Often, after bowling two good games, or even after bowling one spectacular game its hard to keep that same mental focus.

Tampabaybob
07-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Lots of things affect us on bowling night, with fatigue being one of them. (It's also one reason I don't drink anymore !) Anyway, overcoming that, as mentioned, going back to basics, IF, you can realize what's happening soon enough to change. Many times we get stuck in what we're doing, you could call it stubbornness, and we refuse to make those changes. Been there, done that, and went home kicking myself in the tail for the next 24 hours ! Realizing when something is going wrong, knowing what to do about it, AND acting upon that change is something every bowler has experienced and has had problems dealing with. It can be bad enough fighting off the transition of the oil, but if you throw in other factors, such as fatigue, etc, then it's a real problem to deal with. Time, experience, and patience, and there's still no guarantee, you'll master it. After bowling 50 + years, I can show you scores from last season that reflect this exact problem. It takes a couple of days after bowling for my head to stop aching from banging it on the wall after one of those nights !! LOL