PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Used ball, Redrill or keep it?

Gunz1911
06-21-2013, 09:38 AM
So I went bowling the other day and decided to check out the pro-shop. Inside they had a used DV8 Neon Yellow Misfit. Needless to say its a ball I have been looking at for awhile. After talking to the pro-shop guy about the ball, I was lucky enough to have the person who was selling it come in and was able to talk to him.

The ball was drilled with an interchangeable thumbsleeve, so I got to use the guys to try out the span and the ball. Everything felt really good so I bought the ball and need to go get a thumblseeve drilled.

My question, should I go ahead and keep the finger placement as is? The pin is just above my index fingure.

DLP
06-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Grats on your find!!!! I know I'm keeping the Fringe drilled the way it is for now (symmetric / low track) and it will stay that way until I start developing the skills to throw a hook and I'll go from there.

It comes down to personal preference and how it fits to your style.
Here's the drill sheet for the DV8

http://dv8bowling.com/uploads/balls/DV8_Drilling_Instructions.pdf

the_halfie
06-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Nice find! I've been looking at a Misfit Pearl since the fall season, but haven't pulled the trigger due to trying to find my consistent release point. Also haven't grabbed one because I was unsure if it'd be a "good fit" for my throwing style and the lanes I typically bowl on. Let us know how it works out for you!

JPbowl
06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
If you compare the ball to one drilled for you, if any hole placement varies by more than 1/4" id definitely have it re-drilled

Gunz1911
06-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Are you refering to the span, or layout? cause the layout is definitly different. The span felt good, I just need to get my own thumb slug drilled to make sure I like how it feels.

JPbowl
06-21-2013, 12:50 PM
span, get the thumb slug and try it out

billf
06-21-2013, 07:52 PM
As long as the span feels ok, I would try the current layout first. You never know, it may have a layout that you end up liking. You could always get it plugged later if need be.

RoccoRock
06-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Agreed, if the span is ok then keep it as is for now. You can always change it later if you don't like it.

Woodmaster
06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
I agree with everyone also, I use turbo switch grips and love them... along with some powder your done. never have a thumb stick again. Anyway.. I've found having a variety of pin placements (layouts) has been HUGE in keeping up with the lane changes and patterns. I am also working on that golden release and timing we all fight to get. But find these layout's can make all the difference in finding that good line sooner. Some work on the inside, Some out.. Guess I am saying don't fall into what I see all the time and that is, the pro shop that says Let's match it to your last ball that worked for you. How ever that's not to say it may not be the best thing to do.
So let er ride, be sure, practice practice practice.. then make a call.
Good luck, Life is good...

got_a_300
06-24-2013, 08:07 AM
I'd have to say as long as the span works for you and
you get the reaction out of the ball that your looking
for than use it as is.

If you do not get the reaction out of the ball that you're
looking for then I'd plug and re-drill it because the layout
on the ball probably doesn't match up to your PAP.

GeoLes
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Nothing wrong with redrilled balls, unless they have lost their "zip". I found an old Columbia TI Messenger in a garage sale a couple of years ago. I think it is CA 1990's. I had it restored to out-of-the-box finish, plugged and redrilled. It is still a strong back-end ball for medium dry lane conditions. Not bad for an old, retiired ball.