PDA

View Full Version : Summer heat having an effect on the ball?

JDHamm85
06-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Good Morning All,

I have a quick question about bowling during the summer. The house I'm currently bowling at doesn't keep it very cool in the mornings. They have the air on, but only around the approaches, and they won't turn the fans on unless otherwise asked.

Being in the middle of Texas, it is already hitting the 80s here in the mornings, and quite humid. I'm breaking a sweat 15 minutes into a session.

Does the humidity/heat cause the oil to transition faster? I don't believe the house has condition the lanes any differently the last 3 weeks, and I've deep cleaned my ball twice the last two weeks, yet my aura paranormal has seemingly lost its motion. When I first picked it up, I had to stand around 35/36 (first dot from the left), hit somewhere around 17 to keep the ball in the oil, then have it break around 10-11.

I figured I didn't do my first deep cleaning very well 2 weeks go, so I tried again this past Saturday. Dunked it twice in a warm water bucket with some Dawn. After the 2nd time, I was able to press my hand on the ball and not see any oil residue, so I figured it was somewhat back to OOB even though it still had a shine to it. I wipe it after every shot, but I haven't used a cleaner on it yet.

Yesterday, I was standing at 30 (sometimes at 27/26), threw at 10 and had the ball break around 15 (so up the 2nd arrow, much straighter, to hopefully find some friction to get the ball to move). If I tried my normal shot, the ball would either skid all the way up the lane and leave the 1-2-4, or burn out if I threw it right and go light/leave a washout.

The ball has about 75-80 games on it now. Do I need to have it taken to the pro shop and have them revive it?

Also, the person I bowl with has been putting his ball in the conditioning machine the last 3 weeks, and I believe it has somewhat killed his ball (he is throwing a meanstreak.) He doesn't believe me, but I've seen his average drop 20 pins the last 3 weeks. Does conditioning the ball affect the lanes as well?

Thanks to anybody who reads this wall of text, lol.

DLP
06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Not sure exactly how it would impact but being that heat will change the fluidity of any viscous liquid (lane oil) and can also impact the lanes (if they are wood), I'd say the TX heat is having an impact :)

Perrin
06-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I know that here in Illinois the summer heat/humidity very much has an effect on lane oil. It seems to thin it out making it transition faster and absorb into the ball more easily.

Talked to the lane techs and they say they are using the same oil and the same pattern/volume as they do over the winter league. but now the ball comes back without oil lines and I have to stand 3-5 boards left of where I do in the winter.

GeoLes
06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I know that here in Illinois the summer heat/humidity very much has an effect on lane oil. It seems to thin it out making it transition faster and absorb into the ball more easily.

Talked to the lane techs and they say they are using the same oil and the same pattern/volume as they do over the winter league. but now the ball comes back without oil lines and I have to stand 3-5 boards left of where I do in the winter.

Temperature and humidiity defintely has effects on the lanes in general. Heat affects density of the oil and humidity has an affect on the approaches. Higher humidity reduces slide.

panbanger
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I figured I didn't do my first deep cleaning very well 2 weeks go, so I tried again this past Saturday. Dunked it twice in a warm water bucket with some Dawn. After the 2nd time, I was able to press my hand on the ball and not see any oil residue, so I figured it was somewhat back to OOB even though it still had a shine to it. I wipe it after every shot, but I haven't used a cleaner on it yet.

Are you saying you've never used a cleaner on your ball? Like, ever? I would suggest getting in the habit of cleaning your ball after each session, while you are still at the alley. I've learned via these forums that the longer you wait the more the oil will "soak in" to the ball, making it harder to get out without a deep cleaning.

Also, what kind of ball are you using? I have a Storm and a DV8 and I've noticed that the DV8 soaks up oil like nobody's business, and it needs a deep cleaning every few weeks regardless of my rituals at the alley. The Storm on the other hand hasn't sweated out any oil after I heated it up, and that's after bowling about 25 games with it.

JDHamm85
06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
I did stick a couple of times now that you mention it GeoLes. I put on some easy slide before starting and that helps a lot.

I'm throwing an Aura Paranormal pan, with an old Zone as a spare ball. And the Zone usually comes back from the ball return with the oil caked on. The Paranormal not so much. Has a good amount of flare, and I have a very high track; the oil ring is pretty much right next to my index finger.

I haven't taken a cleaner to yet at all. Just the deep cleanings. So yeah, I need to invest in some sort of cleaner. I've read on here that the Simple Green / alcohol 50-50 mix works well. The Paranormal is a dull ball OOB, and right now it has a pretty healthy shine.

Gunz1911
06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Even using a cleaner (USBC approved) while you are bowling can help you out. with my DV8, it gets so much oil in it, that I clean it off with a wet rag every new frame. I use the 50/50 like most others here and you can actually feel the difference with your hands before you clean it (covered in oil) and after, it will seem a lot more sticky/clamy. Just what I have noticed, Definitely start taking care of your ball at the alley.

GeoLes
06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Just get a little spray bottle from a travel kit and fill it with simple green or rubbing alcohol. I use denatured alcohol. There's no magic to it. You can find all sorts of "fancy-schmancy" cleaners out there, but you probably have rubbing alcohol, simple green and the like at home already. Just pack a little in a tiny bottle in your ball bag, dampen a cloth and wipe the ball down after each bowlling session.

billf
06-24-2013, 06:42 PM
The Paranormal is a dull ball OOB, and right now it has a pretty healthy shine.

