PDA

View Full Version : Changing Spare Pick Up Tactics

GoodGravy
06-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Well, after a recent rash of embarrassing 5 pin misses (not to mention having to jump the left gutter cap to even get close to the 10), I am taking the plunge and ordered a plastic ball today. My plan is to have it drilled with my normal set up ( finger tip, inserts, thumb slug etc...) and just make sure that my pro shop drills it for full control (zero hook).

It has been roughly 20+ years since I have used a plastic ball....is there anything new to be aware of, or just the same 'ol 'keep it clean and polished'?

crimsoneyes
06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
I've never actually done anything to my plastic ball other than wipe the oil off. I'm sure it could use a polish but I don't think there is anything else really to do to it.

billf
06-23-2013, 01:32 PM
I don't even wipe the oil off my plastic ball. I figure what's the worse that can happen, it skids further? lol
I also only use it during tournaments. I can't get a pro shop around here to put the Vise ITs in a polyester ball.

crimsoneyes
06-23-2013, 01:36 PM
My pro shop put the switch grip in my plastic ball. I know they are totally different installation methods but I wonder why they wont do an IT in polyester?

GoodGravy
06-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I was thinking about just having it drilled and leave out all the inserts....I might try it like that and see. If it doesn't work, the shop would be more than happy to put them in since they will get more money!

And yes, not wiping oil off the ball make sense. I was also reading that keeping it high gloss/polished up will help keep it true also.

bowl1820
06-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I was thinking about just having it drilled and leave out all the inserts....I might try it like that and see. If it doesn't work, the shop would be more than happy to put them in since they will get more money!

And yes, not wiping oil off the ball make sense. I was also reading that keeping it high gloss/polished up will help keep it true also.

One thing to remember, If you get the ball drilled without inserts (which is fine) and you decide later to have inserts installed. You have to have the holes plugged. If you don't and just have the holes drilled out bigger, it will make the bridge too thin and more likely to crack.

As for not wiping the ball. This is okay while your using it, but wipe it off before putting it in your bag. If you don't the oil (and any grime) on the ball will get the inside of your bag dirty over time. The oil will collect dust, dirt etc. and if you put other balls in those spots, they'll get dirty, absorb left over oil off the inside of the bag.

GeoLes
06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I just wipe it. I have found that the T-Zone has about 2 pin break in really dry conditions. So release can be a factor. Just release it with a flat grip to ensure a straight, end-over-end roll. If you are not used to this release, it may take some practice.

aussiedave
06-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Well, after a recent rash of embarrassing 5 pin misses (not to mention having to jump the left gutter cap to even get close to the 10), I am taking the plunge and ordered a plastic ball today. My plan is to have it drilled with my normal set up ( finger tip, inserts, thumb slug etc...) and just make sure that my pro shop drills it for full control (zero hook).

It has been roughly 20+ years since I have used a plastic ball....is there anything new to be aware of, or just the same 'ol 'keep it clean and polished'?
It will take a game or two to get used to the ball going straight on you, but sounds like you will still throw it the same way you do your strike ball. That's fine, but plastic balls can still hook if you've got some decent lift and revs on it. And patchy conditions will be enough to give you a problem if that is the case. If so, I would highly recommend you flathand the ball completely - keep your hand directly beneath the ball for those spares. This will straighten it out for ya.
ad.

classygranny
06-24-2013, 06:37 PM
My pro shop put the switch grip in my plastic ball. I know they are totally different installation methods but I wonder why they wont do an IT in polyester?

My pro shop guy says they have a tendency to chip or crack around the thumb - some do, some don't - it's a risk. He drills them as long as the ball owner knows the risk. He says it doesn't effect the ball, but some people would freak out if the ball had a crack/chip.

I want all my balls to feel exactly the same, so I take the risk. Figure plastic and polyester balls are cheap enough to replace if I don't like the results.

GoodGravy
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the help on this........

