PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Thumb Tape or Powder?

Woodmaster
06-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Opinion's please? I get sweaty hands and sticking thumbs. I handle the hands with a good rosin bag, going to order a Scented Storm bag to try. I also switched to a turbo thumb Switch grip's which I love the crap out of. Two sizes suite me perfectly. How ever I still get a slight sticking when I use the smaller grip and my hand is not swelled up so the larger one is really to loose.
I've been told to try tape instead of easy slide powder. What kind of tape would I use and has anyone had better success with tape as opposed to powder?
Thanks

crimsoneyes
06-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I use vise Hada patches. Love them. You can buy a sample pack on ebay for like $6 with a couple of each type. They have different textures and thicknesses to adjust release speed. Great way to try them out and see what works best for you.

DLP
06-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I've tried both the powder and the black tape. I think it comes down to personal preference. The powder worked better than the tape because I would end up with swelling issues very early (do not have switch grips). What I found worked better for me was to get the thumb hole drilled out a smidge and use white tape until my thumb swelled then remove the tape as time progressed. Have you tried using tape with the larger one and then removing it as your thumb swells?

Just a thought.

billf
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
I use Vise ITs. I also have a piece of black tape at the front of each sleeve and use the blue Vise Hada patch on the back of my thumb. This combination keeps my thumb flying out with no sticking, even during marathon sessions.
Any type and make of plastic can stick. The tape just puts a slick surface between the plastic and thumb.

WolfGirl1980
06-22-2013, 09:36 PM
My coach told me to get a puff ball for that and so far its works like a charm just a regular puff ball by master the giant or small which ever you prefer, and your quite welcome.

GoodGravy
06-23-2013, 12:47 PM
I tend to use powder a lot more than relying on tape. Even the smooth tape tends to get sticky for me when it gets really hot. Powder (either slide powder or hand conditioner or puff ball) has never failed, but it does get kinda messy and you have to refresh it all the time....

There are a ton of factors that will go into what works best, try 'em both out and go with what you are most comfortable with.

JDHamm85
06-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I like the powder aka hand conditioner. Never tried the bowling tape, but that is probably because I'd be afraid to put the tape in incorrectly and have a bubble or something pop up. The microfiber rosin bag has been enough for me.

RoccoRock
06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Tape. I use the Vise hada patch and it works great. I use two pieces side by side on the back of my thumb. Combined with a tight thumb hole makes for great control, and a fast, clean release.

billf
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Two pieces side by side, damn how big is your thumb! One piece covers about 90% of my thumb.

RoccoRock
06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
My thumb isn't that big. One piece of the vise tape only covers the back of my thumb. Two covers the back and sides.

WolfGirl1980
06-26-2013, 08:11 AM
My Coach said the specifically said not to use a rosin bag and said that the puff ball will keep your hands dry I and that is a direct quote from her and don't ask me about punctuation cause I suck at that but she said to use the puff ball to keep your hands dry and out 90% out all the people in my winter league and summer league use them. I hardly see a rosin bag sometimes I see tape or patches but isn't that for keeping the thumb hole from rubbing too much even the ball is drilled right? I use a puff ball and it helps.