This bad boy has too much oil in it. If it's still shiny after soaking then have the pro shop throw it in the rejuvenator. The deep cleaning every 45-60 games the manufacturers suggest is in addition to cleaning after every session. Given that you have skipped that part there may be too much oil, too deep for a home deep cleaning to take care of.

Another thing I've noticed a lot lately with Brunswick/DV8 equipment is the heavier oil the ball is designed for, the less you seem to see oil rings. It's as if they soak it up so fast it seems to dissipate before you can see it. I've thrown the BN and the Misfit back to back on the same lane, same line and the Misfit showed a ton more oil. My Storm Natural Pearl is the only ball I have not made by Brunswick/DV8 so I can't comment on them.

J Anderson
06-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Good Morning All,
Also, the person I bowl with has been putting his ball in the conditioning machine the last 3 weeks, and I believe it has somewhat killed his ball (he is throwing a meanstreak.) He doesn't believe me, but I've seen his average drop 20 pins the last 3 weeks. Does conditioning the ball affect the lanes as well?

Thanks to anybody who reads this wall of text, lol.

Are you talking about one of those coin-op machines? As I understand them they clean the surface dirt from the ball and apply a coat of polish or wax. They're great for keeping plastic balls looking nice and shiny but not very good for reactive resin.

JDHamm85
06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks all for the conversation. I'm going to invest in some sort of cleaning method to keep the ball long lasting, and make sure to do it before I leave the alley, or at least do it that day. I'll take it to the pro shop over the weekend.

J - Yeah, it is one of those coin operators every house has. We recently went to the shop because my bowling partner, my father in law, got a nice Storm Black Ice for Father's Day and he was getting it drilled. I was thinking about getting the paranormal revived then but held back because A) it is expensive and B) Wanted to see if my deep cleaning would help.
Long story short, the pro shop guy flat out said that those conditioning machines suck. And I tend to agree. I used it once for my Paranormal, but it was only for a minute and it was just to take some off the aggressiveness off of it. And it worked, I think I averaged a 206 that day.
My Father in law, on the other hand, has put his Meanstreak in there the last 3 weeks, for the max time. He says he likes how he throws it, and that he is more of a straight bowler anyway, but throwing it straight is different than having it skid all the way down the lane, then have no energy to flip and finish. Half of his single pin leaves were flat 10s.

Greenday
06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
It's too expensive to get your ball revived? How much are they charging you? It cost me like $15 for them to do it for my last ball and when I threw it next, I couldn't remember it ever hooking so hard.

GeoLes
06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Are you talking about one of those coin-op machines? As I understand them they clean the surface dirt from the ball and apply a coat of polish or wax. They're great for keeping plastic balls looking nice and shiny but not very good for reactive resin.

I was advised by a pro shop guy to avoid using those machines for your ball because they also tend to seal the pores of the coverstock. Okay for a plastic ball or a house ball.

JDHamm85
06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
It isn't TOO expensive, it just is expensive regardless. I think it was $30 to revive, $40 to revive and resurface. $30 to drill (not counting the inserts) a plastic ball, $60 to drill a reactive ball.

The shop is co-owned by Wes Mallot. He co-owns a couple in town. But the guy who runs it is pretty nice. He gave me a discount and did get a great job on my paranormal. Hopefully when I tell him I'll be bringing him a Disturbed to drill on the way as well, he'll discount me some again.

vdubtx
06-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I have found in summer in North Texas the same things you experience JDHAmm. Think the house I bowl in cuts down on the conditioner in summer and also does not have a good AC system. They actually brought in portable AC units into the center the other week.

JDHamm85
06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I wish the house I go to would invest in some additional AC units or something Vdub. Gotta have a microfiber towel for the ball and another towel for my face lol.

classygranny
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I think the houses here don't really care about the summer league bowlers, they just have them as they know they have to. They want to cater to the kids that come in just to throw the ball as hard as they can down the lane a few games, act silly, and then on to the next activity.

One of the alleys I bowl in oils the lanes at the close of business, then they shut the house up with no air left on and in the morning around 8:30 they turn the fans on, then the ac doesn't go on until 10am, so between 9:15 and 10 you sweat so bad you can't get cooled down even after the ac is on. The other issue is that the condition of the lanes are so different once the temperature reaches over 80 degrees for the low, sometimes it seems like we are bowling on lanes that have been squirted with oil rather than an actually layer of oil. Also, my Defiant Soul tends to pick up the oil really bad in these conditions, so the pro shop guy encouraged me to clean it before putting it away for the day.

I see the balls reacting so differently once this happens - it is really fun and educational to watch the different bowlers try and compensate and some of the things they all try (or don't try) - probably including myself. This is definitely a learning experience - very similar to the "dead zone". Has made me more aware of the other bowlers balls and where they are throwing - which I never really paid attention to before coming to this site.

Thanks to all for all the great help, tips, and ideas.

e-tank
06-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Ive noticed lanes transitioning much faster as well. My HRR barely lasts the first game before i switch out to a polished or 4000 grit

got_a_300
06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Our center changes over to a different oil blend for the summer season
and then back to the regular oil blend for the fall/winter season.

The summer blend is a lot heaver and thicker concentration of oil to help
keep it from thinning out and to help cut down on the oil carrying down
too fast and the winter blend is a lighter/thinner concentration of oil as
there isn't a lot of heat and humidity to worry about then.