I should have the ball in a couple of days (shipping to Alaska, ya just have to love it). Now the big problem is going to be finding a pro shop that is open in the summer around here that will actually drill it!

vdubtx
06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Plastic ball will definitely do wonders with your spare game. I only use for right side pin leaves, but much more consistent than it used to be before going plastic years ago.

Jaescrub
06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm using my misfit to pick up my spares. I have been throwing it straight and putting a ton of speed on it so it does not have time
To turn its been working great for me like that.

GoodGravy
06-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Got my plastic ball the other day. Had it drilled out with pin in the palm, straight as an arrow!

Now just have to get my targeting down and remember that I don't have to adjust for a hook anymore.

Greenday
06-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Got my plastic ball the other day. Had it drilled out with pin in the palm, straight as an arrow!

Now just have to get my targeting down and remember that I don't have to adjust for a hook anymore.

For all my spare ball shots, I target the middle arrow. I stand on the 39 board for the 10 pin, 37 board for the 6 pin (Or 3-10 splits), and 36 board for the 3 and 9 pins. I find by taking that angle, it gives me a lot more wiggle room. No riding the gutter and praying for a plastic ball to hook when it clearly isn't going to. Plus it plays across the heavier oil in the middle to keep it straighter if it is drier lanes.

GoodGravy
06-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Without going into any detail....

I have been converted! If you don't have a ball in your bag that is specifically set up for spares (plastic/urethane/low-no hook drill pattern etc.) you are probably not picking up as many spares as you could. HUGE difference in the number of spares I am picking up now...2 clean games in a row yesterday at practice.

If you don't have a spare ball, I would recommend you go out and get one :-)

classygranny
06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Without going into any detail....

I have been converted! If you don't have a ball in your bag that is specifically set up for spares (plastic/urethane/low-no hook drill pattern etc.) you are probably not picking up as many spares as you could. HUGE difference in the number of spares I am picking up now...2 clean games in a row yesterday at practice.

If you don't have a spare ball, I would recommend you go out and get one :-)

Are you shooting ALL your spares with spare ball?

aussiedave
07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm using my misfit to pick up my spares. I have been throwing it straight and putting a ton of speed on it so it does not have time
To turn its been working great for me like that.
Hi Jaescrub - I have seen a lot of bowlers use that method and it is great as long as you don't upset your timing or release. A lighter ball is a good tactic to help with that issue. Lofting the ball also gets it out further on the lane and thus the ball has less time to react.
ad.

dnhoffman
07-01-2013, 03:52 PM
For all my spare ball shots, I target the middle arrow. I stand on the 39 board for the 10 pin, 37 board for the 6 pin (Or 3-10 splits), and 36 board for the 3 and 9 pins. I find by taking that angle, it gives me a lot more wiggle room. No riding the gutter and praying for a plastic ball to hook when it clearly isn't going to. Plus it plays across the heavier oil in the middle to keep it straighter if it is drier lanes.

Pretty much exactly what I do. I did very good with using my strike ball for spares using the 3-6-9 method for a long time but every other game or so I'd tank a spare here or there because there are just too many variables you can screw up with a reactive.

Greenday
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
The 3-6-9 worked well for me when I bowled with a urathane ball on wooden lanes. It just doesn't always seem to be accurate enough now because of heavier oil. As a result, I slow hook my balls for the left side and never miss anymore (On a THS). Slow hooking actually worked really well for me on the Cheetah pattern because it was so short. I've had people tell me you can't do that because it's a sports pattern but my extreme accuracy doing it on the Cheetah begs to differ.

GoodGravy
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Are you shooting ALL your spares with spare ball?

About the only spares that I am using my strike ball on now is the 7 and anything to the far left side. I may also use my main ball for a 4-7-10 but have not ran into that yet.... I have actually found it to be much easier to pick up splits using plastic since I can throw a lot more accurate knowing the ball is going to go straight as an arrow off my hand.